advertisement

T-amp alert: it's available again

Having now had my T-amp for a week in my system, I have switched back to my Cyrus 5 and will not be using the T-amp again. It's been slightly over-rated imo.

Got my T-amp last week from SI with its accompanying wallwart via a friend.I was surprised how much noise it made through a pair of EPOS ES14 in a large room.I brought the amp home to try with a large pair of extended bass loudspeakers,all waspretty impressive from abou 80Hz up.This would seem to be a suitable amp for a sensitive pair of bookshelf jobs combined with a subwoofer.For $39 dollars I cant really complain but I wont be ditching the old NAP250 just yet.

Come on chaps the only way to get it sounding realy good is to rehouse it. Provide a decent PSU ...not a wall wart, and add some decent internal wiring, and loose the cr*p vol pot .

I used 1mm solid silver ptfe sleeved, So whats the difference between a modded one and one straight from the box. Well like a Nad320 compaired to a Nait.

They need a good 200 hours of running in....but of course that doesn't exist silly me.

Mine has replaced a Quad 707 for the time being. It doesn't go halfas loud but it does a lot of really nice thing the quad doesn't.

How do you get the T amp apart without breaking it ,in my junk box I have an Alps 100k and 2 panasonic 2200micro fd capacitors to play with any tips would be welcomed.Presently running the amp off a 12volt SLA some people are advocating putting a capacitor in series any advice again welcomed.Also has anyone built the 41hz amp3,looks interesting!

Its not hard ......take a look at this web site

http://members.tripod.com/talkgarden/

to get in to the case pull the rubber feet off and unscrew the cross heads.

To remove the board carefully drill out the melted black plastic that secures the pcb to the case. Everything else just desolders.

Doing a bit of internet browsing it appears once you have done the neccessary modifications there is not a lot left of the original amplifier.Starting from scratch as it were involves soldering SMT devices,a fate worse than death so it would appear.Rather than pull my SI amp apart I have started on an amp3 kit from 41hz with the TA2021B tripath chip.Lucky I am an optician coz you would need bionic eyesight with the size of the circuit board,wish me luck .

Where is the best place to get the teflon coated silver wire,also I have two volume pots an Alps 100k or a Panasonic one.The Panasonic having 8 tags and the Alps 6 tags,if the Panasonic is the better pot how is it wired up.

Lets get this thread moving ,Any tips on how to get smd off the board safely.My SI is silver vwired with a dact CT2 but I am still awaiting my black gates ,I dont want to fall at the last fence.Do I use a bit of braid or just push the capacitor off with a big Antex.

Got my t-amp from think-geek. 4 weeks later you get a bill from DHL for £8.83 VAT Duty. Now available on eBay shipping from UK for about £30. Have built a box to re-house the PCB from the t-amp it includes a Noble volume pot which I want to incorporate as a passive pre-amp. Unfortunately my skills stop short of soldering PCBs. If anyone can finish the job for me please reply. I'm sure we can come to a mutually acceptable arrangement.

Unfortunately my skills stop short of soldering PCBs. If anyone can finish the job for me please reply.

Might be possible, where abouts are you in the U.K.?

Regards,
Tim.

Cheers Tim. I live in Lancs but am willing to post. Have pics of box if these might be useful. Not contributed much to this forum in the past so unsure of protocols. May be better to communicate by email if this is possible. Have you worked on T-Amp before?

Mike.

Mike,

We both seem to have our email facility disabled, can you send me a private message through my 'profile' tab, including your email address and perhaps a telephone number, and we can discuss it more easily.

Tim.

What does one do when the pads lift off the pcb, R1 AND R2 came off no problem but so did the pads as I was trying to solder wires on.Can you wire straight to the pins on the chip <if so which ones.HELP!

Got my Autocostruire T amp yesterday,all assembled 2020 tripath chip with no SMD in sight.Much more power than the 2024 T amp,has all its virtues but more bass grunt. The module is ready assembled and just needs sticking in an enclosure

advertisement

Back