advertisement

Tannoy Legacy vs Harbeth

I had a demo pair of the new Tannoy Eaton’s here on home demo for a week up against my Harbeth SHL5 Plus.

No contest in my room, I much preferred the Harbeths, the Tannoys went back to the dealer.

I had a demo pair of the new Tannoy Eaton’s here on home demo for a week up against my Harbeth SHL5 Plus.

No contest in my room, I much preferred the Harbeths, the Tannoys went back to the dealer.

How so? Would you mind sharing? Cheers!

How so? Would you mind sharing? Cheers!

I listen predominantly to classical music, a lot of opera, and some 50’s / 60’s era Jazz. Zero rock or pop.

For me the Tannoy lacked the mid range realism of the Harbeth most significantly with voices. I also expected a better bass response with the large Tannoy drivers, but that did not happen, the Harbeths sounded better in the bass to me.

I'm afraid to say @hifinutt but that isn't right.
Harbeth SHL5+ 40th A.E.
UwozJt.png

Tannoy Legacy Eaton
mvURLV.png

not too good at understanding that diagram but amazed if on paper they go deeper . very amazed . My son loves dubstep and music that has a `drop ` the harbeth were useless in this respect !!! the eatons can shake the floor and certainly to my ears , sound better at organ[/QUOTE]

Both look to have a fairly similar low frequency response, judging from the frequency test charts, but the Tannoys do have some bass lift at around 100-200Hz, whereas at that point the Harbs are rolling off gently. The Harbs do extend deeper. The Harbeth measures better across the frequency range - the Tannoys are up and down from about 1kHz onwards.

From the charts I would expect the Tannoys to sound ‘fuller’ in the bass, especially with organ music, perhaps because of the bass lift at around 100-200hz. A large pipe organ sounds remarkably bass-rich compared to what we’re used to with hi-fi. I use a sub with my speakers, which is a liability with rock, but very lifelike with organ. I can see where your organist friend is coming from.

I've just realised that I've had my original Tannoy Eatons for two years now. That follows the year in which I couldn't really live with the SHL5Plus, the shorter time in which I enjoyed the Monitor 30.1 but wanted more bass, and the year in which I adored ESL63s, but was frustrated in equal measure. The Eatons have just been much easier to live with. This is partly because they are a medium sized speaker in my medium sized room (I don't subscribe to the only tiny or huge speakers work philosophy). But mainly because I was able to get bespoke crossovers. I couldn't have lived with the Eatons as they were originally voiced (very studio) just as I couldn't live with SHL5Plus (a little too distant for me, but also too big for my room). The speakers that most satisfied me in stock condition have been ESL63s, but you can't dance to them. Otherwise I would have taken Proac D30R over all of them, but as one dealer said to me, their bass response gives them a rather 'heroic' voicing. If Stuart Tyler has created a more even bass response with the D30RS, as he had said, then I would be wanting to hear those before I invested in SHL5Plus or Eaton Legacy.

not too good at understanding that diagram but amazed if on paper they go deeper . very amazed . My son loves dubstep and music that has a `drop ` the harbeth were useless in this respect !!! the eatons can shake the floor and certainly to my ears , sound better at organ

Both look to have a fairly similar low frequency response, judging from the frequency test charts, but the Tannoys do have some bass lift at around 100-200Hz, whereas at that point the Harbs are rolling off gently. The Harbs do extend deeper. The Harbeth measures better across the frequency range - the Tannoys are up and down from about 1kHz onwards.

From the charts I would expect the Tannoys to sound ‘fuller’ in the bass, especially with organ music, perhaps because of the bass lift at around 100-200hz. A large pipe organ sounds remarkably bass-rich compared to what we’re used to with hi-fi. I use a sub with my speakers, which is a liability with rock, but very lifelike with organ. I can see where your organist friend is coming from.[/QUOTE]

This is a good explanation of my experience with the two. In my room the Harbs had lower bass but the Tannoys were quite rock n roll, the bass hump no dpubt adding to this.

Hifinutt - the Harbs in your room looked way too close to the wall corner (but the picture perspective might be giving the wrong impression), the recommended position is at least 0.5m from the sides and 0.3m from the rear. The darker balance of my annies gives the impression of a fuller bass than the previous regular shl5+ i had on dem.

The Tannoys were slightly less fussy of position in my experience probably due to the heavier construction.

Yes you are correct , sadly I have to have them near walls and that's one reason the harbies could not stay.

Jump to the cheviots. Once stands are considered it's basically the same footprint and you'll just get better everything.

And fwiw I can't think of two more different sound signatures, harbs vs. Tannoy. For me it would be Tannoy all the way, even though they are assuredly less detailed, airy, and tonally honest. I'd just rather shtup jenna Jameson than Margaret thatcher.

Interesting, the Harbeths look much flatter on the measurements.

I should have a listen to both, but perhaps getting cold feet for a Tannoy foray. Agreed the Cheviots might make more sense than the Eatons, I just fear they’ll be too ‘big’ sounding for a room with neighbours above!

Does anyone have any experience with the Tannoy Legacy range? Ideally the Eatons.
yes , replaced the harbeth shl5plus with tannoy eaton legacy . could not get on with the harbs which did not seem to do deep enough and becuase they were near walls did not get on well in my room. loved them in my loft room but ultimately too much for my lugholes

P1050239 by , on Flickr

– Are they picky about placement, and do they require a 'sweet spot' seating position?

the eatons can go near walls , they have incredible imaging . remarkable

710d07bd281792c513ca34e88525aa76da578137 by , on Flickr

P1050287 by , on Flickr

What is the sound signature? Warm? Detailed? Natural? Lively?

this i find is very sweet and non fatiguing . you can of course adjust them to your room

P1060716 by , on Flickr

What about stand heights? Can you get away with a low stand and not have the tweeter at ear height?

i have mine just about the same heigth as the shl5plus i.e 51 cms from the floor to base of speaker

They seem to 'review' well in the blogs/ mags. What about any gripes? Anything they don't do well?

any gripes ..well i have to keep the grills on as they are hardly lookers !!!

How do they compare to Harbeth? I currently have Harbeth P3ESR. How do they compare to these, and also SHL5+?

they go deeper than the shl5plus . had an organist here who is nuts about playing organs all over the place and he loved them . they may not have the same incredible midrange as the shl5plus but you can listen to them all day with no fatigue

the p3esr are remarkable and had these recently , i would say the eatons have the same sweet sound but just much BIGGER

Any thoughts much appreciated! Thanks :)
The placement of the Harbeth Super HL5+ is far from ideal. They need considerable space from the front and side walls. The wooden speaker stands also would have affected the sound a little.

All in my experience.

The placement of the Harbeth Super HL5+ is far from ideal. They need considerable space from the front and side walls. The wooden speaker stands also would have affected the sound a little.

All in my experience.

yes agreed , they love free space . the speakers were on isopucks on the stands and they make a huge difference

Interesting, the Harbeths look much flatter on the measurements.

I should have a listen to both, but perhaps getting cold feet for a Tannoy foray. Agreed the Cheviots might make more sense than the Eatons, I just fear they’ll be too ‘big’ sounding for a room with neighbours above!

the cheviots really are a big leap in size . the eatons are the same size as the shl5plus and would be worth trying first . bigger is not always better

The cheviots are much more volume, yes, but the footprint is roughly the same.

The cheviots are much better as well. And not much more money.

yes the eaton is about 15 " wide and the cheviot about 17" approx . not much in it . and not a lot of difference in price . they do weigh a fair bit more though 20kg for the eaton and 29kg for the cheviot . I did look at the cheviot but couldnt fit them in. The eatons sound pretty damm good . especially with drums and vocals . I would agree with disarmanent on the midrange , i thing the shl5plus is incredible in the midrange , open and airy and spacious . but i just find them a bit toppy and as mentioned i feel they don`t have the bass i want . The eatons s don`t make my ear ache and you can really turn them up if you want ! And you can tune them to your likes with the adjustments at the bottom . When i had martin logan summit x i really liked that as you could tune to your ears as well . We are all so different , especially with speakers .

just a small clip of the eatons , only using a teac udho1 dac off spotify so forgive the sound quality . they are sounding superb with jolida modwright dac though

track is first song done by a friend , zemirah mayah on spotify

Someone should start a video thread. I know it doesn't show you how a system sounds but it's still interesting.

advertisement

Back