advertisement

System Pics?

ks.234

Half way to Infinity
I can’t find the system pics thread and I absolutely need to show off my baby beauties right now

53650754306_9d6609552b_z.jpg
Flickr

My listening room was the garage and the Larcs sound at least as good in that confined space. They really are wonderful. Many thanks to @Eugene for some nice speakers and a pleasant transaction.

Might need a new rug now.

Took me ages to find it though! :oops:

Took me ages to find it though! :oops:
I searched System Pics, and just System, and got nothing. Maybe I need to have a word with my iPad

I can’t find the system pics thread and I absolutely need to show off my baby beauties right now

Flickr

My listening room was the garage and the Larcs sound at least as good in that confined space. They really are wonderful. Many thanks to @Eugene for some nice speakers and a pleasant transaction.

Great listening room. I can see those two door stop things but not the speakers?

Flickr

They’re looking fab and even smaller than they did in our lounge! 😍

Reactions: CB4

Flickr

You need some bookshelves for al those nutty economics tomes KS.... :)

More seriously, bookshelves have fundamentally improved the acoustics of both the big and small rooms I've had them puit up in over the past 10 years.

You need some bookshelves for al those nutty economics tomes KS.... :)

More seriously, bookshelves have fundamentally improved the acoustics of both the big and small rooms I've had them puit up in over the past 10 years.
The “nuttiest”, most nonsensical economics tomes are those that somehow manage to justify decades of austerity and privatisation sitting on the bookshelves of our various Chancellors*

*Though I doubt any of our Chancellors are interested enough in economics to have actually read any since doing their PPE at Uni!

Last edited:
I have heard about the Shahnian range for some time .
I had no idea of the relative size of Larcs.
Wow - they are tinny!
Many thanks for the real world photos.

Wow - they are tinny!
Tiny but mighty. Previous speakers were big f*ck off Obs. So far the Larcs, in my smaller listening space, stand up nicely. Need to give them a week, then swap back the Obs to b sure.

One way or another some Shahinians up for sale soon

Likewise, I hadn’t realised how small they are.

Can I ask what that the veneer finish is? Looks similar to a pair of Diapasons I saw way back when Richard Shahinian was still with us.

Wow - they are tinny!
Shahinians are omnidirectional so there is no sweet spot. Some people love this, others don't and this is really a case where you got to hear it yourself.

This is a big forum with loads of Shahinian owners so blag a listening session with other members. I have lost count of members who have called in to my place for a listen.

My Shahinian Arcs are about one third of the size of the Briks I previously used but it's a damn difficult thing to say which one sounds the best.

Regards

Mick

Shahinians are omnidirectional so there is no sweet spot. Some people love this, others don't and this is really a case where you got to hear it yourself.

Being pedantic :) only the Obelisks (Hawk & Diapson) are Poly directional, they aren't true omni as the mid drivers are only on the front and rear faces whereas the tweeters are on all four faces.

I was a long standing owner of Shahinian speakers and was always a die hard fan boy of them. I had Arcs for a long time, which I adored, and tried Obelisks at home several times, but each time I did the NAP200 I had struggled to manage them. They sounded great in the mid range and upwards, but the bass was loose, flabby and uncontrolled; at times it sounded so thick and mangled it made listening unbearable. With a NAP250 things improved but at that point I was never in a position to buy both the speakers and the amp to drive them.

When I built my new system (from scratch) four years ago I started from the assumption that i would build it around Shahinian Obelisks. What I found when I auditioned a pair was that it's not just that they are a demanding load but that they are also quite difficult to pair up generally. I listened to them with a variety of amps, including the mighty Rega Osiris, but there was something missing; a lack of cohesion and musicality that made the experience of listening remote and unengaging. I still believed that there was amazing sound to be had from them, I just couldn't find it.

Ironically, the Obelisks were also quite fussy about the room if not the positioning. Big speakers in general work just fine in small rooms (my current Horns FP15s are huge, 15" drivers in cabinets that measure 710x521x380 (mm) and sit atop massive stands in a room that measures 3.5m by 3.6m and there isn't a hint of bloom or the room being over pressurised) but the Obelisks respond quite differently in different rooms and it doesn't appear to be based on room size.

Like others, I had not fully appreciated just how teeny tiny the Larks were. They're an interesting proposition, perhaps more aptly designed to sit atop a desk in a study rather than a moderate size listening room? They're a wonderful piece of industrial design though.

advertisement

Back