advertisement

Takeaways

I was away at RAF Brize Norton last week for three days/two nights. Not an ideal situation, but a contract to meet. No hotels, no restaurants. Had to stay in Gateway House which is a large hotel type of building on the base, but it’s only intended to accommodate people for one night if they’re flying out the next morning, for example. So no telly, no table, uncomfortable bed, shared toilets and showers. Bored. In the extreme, even with devices, book and mags. Paper thin walls too.

The mess is cheap but, I’ll be diplomatic, not to the standard I cook at home. One veggie option, no fish. It was stodge.

So I grabbed an Indian takeaway from Curry Paradise in Witney. Very nice, have had a couple of sit downs there in the last year. Only problem being that Cameron’s photo was everywhere as he has frequented it.

Probably a bit of a schlep from Brize, but there's a couple of other nice ones that way if they're still under the same ownership. One in Lechlade and the other is a cracker in Cricklade, the Ancient Raj I think it's called.

Thanks. Lechlade should be ok. The company keeps an eye on mileage, so we need to be sensible. Fingers crossed :)

Good point. I was just trying to point out that it is people own choice what they eat, whether good or not so good and that it is really no body else’s business.

You’re right, of course, but I bet a few people here have changed what they eat and drink because of what they’ve read in some threads.
I eat far too many simple carbohydrates and I struggle to cut down. A couple of years ago there was a very long thread here about it, and, without abiding by strict rules, I did manage to cut back. I still need to cut back more.
If excessive consumption of simple carbs, salt and alcohol had no repercussions for the NHS, I’d say yeah, carry on.

i've been making my own indian food over the past 3 weeks and it's actually better than takeaway. quality ingredients and grass-fed lamb can overcome a lot other factors.

Oddly, we have probably had more 'take-away' food in the last few weeks than before the nonsense all started. A local, very walkable, pub offers finish-at-home meals. It is their way of keeping some business going and we are very happy to support a weekly purchase from there (we would not normally go that frequently) as well as an occasional visit to the local fish and chop shop, which is passable. I must say I was rather hoping that a few of the McD/KFC/Domino type places would collapse into the ignominy they deserve.

^ Ha the fast food crap have longer queues than usual.
Lowest common denominator is the winner in everything.

The nearest thing I normally get as a "takeaway" is something like a tub of hummus, a couple of tomatoes, and a baguette from the supermarket. A cheap and healthy end of week treat.

I'll have a trad takeaway just a few times a year, usually as a shared meal.

^ Ha the fast food crap have longer queues than usual.
Lowest common denominator is the winner in everything.
Astonishing, queues round the block for McDs and KFC on the first day after Level 4 lockdown ended in NZ; some punters waiting outside the doors before sparrowfart.

Did you see the TV program with Paul Hollywood in Japan. I know it has been panned by a few commentators - but last night part of the program was filmed on Okinawa. Which used to have the healthiest food and lifestyle on the planet, with many very old people keeping fit and well until a very good age. That is, until the US base arrived and got the local population hooked on fast food - now there is a whole generation of overweight Japanese men dying in their 60s.

Very similar to what I witnessed in the Dhahran area of Saudi, post-Gulf Bunfight 1991 edition.

as well as an occasional visit to the local fish and chop shop

in north america, a chop shop is a place where they take apart stolen cars. is it a gourmet/boutique hog farm over on your side?

advertisement

Back