advertisement

Tannoy Chesters- what do I need to know?

Btw, iirc that should be a circular badge on the front. The lightning flash badges are for MG backwards cabinets, though it still looks good.

I still have the round ones but they are manky looking plastic things.
The new cloth is also definitely more 60/70s than 80s but I think it looks much nicer. Fortunately, having a big, bluff veneered box means they can 'take' different period looks.

A friend Dev who posts here has LRM10Bs and it's partly having heard his sounding superb that I took a punt on these.

From what I can find dotted around the net, the main difference between the LRM and LGM (assuming same driver size) is that the crossovers are hard wired and use plugs instead of switches to alter the response.

From what I can find dotted around the net, the main difference between the LRM and LGM (assuming same driver size) is that the crossovers are hard wired and use plugs instead of switches to alter the response.

LRM was strictly pro audio whereas LGM is more blingbling domestic :D

If your mate ever wants to part with the 10B's let me know.

A friend Dev who posts here has LRM10Bs and it's partly having heard his sounding superb that I took a punt on these.
Glad to be of service Rob:). Just a minor correction though, mine are SRM10Bs, which have IMO cheaper looking pots for treble control than your taps.
If your mate ever wants to part with the 10B's let me know.

Not likely:). If anything I'd like to buy a pair of DMTs as well:).

SO, seeing as you guys have hijacked my thread... :p

WHO is going to sell me a pair of larger Tannoy DCs? Or, failing that, a pair of 12" drive units (I can get my own cabinets made)...????

Just wondering...

john

The Brakit idea is out, not recommended by Tannoy with that particular speaker. They have a wall bracket called the TAP5, that will work and it will be much easier to implement.

Neil, tempting, but to be honest I'm in no hurry - I'd like to spend some time with my Chesters first - who knows, they may be all the speaker I need, ever!

TAP5 sounds suspiciously like an old Target one and some of these were good (can't remember which ones though), like a larger upturned SO one but purely "L" shaped if looking from the side so the uprights are hidden behind the speaker...

Target were such an accommodating firm and went under for reasons other than poor turnover I think. A great shame IMO.

Target Audio Products No.5 is a wall bracket. Good products.

I believe they went under because of an not very successful expansion into the USA and some fall out of the directors. That plus a huge downturn in stand and rack sales, not just for them but all similar manufacturers.

TAP5 sounds suspiciously like an old Target one and some of these were good (can't remember which ones though), like a larger upturned SO one but purely "L" shaped if looking from the side so the uprights are hidden behind the speaker...

Target were such an accommodating firm and went under for reasons other than poor turnover I think. A great shame IMO.

I haven't gotten them yet but the pdf file I have makes them look similar to these so maybe Target made them for Tannoy.

6393_1.JPG

The speakers are due today, hope they arrive in one piece. I'm thinking I'll take the quads out of action and pair the S1000's with the Exposure 15. Once the TAP5's arrive, I'll move them downstairs and box up the SCM7's.

MarkS, seeing (reading) that you've had a lot of experience with various Tannoy drivers, I hope you don't mind me asking you for an oppinion...

I have a pair of 3828 drivers at home and I haven't quite decided in what cabinets to put them into - any recommendations perhaps? I could live with something up to the size of R-GRFs... Any view on the drivers themselves (being one of the first none-AlNiCo ones if I'm not mistaken but still with Pepper-pot)?

Any thoughts will be much appreciated! (goes for other's as well...)

Cheers.

Well I got them today. They look brand new and the build quality is superb. I have them sitting on the floor in front of the quads tilted up by some books and they sound very nice and coherent. I think I'm going to really enjoy these especially once I get them downstairs where they're intended to go. I'm still waiting for the brackets before I can get them in place in their permanent home.

These speakers are so much more effiicient than the ATC's or Quads which are both around 84db vs 94db for the Tannoys. Played pretty loud, I can't even see the woofer moving. It's been a long time since I've had a moving coil speaker of this size, I think it's going to be fun! I'll get to experience what James and others have been going on about the advantages of larger drivers.

Here's a picture to show their immaculate condition. Probably the best photo you'll see of them because once they get down in the cave, where there's very little natural light.

Cheers,
John

pict2662rkx0.jpg

Is the book title a hint about the bass capabilities of your new speakers?

John (will post pics of my Chesters soon)

Is the book title a hint about the bass capabilities of your new speakers?

John (will post pics of my Chesters soon)

That's funny, I just grabbed a couple books I had nearby and after I took the picture noticed the title. The book is actually about golf.

I'm hoping they work where I plan on putting them. I may have to find some bungs for the ports and experiment with them a bit but I like what I'm hearing so far.

I've seen the photos taken by Robert when he owned your speakers and they looked very nice, more WAF than the pair I own. Mine will just blend into the dark wall and you will probably notice them less than the ATC's on the white SO stands, though maybe not as they're 3 or 4 times larger. :eek:

Enjoy the change!
John

advertisement

Back