Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Tannoy Chatsworth 12" MG rebuild advice.

Discussion in 'classic' started by awkwardbydesign, Feb 26, 2021.

1. awkwardbydesign

awkwardbydesign Officially Awesome

I've started making the curved sides. I couldn't get 4mm birch ply locally, so I am making them like barrels, with staves. 3mm hardboard inner face, then the staves (cut at 3.75 degrees) and then a 3mm hardboard outer skin. One glued, another drying.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is the shape. 33mm thick front, 24mm top and base. 24mm back, 24mm sides. 18mm cross braces, bitumenised felt damping, black foam grilles, veneered panels, dark brown leather front, vertical oak side strips. Most of which I have, so I will be using it.
    [​IMG]

tonerei likes this.
  2. awkwardbydesign

All 4 sides made, and one pair screwed to the top and bottom plates, to maintain the curve.
    [​IMG]

3. awkwardbydesign

4. awkwardbydesign

[​IMG]
    And as I can't safely lift them now...
    [​IMG]

simonpyeman likes this.
  5. awkwardbydesign

Now making the blocks for the slot vents. 48 needed, 20 done. 10mm x 144mm in 18mm and 9mm ply, to allow for tuning. 4 slots per cab, calculated as 81mm deep, plus 28mm fronts for 109mm total, plus extras, up to a max of 127mm.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. awkwardbydesign

Both fronts slotted, and one set of blocks screwed on. Total slot depth 109mm, inc front panel. Removable to adjust, plus or minus.

[​IMG]

7. awkwardbydesign

And this is how it fits together.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 9, 2021 at 5:20 PM
    Fatmarley likes this.