advertisement

Talking Heads do my head in

Don't think they ever played the UK, certainly not Glasgow anyway which is why the SMS film was so popular.

I've never seen them live either but the OGWT performance of Psycho Killer is outstanding and right up there with the Wailers and Bob Marley's performance on that programme circa 1973.
That had to be checked out...a band like Talking Heads would likely do better here than USA, so I could not imagine them shunning it. I see some concert history data showing they played UK as early as 1977

That had to be checked out...a band like Talking Heads would likely do better here than USA, so I could not imagine them shunning it. I see some concert history data showing they played UK as early as 1977

Did they play here after 1977? Think that was around the time of the OGWT performance.

they didn't really give it a proper go, though...seems they just about gave up playing altogether by the mid 80s

they didn't really give it a proper go, though...seems they just about gave up playing altogether by the mid 80s

That's what I thought, they were pretty much an off the radar band back then, I got into them about 1980/1-ish.

I'm certain that they never came to Glasgow or Scotland.

Interesting choice of support act in 77.. still better than putting them on with a punk / new wave act, eh?

28097571639_77e7dbbb71_b.jpg

Reactions: jay
They played Eric’s in Liverpool supporting The Ramones in 77 too (link). That is a gig I’d have liked to attended.

I saw them on the Fear Of Music, Remain In Light (still in my top five gigs ever), and Speaking In Tongues tours.
So, yeah, bit of a fan.
David Byrne's solo career has been a bit patchy; but I'm still dead excited to be seeing him again in June.

I saw them on the Fear Of Music, Remain In Light (still in my top five gigs ever), and Speaking In Tongues tours.
So, yeah, bit of a fan.
David Byrne's solo career has been a bit patchy; but I'm still dead excited to be seeing him again in June.

I went to Spetse, Greece on holiday about 1984/5 and SIT's had just been released so there was no way that we would have been able to hear the album until we got back home cause Spetse was really in the back of the beyond but the first place we landed in (bar) at about 8am in the morning when we got onto the island was playing the entire album.

I saw TH at Leeds Poly in 1977. I'm pretty sure it was with Blondie but that might have been another night!
Edit after seeing the tour poster above... With Dire Straits. So were Blondie around the same time, with Television?

Anyway TH were great and I love all the albums, most played now is probably the funk side of "The Name Of This Band Is... " There are some boots from that time that are even better.

How can the OP not love "Mr Jones"? Great vocal, fantastic brass arrangement and sound, and a witty reversal of Dylan. It's one of my favourites.

They played Eric’s in Liverpool supporting The Ramones in 77 too (link). That is a gig I’d have liked to attended.

That's an interesting link to the Liverpool Echo. Not sure that is 100 % correct.
Ramones did play Eric's in 1977, it was the day of the FA Cup Final and I didn't manage to get back to Liverpool in time. Not sure TH played but no reason to doubt it as they were both on Sire Records.
I saw The Ramones at Rotters, Liverpool on 25/8/80. The Echo photo may be from that gig not the Eric's '77 one. There are barriers at the front of the stage. Eric's used steel crush barriers from about '78 but I dont recognise what is shown in the photo.
The photo of The Slits is mine! The Echo have nicked it off The Eric's '77 Facebook page. I don't have an issue with that. The photo was I believe taken at Eric's on 6/1/79 , not the '77 gig.
I saw TH at Eric's on 22/1/78. Dire Straits were support. TH were SO different to anyone else.

advertisement

Back