advertisement

Talking Heads do my head in

Jumpiness on the "TH were chuffing ace" bandwagon here. 77 and Fear Of Music my favourites. Always loved DB's eponymous album, oddly one of the first CDs I ever owned.

it looks like 82 might be...

Wembley Arena, I was there, very good, as was David Byrne at Wolverhampton Civic Centre in 1993 with a small band that also did an early Later With... show.

I would agree that the early albums, up to Little Creatures, were the best period and then the collaborations with Eno and Fripp rate highly.

Tom Tom Club are a hoot!

Bet I'm fairly alone here. He's just been on 6music now and I even turned it off for 5 mins. He's a one trick pony, usually chanting or shouting over some supposed world rhythm. Not enough good songs to justify his status as a near-legend IMHO.

Mr Jones was the song...utter crap.

And you may find yourself
Living in a warehouse
In another part of the EU
Behind the screen of a large PC
And you may ask yourself, well
How did I get here?

"The Name Of This Band Is Talking Heads" is a stonking live album, I much prefer it to the more popular live album they did a couple of years later, side 1 in particular.

Living in a warehouse
Behind the screen of a large PC
How did I get here?

I've edited it to more closely represent reality...I think it fits the song better too.

Living in an old underground warehouse
Behind the large screen of a small PC
How did I get here?

38981381445_4c9b9442ef_k.jpg

I used to absolutely detest them with 'Road to Nowhere' particularly getting on my t*ts - that said, most school 'alternative' discos played 'Psycho Killer' and that used to get people shambling about and singing along with the chorus.

Then I bought a copy of 'Remain in Light on cassette', god knows why, and found out that there was a period in their history that did it for me: funky, driving, Adrian Belew making funny noises. :)

I've bought a few more but it's really only 'Fear of Music', 'Light', 'Speaking in Tongues' and 'Name of the Band' and that live in Rome video

Any love for Jerry Harrison and the Casual Gods.

I used to absolutely detest them with 'Road to Nowhere' particularly getting on my t*ts - that said, most school 'alternative' discos played 'Psycho Killer' and that used to get people shambling about and singing along with the chorus.

Then I bought a copy of 'Remain in Light on cassette', god knows why, and found out that there was a period in their history that did it for me: funky, driving, Adrian Belew making funny noises. :)

I've bought a few more but it's really only 'Fear of Music', 'Light', 'Speaking in Tongues' and 'Name of the Band' and that live in Rome video

Any love for Jerry Harrison and the Casual Gods.

iZimbra is brilliant and a bit of a forgotten track as is almost the whole of DB's My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts.

I used to absolutely detest them with 'Road to Nowhere' particularly getting on my t*ts

I can sympathize with that - I like all their studio albums bar Little Creatures and True Stories. I used to think Remain in Light was their best but I now prefer Fear of Music, it’s a stupendous record.

Liked 77- I was still at school and saw the Strathclyde Uni gig with the Ramones. Saw the Jam at the same venue- off my face I seem to recall. Underage drink and drugs- I blame society.

iZimbra is brilliant and a bit of a forgotten track as is almost the whole of DB's My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts.

'Bush of Ghosts' should be in everyone's collection. It's 'companion' album, 'The Catherine Wheel' isn't bad either.

They played Eric’s in Liverpool supporting The Ramones in 77 too (link). That is a gig I’d have liked to attended.

One of my biggest regrets is not going to see TH at Erics, I have enjoyed them since "Love > a building on fire", a single which I played most days
David Byrne has a new album out in March, so I suspect this thread will be resurrected then.

Just unbelievably good new wave music. One of my favourites, I love the way they reinvented themselves, and whilst Naked might not be their strongest, the mix of funk, world music and stinking melodies is still great. If you don’t get it, that’s ok.

Those first four albums have to be some of the most significant in rock history. They inspired whole generations of acts.

Bet I'm fairly alone here. He's just been on 6music now and I even turned it off for 5 mins. He's a one trick pony, usually chanting or shouting over some supposed world rhythm. Not enough good songs to justify his status as a near-legend IMHO.

Mr Jones was the song...utter crap.
We disagree about a long list of things, Rich, and I think you're wrong about most of this too, but have to agree Mr Jones really is a painfully weak effort. The band was already falling apart by then.

I saw them at Radio City in NY in 1980. Fantastic concert, about the time Remain In Light came out, maybe just before: they played the songs but the record in the shops at that time was Fear of Music. I still love those 2 albums despite listening to them heavily for years.

As a youth I listened to Remain in light a hell of a lot. But last 20 years I've got no wish to play it again. Odd, as most other music I listened to I still play.

As a youth I listened to Remain in light a hell of a lot. But last 20 years I've got no wish to play it again. Odd, as most other music I listened to I still play.

I went through that for some reason and I can’t explan why, but give it a go! I loved it again as soon as I gave it another spin!

...and that live in Rome video

Just watched that now, truly amazing stuff! I so wish I’d got to see them at that time. I stand by the mid-70s electric Miles comparison I made earlier, great use of additional musicians and Adrian Belew doing everything he later took to King Crimson is just the icing on the cake. Funky as a funky thing. In a league of their own at the time.

Arguably 'Blind' from Naked was a bit ahead of it's time...

Blind said:
It was light by five
Torn all apart
All in the name of democracy
He's hurt, he's dying
Claimed he was a terrorist
Claimed to avert a catastrophe
Someone should've told him
That the buck stops here
No one ever said
He was involved with thieves
They're blind, blind, blind