advertisement

Tannoy Legacy vs Harbeth

just a small clip of the eatons , only using a teac udho1 dac off spotify so forgive the sound quality . they are sounding superb with jolida modwright dac though

track is first song done by a friend , zemirah mayah on spotify

Hard to hear on the computer, but the impression is of a very present 'warmth' in the mid/upper bass region, a decent top end (no harshness) and a bit less mid range clarity that the H5's...I liked both extremes of the frequency but prefer the Harbeths in the middle, so barring the latter fact, they may suit my hard and bright room well. Now, how to add a bit more mid range openness?

yes you have it bang on , as you say my first attempt at a youtube video . i had a lovely recording by eva cassidy with the jolida dac but youtube blocked due to copyright !!! so i had to think who i could use and so my phone was controlling the sonos and filming too !! i guess one day i willl get a mike to do it properly . there is a lovely warmth in mid and upper range and decent bass too . but would absolutely agree that it can`t compete with the incredible transparent midrange of the shl5plus . but i find the tannoys can play for a good long time with no fatigue and their imaging is just incredible . very very holographic and thats really why i like them .

bearing in mind these class d monoblocks cost me 270 quid i think they are rather a bargain , the jolida modwright dac makes a big difference too . robert the importer[ex] of jolida has done a fine job on this dac . I could add more openess by using a music first pre amp like the baby ref , that really would blow the socks off the tannoys [ had 6 mfa pre amps including the baby ref] but they have no remotes and i like my remote . so the bel canto pre 3 vbs is about the level of a mfa classic v2 and does very well . but its not as good as the modright 36.5 dm[ 2 box] it replaced nor the audio research ref 5se long gone [:(]

yes I forgot the imaging and sheer presence of the music...I know Tony's always bangin on about this outweighing any slight tonal weaknesses. I must hear some at home one day. In a room about 18' x 12ft with a very high ceiling, and the lux having plenty of power, which model do you think I might try...there's a ton of width to the room...the corners are nowhere near the speakers, but a stair behind the listening seat means it's only 8' or so from chair to speaker. ??

advertisement

Back