advertisement

Technics RS-1500 Reel 2 Reel, complete service and re calibration

Hi Alan that would be great.

thanks al lot

salvo

Sorry Alan I forgot to ask: Which MRL test tape did you use for the calibration? the 250 nWb/m (+3 dB) or the 355 nWb/m ("+6 dB") ? Does the system manage these values?

Thanks a lot
salvo

I used a 250nWb/m NAB tape But used a RTM SM900 as the basis for the standard calibration

Alan

Hi Alan

I just registered for this forum specifically to jump in on this RS-1500 conversation. I have had one of these decks for nearly 20 years and have decided to do a complete rebuild. Have been reading everything I can find on this particular machine, and am getting materials together. I was very pleased with your capacitor choices on your thread here. Would you also consider emailing me a copy of your Mouser shopping list? I would be most appreciative of that. By the way, nice work on the deck. They are well worth the effort.

Keith Dayer, aka Enginear

Sorry I havent responded but I am not happy with the original list I was given and my mouser list left me with a lot of extra caps that were not necessary so I dont want you to waist your money
Im working on a new Excel spread sheet with all 136 Electrolytics. I also changed out the Ceramics on the Audio boards for COG types or Films where I could
hopefully I will get time to finish it this month
Alan

Happy New Year Alan (and everyone else too!)
Some fantastic work you've done on your RS-1500 and many thanks for explaining it in such detail here.

I'd love to be able to make the same changes you've made to my own deck but I simple don't have your level of skill in this area!
So I'm on the look out for someone to do a serious service of my deck - I don't suppose that you would be interested in the job?
Failing that, can you and anyone else on this thread suggest a fellow forum member who's experienced in working on the Technics RS-1500US?

Thanks again,
Gavin.

Hi Gavin
I would love to be able to help out but unfortunately I just don't have the time
Good luck with getting your R2R service as they are a lovely machine

Alan

the point is how good r2rs are when restored . maybe it was the record source in the 70/80s were under par .well done with the project

A R2R when fully restored will sound as good as when it was new subject to tape head condition.
There are mods, better components and ICs that can actually improve on the original sound
This mod by ANT is said to improve distortion by more than 30dB and I implimented it on this R2R
http://www.ant-audio.co.uk/index.php?cat=post&qry=Modifications

A calibrated R2R will faithfully reproduce a source and the better the source the better it will sound
I have various Digital sources and several very good Turntables and the R2R sounds as good if not better IMHO
I actually love the sound of music produced from tape

Alan

I notice from the schematic linked to that some of the coupling caps used in the Technics appear to be electrolytic types; ie 4u7 @ 25V. I have a Teac X series machine which seems to be the same. I'm just gathering replacement caps now and am inclined to use film caps in those positions. Wima etc. Is that something you've tried & if so was it worth it? I'll also be fitting some Os-Con & Elna Cerafine in place of some of the larger value electrolytics.

I notice from the schematic linked to that some of the coupling caps used in the Technics appear to be electrolytic types; ie 4u7 @ 25V. I have a Teac X series machine which seems to be the same. I'm just gathering replacement caps now and am inclined to use film caps in those positions. Wima etc. Is that something you've tried & if so was it worth it? I'll also be fitting some Os-Con & Elna Cerafine in place of some of the larger value electrolytics.
I didnt try films in those positions, I used Elna Silmic 2 for all caps in the signal path.

Alan

Hi Alan, I have finally started the cap substitution on my R2R. If you don't mind I will probably ask a few questions here and there form time to time. The firs though is : what did you use to clean the circuits boards ?
thanks

salvo

Alan,

I registered just to post that I really appreciate the information in this post. Thank you! I also have sent you a message to to get the Capacitor list from you. Thanks!

Kev
I have sent you a e-mail with the list of caps from the manual
Unfortunately I still haven't finished the list of the actual make and type of caps used
The best advice I can give is change each cap with like for like UF value in the board but don't use 6 & 10v caps use 25v as a minimum, caps are generally smaller now anyway so no problem fitting them in
Print off a good copy of the circuit diag for reference to each circuit board and mark your circuit board with the polarity of the caps where applicable (fine tip Perm marker)
For general tape deck control circuits I have used Panasonic FC
For the power supply board The large caps I used Nichicon LKG
In the signal path on audio boards I used Elna Silmic 2
Other on audio boards I used Nichicon FG
Where there are Ceramic caps on audio boards I changed them for the same value in COG type or film if they were higher values

Alan

Well, I have 2 RS-1500's, and I was having a little trouble with one, so decided it was time for a rebuild. I was going through the caps list from the Service Manual, and got thinking, somebody must of done this before, so I did a search and found this site. What an amazing scope of knowledge we have here. So, I would also like to request a list of the caps used, I would actually pay something for it. I need to get solder and braid, and was wondering if anybody had favorites there as well. So far just the info on brand of caps, some I knew and some are new to me. The tip of marking the polarity on the board is excellent, I definitely will do that. I was going to start on the audio board, but was looking for suggestions of where to start first. Anyway, any help is greatly appreciated, and yours sounds fantastic, even on a you tube video.

Well, haven't got a response from anybody yet. Ordered a first round of capacitors and installing them. Need a circuit board holder so I order that. Second round of caps will be coming Monday. Amazing how much smaller the caps are even with higher voltage. The SILMIC caps seem to be a back order from Mouser, so guess I will be using regular caps.

Gary sorry I haven't responded work has been very busy for me lately.I still don't have a complete list of capacitors used but you can see which types I have used by the photographs
The caps that go leaky first are the 6v & 10v ones you will see a green corrosion on the legs.
Alan

advertisement

Back