advertisement

T-amp alert: it's available again

teg j

Like lots of people I have been intrigued by reports of the giant-killing $39 Sonic Impact T-amp, but frustrated not being able to actually find one to buy.

Listen up - it's back. I found listed as In Stock by ThinkGeek last week so ordered right away. ThinkGeek are the only outlet I found who mail to Europe. I placed my order on Thursday evening. It was delivered on Monday afternoon. (And I live out in the sticks in mid Wales...)

The price on ThinkGeek was $35, with $29 on top for DHL delivery. In percentage terms that seems a big mark-up, but at the end of the day you're getting a real neat toy for less than £40. Because it is so cheap, there is no import duty payable - thus avoiding expense and hassle. There really is no reason not to try this thing.

I'll refrain from going into details about it yet, 'cos it isn't close to run in yet. Suffice it to say that, through my Lowther Acoustas (1965 ply cabinets, new PM6C drivers - a humble version of the Lowther dream vision but very satisfying just the same) there is every indication that the hype might just be true.

I'm keen to hear how others fare.

There's a german dealer who claims to accept EU orders, he can be found here; the SI is hidden in <Produkte><Röhrenverstärker>, ending up in this frame.

There's also an interesting thread on DIYAudio.com about changing the coupling caps and 'related issues'. :)

Best regards,

Oliver

As I understand it, the limit is £18 excluding shipping. If it goesa bove this, then when calculating the duty payabel, they include the shipping cost in their calculations. Happy to be corrected, though!

Coincidentally, I happen to buy one of these a day or two ago. I got mine from www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-952. Their price was only $29.87US, but the sole shipping option was airmail to Canada for $16.34 (resulting in the same total cost as most other places). I suspect that they would ship to Europe as well. Since the base cost is so low, it's more likely to slip under the taxman's radar.

-=> Mike Hanson <=-

Welcome to PFM teg j !!

This is a cozy and friendly place!

And thanks for your great tip. Just for the hobby, I have inquired for one from Germany.

Good links coredump!

Oz

Since the base cost is so low, it's more likely to slip under the taxman's radar.
Unlikely! The £18 is the cost of goods plus shipping combined, not the goods berforehand.
I got stung by a couple of DVDs a while back.

I've ordered one from the states so I'll report back on duty payable. Zanash's black box looks like one that Maplin do. I was going to put my headphone amp in one, but if the T-amp board fits in it, I'll use it for that.

Maybe we need another group buy like they did on TNT-audio through one of our American cousins?

Originally posted by JimmyB
Maybe we need another group buy like they did on TNT-audio through one of our American cousins?

Yeah, for bare boards, thanks!

(Note, you can buy from Germany without the tax hazle.

They already answered to me that I can have it TAX free with
my company tax code. Fast answer.)

Oz

Got one today - less than a week to arrive - and no duty.
They had marked it as novelty goods - cheers ThinkGeek!
Sounds pretty good from cold with batteries - bit brash, but we will see with time. It's fairly loud with my old kef drivers (about 86db).
It's tiny and weighs next to nothing, the AA batteries double the weight at least!
Total cost- about £34 including shipping!

Too early to discuss the capabilities of the amp yet, but it's as good as a gainclone at first hearing, without the hassle.

Anyone tried this driving a pair of headphones?

Just wondered - as you can drive headphones directly from a Naim amp speaker outputs...

I received mine, and hooked it up in place of my old Yamaha A500 integrated (75WPC and 20 years-old), which is fed by my computer via a Sound Blaster USB, and drives Radioshack Optimus mini speakers (the really heavy ones). It's being powered by a cheap 12V wall-wart (the same one that I was using to power the Scott Nixon DAC).

The T-amp sounds more impressive than the Yamaha (much more listenable), although it can't match it for maximum volume.

It's a bit laughable compared to my Naim systems, but plays the occasional bit of music. However, I didn't have the necessary cables, connectors, etc. to do a test in the big systems. Perhaps I'll rehouse it eventually, and do a real test. Or maybe I'll install one in the Super Squeezebox, to make it a true all-in-one box.

-=> Mike Hanson <=-

I have bought a load of t-shirts from ThinkGeek over the years. Usually, about 2-3 weeks after the order arrives, a letter from DHL pops through your letterbox asking for the appropriate customs payments. I've usually forgotten about it by then so it's always an annoying surprise.

Give it a few hours - mine sounded completely different on the 2nd day. Much less bright and the metallic sheen has worn off.
50 - 100 hours is recommended for a decent burn in.

advertisement

Back