advertisement

Talking Heads' Remain in Light downmix - the best version ever, period!

I'm afraid I must admit to never having investigated THs properly.
Obviously I've heard many songs of theirs as they are at that level of fame.
However, I only have Naked and a compilation lurking in the collection.
That leads to the question, which other album to seriously listen to next in order to catch the THs bug?

I couldn't stand TH when I was younger but about 5 years ago I listened to Talking Heads: '77 and I just 'got them'. I think their first 4 are now pretty much essential listening. Did you know Johnny Marr plays on a few tracks on Naked?

They are truly excellent.

They've been around for while. I posted a thread about them a few years ago. Tony insta-deleted it for copyright reasons.

I've been wondering what other multichannel music would be like once downmixed to stereo - there are a lot of multchannel albums out there so there might well be a lot of downmix diamonds just waiting to be discovered. Mmm

Do any of you guys have the equipment to have a go at downmixing yourself? I think Robin's onto something here and it would be great to know how to go about doing it myself. I see the guy sold the equipment he used to make the downmixes, which he did in real-time, so I wonder can it be done with software to the same high standard. Answers on forum, please.

If it needs to be done with hardware well I don't have all the equipment needed; I've got a blu ray player with multichannel outputs but I don't have a sound card or whatever to capture the audio. Hopefully we can figure it out between us.

I’ve not investigated mine, but wouldn’t there be some option in your BluRay player’s menu system to downmix 5.1 to stereo? I would’ve thought it would be essential: I only use the stereo output on my player, and not every BluRay disc has a native stereo soundtrack.

Thanks a million for reminding me of these. Had downloaded them but had forgotten to put them on my music hard drive. Had a quick listen to Houses in Motion it is the same version that was released on HDTracks. That version is/was my favourite version but have high hopes for this version. Had listened to them on Youtube and liked how clear all the instruments are presented.

As an aside DB played Dublin last week. He is as good as ever. Different show completely again from previous tours but that is typical of David. Really tight band. Think it will go down as a ground breaking tour. Theatrical which might not suit all but using wireless mics and having all the band mobile with no drum risers etc is very innovative. Band are excellent live and DB has energy that you don't see in many 66yr olds!

True Stories has massively benefited from this mix. The album which has a number of tracks I really like always sounded like dirge. Just a mumbled mess the versions from the film were much more nuanced. This mix is excellent even Puzzlin Evidence is as clear as daylight!

advertisement

Back