advertisement

Technics RS-1500 Reel 2 Reel, complete service and re calibration

337alant

Negatively Biased
I have started on a complete service & calibration of my Technics RS1500 US Reel 2 Reel

My model has a Record Playback on the 2 track heads and playback only on the 4 track heads so very versatile

These are a beautiful R2R with a unique tape handling transport

http://www.thevintageknob.org/technics-RS-1500U.html

The speed stability and W&F are excellent due to the quarts Phase locked DD capstan drive motor with twin Capstan Roller tape drive.

Being manufactured from 1976 to 1981 they really were quite advance for their time but show their age with the simple belt driven counter

IMG_1948 by Alan Towell, on Flickr

So as some of these decks are over 40 years old they have started to suffer from Capacitor failure, particularly the 10V versions, sometimes failing short causing more damage to other components and ICs and also causing damage to the PCBs from leaking electrolyte so I decided to change out all of those purple electrolytics.

20180810_152535 by Alan Towell, on Flickr

For the general purpose caps I used Panasonic FC , for the audio boards I use Elna silmic, Nichicon Muze KZ and Fine gold and where there was Bipolar I use Nichicon ES, all purchased from Mouser

There was some values of electrolytic caps of less than 1UF so I replaced them with all film types.

Tantalum caps (only a couple in the machine) were all replaced with Electrolytics

On the audio board I replaced all ceramic films for COG or film types.

All replacement caps had a minimum voltage rating of 25V

There is a bit of work in this machine stripping it out and there are wires everywhere so it pays to take photographs when you are dismantling.

IMG_1916 by Alan Towell, on Flickr

IMG_1894 by Alan Towell, on Flickr

20180730_212943 by Alan Towell, on Flickr

Like a lot of old kit it was very dusty inside so a good dusting with my air line and paint brush go the majority off, a little Isopropanol on a soft brush did the rest (be careful with Isopropanol on film caps)

[url=https://flic.kr/p/29ZGUhh]IMG_1900 by Alan Towell, on Flickrhttps://flic.kr/p/29ZGUhh[/URL]

Whilst it was stripped right down I serviced the 3 tape tension bellows which have a little silicone washer that can get leaky, also the rubber bellows themselves felt quite dried out so I cleaned them with platen clean rubber cleaner and rejuvenator and they are all working fine now. These bellows are a very fiddly job even with the deck stripped down.

IMG_1940 by Alan Towell, on Flickr

Also removed the reel motors and cleaned the brake hubs and pads, the bearings feel good so nothing else to do there.

I removed the huge capstan motor and cleaned the shaft, again the bearings feel perfect so left well alone.

I lubricated all of the tape tension linkage.

I cleaned all of the pots and switches with Caig deoxit D5 moving them multiple times back and forth

I removed every circuit board and recapped it as above and inspected all for dry soldered joints and reflowed where suspect.

Found some bad corrosion on the main control board and Capstan control board where pieces of foam are used to support the board from the cross bar
I treated it with some solder flux and then scraped away the mask
Fortunately the tracks were not to badly damaged so I tinned the tracks and re-flowed all of the IC connections.

IMG_1901 by Alan Towell, on Flickr

IMG_1903 by Alan Towell, on Flickr

IMG_1906 by Alan Towell, on Flickr

I re seated the Transistors in the power supply with new mica washers and heat sink compound and upgrade the 3 main power supply caps from 2200uf to 3300uf 50V.

I was advised on Tapheads.net to carry out a mod to the line amplifier which is said to give an improvement in distortion more than 30db as advised by Alex Nikitin from http://www.ant-audio.co.uk/index.php?cat=post&qry=Modifications

So I implemented that whilst I was in there

IMG_1915 by Alan Towell, on Flickr

Last edited:
The mains switch was also faulty so I got a replacement from Amazon and changed the Rifa switch X2 caps across the mains and switch contacts I also removed the 2 core mains lead and replaced it with an IEC socket so I could earth the metal case

20180813_182703 by Alan Towell, on Flickr

20180809_162842 by Alan Towell, on Flickr

I replaced the plastic feet with some rubber amplifier feet

IMG_1946 by Alan Towell, on Flickr

So after reassembly it is working very nicely but it is still not finished as I need to go right through the manual and check all voltage settings, reset tape tension and brake settings, capstan motor speed settings and do a full tape alignment and calibration for tape type RTM-LPR-90 and SM900

This machine has NAB equalisation and I don’t have a calibration tape for that, all mine are IEC so I have ordered one.

I ordered an excellent Service manual for this machine from Stereomanual.com which has full size and detailed Circuit Diags not cheap but excellent.

http://www.stereomanuals.com/man/rep/technics/technics_manuals_rs_xx.htm

New page

Here are the circuit boards recapped before reassembly.

Power supply recapped with Nichicon caps

IMG_1925 by Alan Towell, on Flickr

Main Control board re-capped

IMG_1908 by Alan Towell, on Flickr

Reel Motor Tension Control circuit board re-cap with Panasonic FC

IMG_1933 by Alan Towell, on Flickr

Reel Motor driving circuit board, Re-Cap with Nichicon ES Bipolar Caps

IMG_1931 by Alan Towell, on Flickr

Mic & Meter Amp circuit Board Elna Silmic 2 and Nichicon fine gold caps used

IMG_1887 by Alan Towell, on Flickr

Head Phone and Mic In circuit Board, Elna Silmic 2 caps

IMG_1888 by Alan Towell, on Flickr

Main Amplifier Control board, Elna Silmic 2 caps used

IMG_1889 by Alan Towell, on Flickr

Last edited:
That's a beauty! Alan
It’s one of my favourite looking R2Rs

Wish I had your skill and confidence in restoring these

Beautiful - GREAT job Alan! I’m extremely envious - looks (and sounds) fabulous!

One of these is on my audio bucket list if I ever win the lottery! :)

One thing I have been looking for is a set of chrome toggle switch covers so if anyone knows where I might find a set of 6 let me know

Alan

Hi Alan, my bad I thought they had op amps in the audio circuits but I've checked the service manuals and the audio circuits are discrete so you're all good. The Revox B77, Pioneer RT-909 etc used 741's or similar which by modern standards are poor performers.

Whilst I have the strongest admiration for the OP and his work, it has the opposite effect on me and leaves me worried that there is so much to go wrong in a RTR! But I just love the format so much....

Mike I guess with all vintage equipment there is always that possibility that something is going to fail
That why I like to do a little more than just fix whats wrong as a form of preventative maintenance
A Reel 2 Reel has more mechanical moving parts which also need maintenance like lubrication of bearings and mechanisms, cleaning the tape path and rollers but i do find them very reliable once set up correctly

Alan

Last edited:
Been getting some more time to look at the R2R, after re-capping it you need to check through all of the settings and check if everything is within the specified range
I have been getting slack tape after FF so had a look at the breaks. The original felt pads had glazed and worn out so were ineffective, so i resurfaces the brake lining on both take up and supply reels with 1mm adhesive cork, after adjustment they are now working properly and no more slack tape
20180920_155628 by Alan Towell, on Flickr.

Its important that the Huge capstan motor is running smoothly, so connecting a dual trace oscilloscope to the TP902&TP907 points on the capstan control board I found that the Sawtooth signal was only 5- 7V and should be 5-10V so adjusted that and that the pulse was out of phase with the sawtooth as it should cross it at 7.5 V. .Anyway easy to adjust and its running silent and smooth.
20180920_123918 by Alan Towell, on Flickr
I checked the tape tension at the IT & IS points and adjusted them to 0.31V for IT and 0.21V for IS
I stuck a 3kHz speed ref tape on it and its running perfectly at each speed.
Wow and flutter was also a very impressive 0.015% which is a result of the RS1500 superb tape handling mechanism.
More check s to follow Alan

Last edited:
Apologies of course it is. I was reading something about Rumours earlier & it was on my mind.

advertisement

Back