advertisement

Technics SL1200g arm height query

…….I don’t like the idea of 2 mats as I feel a single point of interface between platter and disc must be correct from an engineering perspective?…Happy to be shot-down on this as I’m no expert…

Sounddamped steel wotsit, neoprene that comes with it, Auditorium thingy. Works for me.

594-B5-BB2-7-B79-45-A6-BE2-B-B1-AA5-B8-E2-E71.jpg

I don’t like the idea of 2 mats

Its fine as instant solution, in the long run I'd look for the thicker mat.
(Even quicker you might put an old vinyl below your rubber mat)

TBH I have almost forgotten I've got a 2mm cork mat below my SL1200 3mm standard rubber mat.

If you’re Roy Gregory 0.01mm of VTA makes all the difference.
If young Master Gregory had stuck in with his O-levels geometry he could have calculated that the angular difference of change in radians for a 2mm shift down one end of a 230mm line will be 0.48º.

IOW, 0.02º less than half of SFA.

…….I don’t like the idea of 2 mats as I feel a single point of interface between platter and disc must be correct from an engineering perspective?…Happy to be shot-down on this as I’m no expert…

Fair enough.

Not shooting you down at all... but I always imagine that the ideal turntable would allow an LP to rotate in fresh air at precisely 33rpm, perfectly horizontal, with nothing touching it but the stylus - ensuring that only the LP-induced vibrations are transcribed and nothing more.
(Obviously, a fairy-tale...)

This fairy-tale probably explains why many manufacturers successfully incorporate magnetic repulsion and air-bearing technology into their designs.

With all this in mind, I have found that seeking absolute isolation from the platter and bearing and motor, etc. - without losing grip, for torque purposes - has been a useful objective.

Listening quickly reveals the truth of it.

My ears are happy with our BOSTON CARBON MATT stacked upon another synthetic, woven aftermarket sub-mat.
(Can't recall the name of the sub-mat... it was so long ago! :D)

An easy and reversible tweak to try!

I just found an almost identical image of our 25-year-old platter sub-mat. Ours is identical, but charcoal grey in colour.

On its own, this synthetic woven mat certainly trumped the original LINN FELT MAT. The original LINN FELT MAT is certainly not a bad sounding mat, but I suspect its main objective was to generate cartridge sales - it is so darned easy to wreck a cantilever on the felt!

Anyways, this woven, rubbery sub-mat now creates wonderful grip between our LP12 platter and our costly BOSTON CARBON MAT - whilst (presumably) helping to minimise other unwanted vibrations.

The BOSTON CARBON MAT trumped all aftermarket mat comers - spinning solo or otherwise...

The big laugh is, I see our sub-mats are now being sold here for 10-a-penny, as non-slip cake mats! :D

NonSlipMat_Rubber-4copy_928x928.jpg

Last edited:
If you’re Roy Gregory 0.01mm of VTA makes all the difference.

Funny you should mention that - I just re-read the original VPI article by Gregory, and the follow-up by TNT-Audio the other day.

Have been wanting to do a "measurement-based" review of VTA/SRA changes for months now, but it takes a lot of time and energy, and my energy level goes down as we near winter.

But I just might have to do it.

I’ve wound the tracking weight back by .1g to compensate for the “nose dive”, just to be on the safe side. I wonder if there’s a mathematical calculation for every 1degree out to dial out the counterweight?……
The concept of angular difference being modified by change in load makes perfect sense given a compliant suspension, whether this be low, medium, or high. As to the maths, a simple universal equation would be impractical due to the variances of static compliance vs. ambient/operating temperature, however, one can easily measure any difference in height at the headshell end and plug this into an angular difference of change in radians equation. For example...

radians = y/x
where:
y = change in y coordinate about an axis (i.e. change of arm height at headshell or pivot end)
x = radius of axis (i.e. effective tonearm length)​
degrees = radians × (180/π)
where:
π = 3.141593 (Mmmm pi)​

Or, one could take Rega Research's advice that a 0.1g change in VTF will alter VTA by around 1.5º. This from Roy Gandy's long ago published "Rega VTA (Vertical Tracking Angle) Fact Sheet" which was based upon Rega having accurately measured the VTA of at least 100 different cartridge models and coming up with some interesting observations and conclusions. Contrast this ~1.5º with the exact 0.48º that a 2mm spacer (one end or the other) would bring with a 230mm effective length tonearm and we can see that getting the tonearm more or less level and dialling in whatever VTF both tracks and sounds best is the best path to take round all of the dithering about.

I prefer the sound of the stock rubber mat to any other after-market mat I’ve bought but there’s an issue; it’s too low for my Goldring G1042 cartridge. It’s only out by a couple of mm or so but impossible to get the arm perfectly parallel, even with the height adjustment ring just below 0, right at its end-stop.

I’m also using the stock headshell that came with the 1200g.

I’m asking if anyone can recommend a good headshell that’s more accommodating than the Technics that would give me that few coveted mm I need for the G1042?
Or, I think I read somewhere, that Technics themselves produced a thicker version of their rubber mat, does anyone know if it’s still available or what the Technics line code for it was?

I have seen a few threads here and there about this arm-height issue with the Technics on certain cartridges but never took any notice until now…..

Not just me then!

To get the arm parallel with the 2m Black I am using 1mm mats to get the height right.

Playing now an AT-VM95ML I have nearly run out of spindle - adding platter mats to get the arm parallel with a record.
The arm-height control ring is at its least, less than zero.

What a pain in the bum.

Question -

What is the easy way to make a cartridge spacer?

Is this with the stock Technics headshell?

Easiest way is to use a 5-6mm mat no? Like Technics used to.

Is this with the stock Technics headshell?

Easiest way is to use a 5-6mm mat no? Like Technics used to.

yes, stock technics headshell.

yes, I have a 6mm rubber mat that I no longer use on my Saunsui SR-525 tt
That is fine for the 2m,
but for the audio-technica cartridge I am going to make a cartridge spacer-
after no deliberation whatsoever, I will cut up some tupperware lids and use those.
I figure that kind of polyurethane/whatever will be great - inert, tiny bit of flex, but not too much give.

Having a few 1mm silicone platter mats allows many faffing combinations!

I have one of those Audioorigami spacers.

Its not much more than 1mm thick.
Cheap as chips as opposite to many snake oil audiophools accessories.

They work great along with an extra mat below the standard Technics 1200 rubber mat.

Just wanted you to know that I sorted this problem with the original ‘thicker’ Technics rubber mat bought off eBay, second hand.
Worth every penny and, as much as I adore my 1200g, I feel it’s the only failing. Why on earth Technics don’t offer a thicker mat as an after-market option is beyond me as so many owners have this issue?……I couldn’t even get my arm parallel wound as far as it would go below the ‘zero’ marker….and all with their own headshell too!!…which is a thing of excellence.

advertisement

Back