advertisement

Tannoy Monitor Golds

Right (I don't know if this deserves a separate McCarthy thread?). I have just dug out my CD of 'thats all very well but, the best of McCarthy'. For the Damned is just spectacular, close to 'Cold' by The Cure for sheer darkwave power. Only sounds right on 15s...

However, I did not remember the rest of the tracks being so strangely produced when compared to the album versions. 'An MP Speaks' sounds like an entirely different track - the bass is so forward, the guitar so recessed. 'Charles Windsor' too is very differently produced.

James.

Is there anyone who makes and sells bespoke cabinets for Tannoy drivers?

I would like to try the Tannoy thing, but would need to come up with some cabs to take 12" drivers with some nice W.A.F to get them allowed into our lounge!

Gerard.

These look the business.

ThommosTannoys020.jpg

R.

Those eBay ones certainly aren't Lancasters, far too low and the wrong shape. IIRC they are a Canadian or US-only design, I think called Mallorcans.

These look the business.

ThommosTannoys020.jpg

R.

My brother and I built these.
Unfortunately he has taken them home to his house.

He is using them with Cary 805 Anniversary power amps and the sound,especially running 211 valves, is pretty special.

I have to get around to building a pair for myself now.
About 100 hours of labour and a surprising amount of solid cherry timber went in to them.
They are also quite complex internally with full corner blocking and plenty of internal bracing.

When you make speakers like this you realise the new Tannoy Prestige speakers are very good value.

It's hard to gauge scale from the pic, are they 12" or 15" Tannoys? They look very good IMO, kind of like a less squat Canterbury SE.

Yes they are 15s.
The cabinet volume finished up at about 270 litres.
25mm MDF cherry veneer.
The design is a Canterbury copy but made taller and not quite as wide.
The Canterbury cabinets are too low and really need stands under them.They are also a bit small for the Monitor Golds.

I've just snapped up a pair of (hopefully) near-mint Tannoy Lancasters fitted with 15" Monitor Gold drivers. Apart from refreshing some crossover components, has anyone got any thoughts or recommendations for the Lancasters? I hope to be able to use them pretty close to the back walls of my listening room - they are only 12" deep so they should not dominate the room!

Yes they are 15s.
The cabinet volume finished up at about 270 litres.
25mm MDF cherry veneer.
The design is a Canterbury copy but made taller and not quite as wide.
The Canterbury cabinets are too low and really need stands under them.They are also a bit small for the Monitor Golds.

Did you design the cabinet yourself? I am sure I saw them on an Australian forum. Are the plans available? Thanks! Steve

Here is the difference between internal volumes of 180L/270L/300L tuned to 27hz-the extra volume gains you extra output with a hump at 30hz, higher port tunings make the bass peak even larger.
One reason why I advise against going above 200L, unless you can get your (very large) Gold's out into the room clear of boundary reinforcement you can end up with way too much low bass.
6059011133_d27f088a1e_z.jpg

FWIW I reckon mine are a bit bass-light, even with the horn running one step below level. I think my cabs are about 200L, though I've not filled them up with orange juice to check. To my ears the 75L sealed corner cabs were weightier, though that may just be that they were better made / more rigid.

FWIW I reckon mine are a bit bass-light, even with the horn running one step below level. I think my cabs are about 200L, though I've not filled them up with orange juice to check. To my ears the 75L sealed corner cabs were weightier, though that may just be that they were better made / more rigid.

The ebs alignment does roll the bass off with a -3 to -6 dB shelf below about 200hz which in most average sized rooms comes in handy in preventing bass that beats you up.
Just out of curiosity as you can access the ports, I'd stuff them with old socks/cushion to see/hear what effect it has....

Just out of curiosity as you can access the ports, I'd stuff them with old socks/cushion to see/hear what effect it has....

Yes, I plan to try that. I was planning to stick a couple of pillows behind them next time I take the backs off just to see what it does. I also intend to brace the cabs a bit as the baffle is way too thin IMO (they are an accurate York copy, i.e. just as flimsy as the real thing!).

advertisement

Back