advertisement

Tannoy Chesters- what do I need to know?

Looking forward to hear what you think of them.
I never thought i'd sell my Kans but the Tannoys (system 10) are much more satisfying.

Did you see the pair that went on eBay for £105 (collection from Basingstoke)? Someone hopefully got a bargain...

All this Tannoy talk got me interested in taking the plunge on a pair of System 1000's. Thanks, I think.

John,

I've heard that the later range of passive tannoy studio monitors (System 800, 1000 and 1200) aren't a patch on the DMT range and was an exercise in cost cutting. Might be worth holding back for a pair of older DMTs which most Tannoyistas agree are excellent.

Well, they're in place and I am very impressed. Far better than they have any right to be for the money (as compared to modern hifi prices). And absolutely no honking, I'm pleased to report.

Will post more in a few days once I've had a chance to let them settle in and listen to them a bit more... suffice to say my PNPs are up for sale... :)

Glad you like them JTC. Despite what others may say, speakers haven't really improved much over the last 30 years or so.

All this Tannoy talk got me interested in taking the plunge on a pair of System 1000's. Thanks, I think.

I had a pair of these until recently. I lent them to one of my friends for a demo and he liked them so much he would not give them back, and in the end I had to sell them to him. :D

They do sound very good as they have an ultra solid braced mdf cabinet with a 30mm front baffle, and more importantly, they use the tulip wave guide and modern compression driver in the horn which eliminates the honk problems of the earlier types of horns.

I picked up that pair, last year, on Ebay, in mint condition, for £225.

You won't be disappointed by them if you get a pair.

John,

Go with what Mark says, I am only going from second hand information and haven't heard a pair.

I read somewhere that the DMT 1, 2 and 1000 all sound very similar but secondhand info again.

I read somewhere that the DMT 1, 2 and 1000 all sound very similar but secondhand info again.

All DC Tannoys that have the same horn and xover sound similar. They either do more or less bass depending on driver and/or box size. It is why Tannoys have been so popular in the recording/broadcast industry. You could move from one studio to another and carry on working on the same piece of music knowing Tannoy monitors were giving you the same picture.

I have never heard a pair of Tannoys, so this purchase is nothing but a leap of faith. If Mark is correct, then I think I'll be very happy. I won't get them for a few days and in the meantime need to figure out how I want to attach them to the concrete wall in my basement. If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears. I was planning on mounting them portrait with the ports facing upward. I'm pretty certain Linn Brakits can take the weight of the speakers but I have to figure out if I can get my hands behind the speaker to tighten the brakit once the speakers are in place. I hope to fit them into the hole in the wall where the ATC's/SO wall stands reside, but I will need to make that opening a bit larger. There is 16 inches between the studs and the cabinet is 13 inches wide so I'll have three inches to the side to get my hands in there to tighten the brakit.

pict0596rwd0.jpg

small-SYS_1000_350px.jpg

John, be aware that these are really heavy mf's at something like 18ks each inc drivers, so if they are going on the wall make sure the brackets are up to it otherwise you may end up with a crater in the floor :D

Btw, they will sound best on floor stands with a bit of space behind and to the sides, turned in and pointing to the apex of the listening triangle. That will give the optimum setup for imaging and sound stage depth and height. DC Tannoys excel at imaging and sound stage because of the single point source due to the concentric drivers, which is another reason for their popularity in recording as there is no ambiguity in where you place an instrument in 3d space during mix down.

Here is a link to their data sheet http://www.tannoy-speakers.com/products/162/SYSTEM 1000.PDF

ps. I have another pair of Tannoy's with modern tulip horn 12" DC drivers but won't say more than that...actually, that not true because I also have a pair of 7" tulip DC drivers as well :D

The information sheet on the Brakit says it can be used with the Linn Accurate 225 speaker which is 10 lbs heavier than the S1000's so I'm assuming it will be OK as long as the back baffle of the S1000 can handle the stress. I think there are four screws that hold the brakit to the back of the speaker.

I don't have much choice on placement, they will be about five feet off the floor and I will be able to toe them in a bit. I'll be sitting some 18 feet from them as well. The room is pretty big so I'm hoping booming bass will not be much of an issue.

Thanks for the info sheet, I've got it saved.

I'm soaking up as much information about these speakers. I found this link to a Tannoy white paper to be quite an interesting read.

Here's a question I'd like to throw out for any engineering types. I'd like to use a Linn Brakit to attach my speakers to a concrete wall. One side of the brakit attaches to the back of the speaker which consists of 19mm high density particle board. The Linn Brakit fastens to the speaker using 4 screws spaced 6 X 3 inches. Do you think the screws will hold with the material involved and the thickness of the back panel? The Brakit is suppose to work with a Linn Accurate speaker weighing 46 lbs, mine are 36 lbs.

f0a6e692-.jpg

Thanks Robert, I found that first site the other day, the second one is new to me. Not looking forward to hefting the two Brakit pieces onto the wall. It seems to me like threading a needle blindfolded. Has anyone ever worked with a brakit before?

Really looking forward to getting them all in place and working. I think the speaker will be quite different from anything I've ever heard, being point source and all. I'm also looking forward to having a bigger driver for this larger sized room.

What's your plan regarding Tannoys? You appeared to like the one's you had.

What's your plan regarding Tannoys? You appeared to like the one's you had.

I got bigger ones, though still not huge by Tannoy standards.
Found a pair of Little Gold Monitors which use 12" drivers.

They needed some cabinet work after the courier had thrown them around but ended up looking really nice. I made them look a a little more retro with new grill cloth and brass badges:

P7310925.jpg

P8010930.jpg

P7260880.jpg

They look very nice, so I guess your a convert. Nice to have a grille, I'm hoping someone doesn't put a pool cue through mine.

Oooh...LRM/LGM's, one of my favourite Tannoys from that era, my favourite being the 10" variety, which are as rare as rocking horse shit.

Btw, iirc that should be a circular badge on the front. The lightning flash badges are for MG backwards cabinets, though it still looks good.

advertisement

Back