advertisement

Takeaways

matt j

pfm Member
Probably not deserving of a thread all on its own, but since I've been at home for the last 4 weeks or so I've been amazed at how many people eat out/have takeaways.

I can't remember the last one I had as I'm too bone to go and fetch it and too stingy to pay to have it delivered, but since lock down I've noticed an endless stream of Just Eat deliveries to my block, some people must eat takeaway for 50% of their meals, and at breakfast, bloody breakfast I ask you!!!

I genuinely had no idea, I'm not that old (40) and takeaways were always a once so often treat when I were growing up, the mind boggles. Am I now officially getting old moaning at stuff like this?

Am I now officially getting old moaning at stuff like this?

Are you moaning? Seems more like relaying an observation to me.

I last ate a takeaway well over 20 years ago. I am unsure if I have ever been in a McDonalds, but probably have. I eat chips every one to two years, at home or out. And so-on.

But that is nothing more than habit, it is no comment on anything but how I have ben brought up and choose, completely subconsciously, to live (and eat).

(I am in my early 60's)

When I lived in Saudi, the younger Saudis lived almost entirely off takeaways if they had their own apartment off the airbase. In 1991, they seemed to buy mainly from traditional Middle Eastern joints, but that very quickly changed and by 1995 on my second stint out there, it was all crappy American franchise fast food. Coca Cola had taken over, and the yooff were getting bigger and bigger. Ramadan seemed to consist of them sleeping all day and eating from sunset to sunrise. Big American cars suited them well, as did type II diabetes.

We have from none to two takeaways per month.

We usually have one every other week, alternating between a curry and a Chinese/Japanese or occasionally fish and chips.

Although I sometimes (rarely) have a sneaky McDs for lunch if I get bored of my usual supermarket sandwich meal deal.

edit: forgot to say we had our first one of the lockdown last night, a curry, was fantastic!

I used to go to a local curry house every three to four weeks. I could murder one now. They kept the takeaway side of things for a few weeks after they closed the restaurant, but that’s now shut too.

I used to go to a local curry house every three to four weeks. I could murder one now. They kept the takeaway side of things for a few weeks after they closed the restaurant, but that’s now shut too.

Well, I’ve just checked and they’ve reopened the take away. Yippee!

A fair few of our local establishments, pubs etc are still offering take outs. I’m talking about independent restaurants & pubs, not the mega-chain pizza/ burger type companies. Trying to keep local business ticking over & doing their bit to serve the local community at the same time. Seems fair enough.
I also think that food is one of the things that (finance permitting ) people can still enjoy, or view as a little luxury when so many other options are locked down.

I have not had a takeaway for nearly 20 years. I have had McDonalds maybe 5 times in 20 years, but generally it will be restaurant sit down - and those are very infrequent.

I have seen the scooters turn up to deliver takeaways nearly every day, and this was before the lockdown - television is in front of the large front window.

I sometimes think that lack of time (peoples long work hours) means takeaways are nearly a necessity, and hence a rise in obesity too.

I used to work from home, so what i saved in travelling time, meant i could cook decent meals.

Takeaways are mostly shit. I live in Leeds, Bradford side. I could have a thousand but what I'm offered is dreadful. There's a really nice Indian resto at the end of my street, I go there a lot and it's great. They do takeaway but for me that's the worst of all worlds. Expensive, and you still have to wash up.

Last takeaway I had was with some friends, it cost as much as the Indian resto near me, it was crap, I didn't get what i I ordered and what i got wasn't fit for the dog, it made me ill and I had to go home early. Bollocks to that.

I used to live in a tough bit of Leeds, there was a run of takeaways near me. The only people I saw in there were the people who could least afford to eat there. That's a sad fact of life.

BS. I can do an omelette before the pizza delivery arrives, same with pasta, and a load of other stuff is on the table in under 45 minutes.
I am using my own example here. When i went into work place, the travelling time of 90 minutes each way meant the time i got home, and cooked a meal meant that i was eating too late in the evening - stir fry's were ok, but other meals took too long. The evening meal was my main meal - winter times i liked casseroles/stews, or lasagne etc

Takeaways are mostly shit. I live in Leeds, Bradford side. I could have a thousand but what I'm offered is dreadful. There's a really nice Indian resto at the end of my street, I go there a lot and it's great. They do takeaway but for me that's the worst of all worlds. Expensive, and you still have to wash up.

Last takeaway I had was with some friends, it cost as much as the Indian resto near me, it was crap, I didn't get what i I ordered and what i got wasn't fit for the dog, it made me ill and I had to go home early. Bollocks to that.

I used to live in a tough bit of Leeds, there was a run of takeaways near me. The only people I saw in there were the people who could least afford to eat there. That's a sad fact of life.

That's the other thing that gets me, they're not cheap! I could understand it if it were cheap, at least it's cheap crap, but expensive crap? No thanks.

Three takeaways today. German bretzel at breakfast, cheese salad sandwich at lunch, chicken kebab for tea

I can't be arsed preparing food most of the time. I'm working long hours. In addition , I won't queue outside a supermarket. Never going to happen.

We can go weeks without take always but has become 2-3 times a month of late. The kids are bored so a treat every now & then is good.

We had a delicious Greek meal tonight, meat Gyros with salad, £10 per head though.

I never have take away pizza, occasional curry or decent kebab.

Don't any of you worry about viral transmission?
I'd have though at least as worrying as shopping, without the option of being able to leave it in the garage for five days or so to have the virus expire.

Steve, my favourite Kashmiri restaurant is Akbars, on Leeds Road, Bradford. You wouldn't know if they're doing take-always, would you?

advertisement

Back