advertisement

Technics RS-1500 Reel 2 Reel, complete service and re calibration

Thanks Simon, I have received NAB my calibration tapes today so I will make a start on that tomorrow.

Alan

An ambitious project.

I remember my father bought a R2R (TEAC?) of the same era. When he put the tape on for the first time the reels they were rubbing on the front plate. As it was a grey import he got stuck in to see what was wrong. It must have been dropped, the heavy reel motors had been pulled off the mounting pillars. About half an hour later it was in bits. An hour later the pillars were reversed allowing the screws to get a hold of fresh threads. It ran like that for many years. Dad used to record R3 composer of the week to listen to later.

The old Teacs are good machines and still very popular in USA, I still have a Teac 3440 a 4 track all in one direction machine which was very popular with musicians years ago

Alan

All the original 'flying nun' (NZ label) recordings were made on a 3340. I've got it's little brother the 2340, and a technics 1700, and maybe a couple more which have followed me home. I used to drag R2Rs home from flea markets and school fairs since I was about six years old ,and I've had a thing for them ever since.
I'm going to have to get myself some alignment tapes, most of the guys who know how to fix them up have retired now...
I recapped my 1700 (144 caps iirc) but haven't done anything else to it besides the ANT mod.

Chris Knox:
hero_thumb_a208.jpg

Very nice Cubastreet
This is the 15ips NAB Cal tape I bought
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=302311420897
I have had 6 different cal tapes from this guy and they are good
I only used to buy MRLs before which have been regarded as the ref but you get very limited range of tones and by comparison between an MRL and a tape as above I only found an difference of 0.5dB

Alan

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I'd love a R2R, but if I'm honest they scare me to death, plus I've nowhere sensible to put it, they look so cool though.

Is the Teac X10 Mk2 a decent machine? There’s one on eBay for a reasonable price when I’m close to,pulling the trigger on, but thought I’d check in with the experts here first :)
Certainly is. I had one for about 20 years, although in truth I did not use it much for the last 10. Sounded (& looked) brilliant.

Certainly is. I had one for about 20 years, although in truth I did not use it much for the last 10. Sounded (& looked) brilliant.

Yes I must admit it was the looks that I first noticed. Just wondering what the serviceability is like, whether it's easy to get parts for etc. I'll have a look over at the tapeheads site too.

John
Yes the X10 is a very good machine and that one looks in excellent condition
The heads look about half worn, the record head looks like the wrap is slightly out (Wrap is horizontal rotation)

Alan

The calibration procedures for the RS1500 are really not straight forward and unlike any other R2R I have worked on
Its also limited to 1 tape type and speed and you can attempt to adjust the EQ and Bias to suit other tape but those switches are of limited use so its better to just decide on one tape type and get it the best you can for that tape
I have done mine for RTM SM900 which will also is pretty good with the LPR-90
It sounds excellent I must say with great voice and string tone sound and low distortion
Its hard to represent that on a youtube video as the sound on my camcorder doesn't have great sound

Alan

Hey Alan - no idea of SQ, but I want a decently priced copy of Vanessa Fernandez - Use Me, thank you :)

Hey Alan - no idea of SQ, but I want a decently priced copy of Vanessa Fernandez - Use Me, thank you :)
Yeah it's a grest album I have the SACD and Vinyl. Both are great but vinyl has a bit of a roar to it ?
She has a new album out called when the levee breaks which is also excellent and all led zep covers
Alan

Hi Alan, I just wanted to say hi and you've done a great service to the community with your posts on the RS1500. I love these machines and have had several of them in the last 20 year. Now I have purchased another one to supplement my Studer A810 and I plan to do exactly what you have done. I am not skilled as you but I will have a go. Just want to say Thank you and if I may will put some questions to you when I will be in difficult waters (and I will).

Scarra, thank you for you kind words and am willing to help you in any way I can, just ask

Alan

Last edited:
Scarra the Studer A810 you have is a superb machine as well and streets ahead of the RS 1500 on build quality as it is a professional machine.
I completely recapped mine as well and I should dig out all the photos and do a similar thread to this.

Alan

Hi Alan,
I totally agree, the 810 is a wonderful machine but because it is a pro I have it mantained by the guy I bought it from as he is a professional. Actually I will shortly have a service on that kit by him. Regarding the Technics, If I can ask: would you have the complete cap list needed to do the complete change. Would really appreciate it.

Salvo

Salve
I only have a basic list that I was sent for the RS1506, I then went through every Cap in the manual and picked out all the electrolytic s and then looked at the diags to see where they were placed and chose the cap based on its location in the circuit, I had that written on a piece of paper but I cant find it now unfortunately :confused::(.
I do intend to update the excel spread sheet when I get time
I can give you a copy of the initial list and my mouser order if you like

Alan

advertisement

Back