advertisement

Talking Heads' Remain in Light downmix - the best version ever, period!

windhoek

The Phoolosopher
I came across this a while ago and in my mind, it's the best version of Remain in Light ever heard. First press, deluxe press, super duper digital download? No thanks - give me the 5.1 downmix every time!

You can read about the making of the downmix here by the guy who made it, Robin Sharrock (in a nutshell, he downmixed the 5.1 multichannel version released on DVD-Audio to stereo), but if you just want to jump straight in and hear the best version of Remain in Light in existence, then simply press play and enjoy. Bon appétit :)

Yeah, the guy did an amazing job of downmixing the 5.1 mix to stereo; I think the multichannel mix must have extra content that's missing from the normal stereo version. On my system, the FLAC download sounds amazing :)

I see on his site he was asked to do the same for other albums but couldn't because he had to sell all his kit. Last post was almost 2 years ago though so not sure if he did get around to doing some others. If he had met the request for the Japan albums that would have been great although I did buy the recently release half speed masters of Tin Drum and Gentlemen Take Polaroids which are amazing.

Has anybody listened to the other Talking Heads 5.1 downmixes Robin Sharrock did? They get great write ups from people on his site.

Jack

I see on his site he was asked to do the same for other albums but couldn't because he had to sell all his kit. Last post was almost 2 years ago though so not sure if he did get around to doing some others. If he had met the request for the Japan albums that would have been great although I did buy the recently release half speed masters of Tin Drum and Gentlemen Take Polaroids which are amazing.

I must be missing something. I understood downmixing to be taking a multichannel mix and converting to 2 channel stereo, as per the TH example in the OP. I wasn't aware any of the Japan stuff had been released in multichannel format. Am I wrong? If so, which albums & when cos I would certainly like to hear them. If I'm right, what was he going to downmix from if he hadn't had to get rid of his kit?

Has anybody listened to the other Talking Heads 5.1 downmixes Robin Sharrock did? They get great write ups from people on his site.

Jack

I downloaded all of them and although I later deleted the concert downmixes (Rome and Stop Making Sense) as the source material wasn't especially dynamic, all of the studio downmixes are excellent. Remain in Light is probably the best because it's the best album as Eno's grubby little mits are all over it (I know he worked on others but he outdid himself here) and the multichannel mix is a real tour de force in multichannel music, but even so, all of the studio downmixes are pretty good all the same. They're all on Youtube as well - click here to view the list :)

I downloaded all of them too....and after a few seconds of listening to the link above I am wondering why I haven't listened to them more...thanks for the nudge Derek!

I know what I shall be listening to at my desk tomorrow - it'll be a Talking Heads day!

(Today was a Steve Reich day....)

I downloaded all of them too....and after a few seconds of listening to the link above I am wondering why I haven't listened to them more...thanks for the nudge Derek!

I know what I shall be listening to at my desk tomorrow - it'll be a Talking Heads day!

(Today was a Steve Reich day....)

Steve Reichday? Now there's a day I can get behind! ;)

I downloaded all of them and although I later deleted the concert downmixes (Rome and Stop Making Sense) as the source material wasn't especially dynamic, all of the studio downmixes are excellent. Remain in Light is probably the best because it's the best album as Eno's grubby little mits are all over it (I know he worked on others but he outdid himself here) and the multichannel mix is a real tour de force in multichannel music, but even so, all of the studio downmixes are pretty good all the same. They're all on Youtube as well - click here to view the list :)

Thanks for letting me know. Got hold of the other downmixes and will give them a listen in the next week or two.

Jack

Last edited:
At the risk of being shot down in flames, I'm listening to the MQA version on Tidal now and it's very good.

I'd like to hear the OP version but gave no means of doing so.

I've just compared the flac of Born under Punches, against my LP (bought on the day it was released). The LP wins hands down.

I've just compared the flac of Born under Punches, against my LP (bought on the day it was released). The LP wins hands down.

Interesting you should say that - while the LP might yield something a digital version simply can't, are you really saying you prefer the 'conservative' mix of the original over the blow your socks off-dynamic downmix? I think the LP sounds positively tame by comparison.

I find much more dynamism in the LP. Right at the start, the opening phrase on the LP crackles like a bolt of lightning that hangs in mid-air; it has much less presence on the flac file, to my ears.

I haven't played the LP for a while so if you say the opening on the LP is more dynamic then I'm sure it is. The overall feeling that remains with me however is that the downmix is more feral, more imaginative, more jam-packed with funk and groove. But of course, there's no debating personal preference so I'm pleased you've at least got something you can enjoy all the same :)

Any chance of the matrix of your LP? I assume you have a UK copy? Mine is the German Alsdorf EU pressing (A4/B6) which seems way more common. I think I bought it fairly soon after release, but not on the day. Usually when there is a UK and a German Alsdorf of a title I tend to prefer the former, though the latter are almost always flat, centred and quiet!

Any chance of the matrix of your LP? I assume you have a UK copy? Mine is the German Alsdorf EU pressing (A4/B6) which seems way more common. I think I bought it fairly soon after release, but not on the day. Usually when there is a UK and a German Alsdorf of a title I tend to prefer the former, though the latter are almost always flat, centred and quiet!

Just checked the LP, which I bought in Birmingham, so it must be a UK copy. The etching on the vinyl is the same as the catalogue number - SRK+6095+A (or+B), and then STRAWBERRY. Also comes with a picture inner sleeve, and lyrics sheet.

I haven't played the LP for a while so if you say the opening on the LP is more dynamic then I'm sure it is. The overall feeling that remains with me however is that the downmix is more feral, more imaginative, more jam-packed with funk and groove. But of course, there's no debating personal preference so I'm pleased you've at least got something you can enjoy all the same :)

Absolutely :) and thanks for prompting me to listen to one of my favourite LPs - I remember being very excited when both Fear of Music and Remain in Light were issued, and making sure I got to the record shop just before it opened.

advertisement

Back