advertisement

TANNOY....

Im yet to be convinced with the fyne gear. I heard a pair of (not cheap) floorstanders last year I think. I thought they weren’t putting out any bass and could there be something wrong with the bass drivers. After a week or so of me planting the seed, the owner opened them up to find one small piece of wadding in a bare cabinet and really cheap crossover components. Of which I wouldn’t have paid the price tag for.

Interesting. I’ve never heard any Fyne speaker regardless of budget. To be honest the only thing I’d consider swapping my Monitor Golds for is a similar condition pair of 15” Reds. I’ve little if any interest in the current audio market, though I’m very pleased to see the Coatbridge folk found something productive to do after all the ugly venture capitalism that took their jobs. I wish them luck. It is always sad to see once great and innovative UK audio companies ending up as a meaningless corporate branding on stuff made in China.

Im yet to be convinced with the fyne gear. I heard a pair of (not cheap) floorstanders last year I think. I thought they weren’t putting out any bass and could there be something wrong with the bass drivers.
From the measurements I've seen the F300, F500 and F700 series all have a bright balance but F1 series looks more neutral.
The one common trait is their incredible ugliness...

Non-heritage Tannoy tweeters have for several years now sported a very high impedance. With valve amps and other high ouput impedance amplification they're bound to sound quite bright or treble-dominated even when the measured response is flat/neutral.

From the measurements I've seen the F300, F500 and F700 series all have a bright balance but F1 series looks more neutral.
The one common trait is their incredible ugliness...

Non-heritage Tannoy tweeters have for several years now sported a very high impedance. With valve amps and other high ouput impedance amplification they're bound to sound quite bright or treble-dominated even when the measured response is flat/neutral.
They were a little bright, it was the lack of bass I was puzzled at

The better Fyne and Tannoy models all have level and roll-off controls so the treble horn can be tailored to usage context. Fyne look to have taken this even further by having continuously variable controls rather than the traditional presets that have been part of Tannoys since the Monitor Gold in 1967. I like that idea a lot. A speaker designed for practical real-world usage rather than simply spaffing a flat line on a graph.

There's a difference between profitable and maximising profitability. I suspect music group are guilty of the latter-Tannoys aren't cheap, the ex Tannoy Coatbridge team managed to build a company based in Scotland from scratch and Fyne look to be profitable, innovative and building the dual concentric drivers that had Music group made the investment could've been still made at Coatbridge. Go vintage Tannoy( that includes early 90's tulip System DMT Monitor units they are the real deal) Gold,HPD,K series for pepperpots. All excellent.
Fyne looks like it's been making heavy losses from its submitted accounts but it improved last year. Maybe they expect to turn a corner...

The better Fyne and Tannoy models all have level and roll-off controls so the treble horn can be tailored to usage context. Fyne look to have taken this even further by having continuously variable controls rather than the traditional presets that have been part of Tannoys since the Monitor Gold in 1967. I like that idea a lot. A speaker designed for practical real-world usage rather than simply spaffing a flat line on a graph.
I would prefer a continuous control on my mk1 Arden’s, though just backed off one point on the treble energy is just right, advice given by cooky, he knows his onions.

I’d love to be able to easily get to mine! My Lockwood are for Reds, so have no panel cutout, so the control panel is just floating around inside. I have to remove all the bolts holding the back panel on to get to them! At some point I’ll find someone sufficiently skilled with a router to do the needed cutout really neatly for me. That said as soon as I did it one could guarantee exactly the right pair of Reds would appear (I’ve been quietly looking for years)!

FWIW my taste with my system is between both controls ‘level’, which is where they are now, and the ‘roll-off’ at -1. That maybe takes a little too much top off, but doesn’t drop the midband/crossover region back the way the ‘level’ control does. If the controls were more accessible I’d likely use them based on what I was playing.

Fyne looks like it's been making heavy losses from its submitted accounts but it improved last year. Maybe they expect to turn a corner...

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully fortune will smile soon.

It is disappointing that the owners are not transparent about where the speakers are now manufactured.
Most brands know the importance of marketing value where the kit are made.
Engineered or assembled in UK means NOT made in UK.
Thats the reality nowadays for many so called established brands.
I bet Naim had a hard time writing made in Slovakia on their new Classic kit.

I've met people who still believe Quad, Leak or Wharfedale still are made in UK - usually because people owned the stuff back then.
Most hifi kit nowadays have a mix of parts which comes from many different countries.

There's a difference between profitable and maximizing profitability.
Exactly.

The point here is that it's about the people. The heads of Tannoy did not want to continue under the new owners as they did not agree with the profit driven direction they wanted to go in. Fyne was the result. Building the speakers in Scotland was inevitable as that's where these people live. There was no question of building the high end speakers in China as this was the very issue that caused them to leave Tannoy in the first place.

None of the Fyne cabinets are made in the UK. The cheaper speakers are wholly made in China. From the mid range up the cabinets are made in Eastern Europe and the drive units and crossovers are made in Coatbridge where all assembly is done. All of the design work is also done here.

The only thing the guy in the video gets wrong is saying that the old Tannoy factory has been demolished and the site built on. The building is still there and still vacant.

There's a difference between profitable and maximising profitability. I suspect music group are guilty of the latter-Tannoys aren't cheap, the ex Tannoy Coatbridge team managed to build a company based in Scotland from scratch and Fyne look to be profitable, innovative and building the dual concentric drivers that had Music group made the investment could've been still made at Coatbridge. Go vintage Tannoy( that includes early 90's tulip System DMT Monitor units they are the real deal) Gold,HPD,K series for pepperpots. All excellent.
I‘ll take your word on that given your experience with the brand. The only Tannoy’s I’ve heard are the two pairs I own. Very happy to have acquired them when I did. You don’t see them much in North America.

FWIW I've never been that impressed with Tannoy cabinets from the UK made models I've had, be that the 70s Cheviots, or 90s Stirling TWW and Stirling HE. All three basic chipboard boxes with minimal bracing, and although the Stirling models have some nice walnut edging it only feels skin deep. Really disapointed with the Stirlings as both had bass colouration with some odd cabinet vibrations going on, especially compared to similar vintage KEF Reference Three-Twos, felt far more substantial and far better in the bass department.

The Stirling TWW are very similar in size to the Yamaha NS1000M and the cabinet construction is miles better, despite a mix of Plywood and Chipboard in the NS1000Ms, far more substantial despite probably being cheaper to make without the nice veneer and solid wood edging.

I've also had DC1000, MX1 and Sensys DC1 as well, again cheap cabinets but for more budget ranges you expect that of course.

advertisement

Back