advertisement

TANNOY....

All good points and hopefully the guys at tannoy will watch this .they seem to be at all the shows now so they are producing new exciting stuff but they are scoring nil points for PR

I suspect the harsh reality is that the former operation out of Coatbridge was not profitable. High end hifi is a declining niche market and the destructive impact of Brexit would have incentivized the owners to restructure the business. It is disappointing that the owners are not transparent about where the speakers are now manufactured. I think most customers would be fine with the speakers being made outside the UK as long as there is full transparency and a clear commitment to quality and customer service.

High end hifi is a declining niche market

Worldwide, seems unlikely. Have you any data to support that?

the destructive impact of Brexit would have incentivized the owners to restructure the business

Only relevant for sales within the EU. My guess would be that Asia, as a whole, would be the expanding market, not Europe and NA (although the same applies to NA as to Asia - totally unaffected by Brexit).

The vast majority of people could not give a flying toss where anything comes from, so long as it does what they want for a price they regard as no worse than acceptable. That includes 99% of people buying hifi.

The vast majority of people could not give a flying toss where anything comes from, so long as it does what they want for a price they regard as no worse than acceptable. That includes 99% of people buying hifi.

Show your data! I suspect at the high-end/luxury goods market a lot of people don’t want things made in dictatorships or by children. There are some areas where it is all but impossible to avoid this, but hi-fi is not one. The most desirable kit is made by skilled craftsmen who earn a fair wage in the UK, Europe, America, Japan etc. Same story with guitars, watches, wine etc.

PS This obviously happens at the bargain bucket end of the market, but once you can afford a Rega, Sugden, Magnepan, Accuphase, Naim or whatever why wouldn’t you buy it? Or maybe, like so many of us here, choose to restore the absolute classics of the past.

Worldwide, seems unlikely. Have you any data to support that?

Only relevant for sales within the EU. My guess would be that Asia, as a whole, would be the expanding market, not Europe and NA (although the same applies to NA as to Asia - totally unaffected by Brexit).

Think your on shakey ground speaking for the vast majority straight away...

Same story with guitars, watches, wine etc.

Wine????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

You obviously know next to nowt about that. Far too complicated to destroy that contention. Let's just say that Bordeaux, Nappa Valley, Barossa and suchlike can only be made in Bordeaux, Nappa Valley and Barossa, and suchlike
I suspect at the high-end/luxury goods market a lot of people don’t want things made in dictatorships or by children
Show your data.

As I said, I very strongly suspect that the growth is in Asia...............................................................

You obviously know next to nowt about that. Far too complicated to destroy that contention. Let's just say that Bordeaux, Nappa Valley, Barossa and suchlike can only be made in Bordeaux, Nappa Valley and Barossa, and suchlike

Show your data.

As I said, I very strongly suspect that the growth is in Asia...............................................................
My in-laws live in Napa, CA, and the wine’s pretty good there. I’ve visited dozens of times. Never heard of Nappa Valley.

My Tannoy’s say Made in the UK in 2005. I suppose that was Coatbridge.

Last edited:

I know next to nothing about wine (beer for me), but I once was visiting a Champagne factory in Spain.

AWW... Man. There aren't enough words in a thesaurus tae describe... " what's so good? "
Come to think of it, I did audition recently Fyne F1-5s and F702s but purchased ATC active 50s.
Might just be our personal tastes or are they different to the classic big box Tannoys we associate with them?

Show your data.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I suspect the harsh reality is that the former operation out of Coatbridge was not profitable. High end hifi is a declining niche market and the destructive impact of Brexit would have incentivized the owners to restructure the business. It is disappointing that the owners are not transparent about where the speakers are now manufactured. I think most customers would be fine with the speakers being made outside the UK as long as there is full transparency and a clear commitment to quality and customer service.
There's a difference between profitable and maximising profitability. I suspect music group are guilty of the latter-Tannoys aren't cheap, the ex Tannoy Coatbridge team managed to build a company based in Scotland from scratch and Fyne look to be profitable, innovative and building the dual concentric drivers that had Music group made the investment could've been still made at Coatbridge. Go vintage Tannoy( that includes early 90's tulip System DMT Monitor units they are the real deal) Gold,HPD,K series for pepperpots. All excellent.

I suppose we will never know the answer since the profit and loss of the various brands within the conglomerate would not be in the public domain. If Tannoy UK was still making some money it would be a terrible decision to do the restructuring they did to chase every last penny because of the damage to the brand this would cause. It seems like a decision you would take if Coatbridge was hemorrhaging cash.

I suppose we will never know the answer since the profit and loss of the various brands within the conglomerate would not be in the public domain. If Tannoy UK was still making some money it would be a terrible decision to do the restructuring they did to chase every last penny because of the damage to the brand this would cause. It seems like a decision you would take if Coatbridge was hemorrhaging cash.
I know from an ex-Coatbridge employee who worked in design that the profit was in the cabinet that Asia loved - not the electronics.

I’d like to, having the time,hear some of the other high end models currently in production, just out of curiosity. Personally, my trust in the company has gone on a few levels. Maybe they can make a miraculous turnaround??…

I know from an ex-Coatbridge employee who worked in design that the profit was in the cabinet that Asia loved - not the electronics.

FWIW I actively dislike the Prestige cabinets. They really are beautifully made, stunning in fact, but the styling is pure Franklin Mint/Crossley chintz. A Daily Mail view of the past mixed with Hogwarts.

Tannoy (when they were really Tannoy) were always quite modern and fitted with current style. There was nothing backward-looking, nostalgic or chintzy about a pair of early ‘50s York corner cabs, GRFs, or a mid-70s pair of Ardens. They were of their time.

I much prefer Fyne’s Vintage range, at least they are mostly clean, unadorned, and follow basic form dictated by function design. I‘m not a fan of their ‘steampunk drainpipe’ ranges though.

advertisement

Back