advertisement

System pics 2024

Yeh I’ve seen some of the Darko videos and glad as the room has such a massive effect on sound quality. I’ll give GIK a call - wonder if they’d be interested in my Genelec room report. 🤔
Worth talking to them about it, they suggest using Room EQ Wizzard that Darko uses, I was too mean to spend £100 on a microphone to use it and I dont have a personal laptop, only a old iMac, work will not let me put external software on their laptop so never mind.

Nice!

Is that a couple of monoblock power amps you have there? Lingo Mk something for the Linn? hicap and a NAC82? Details please, details! 😆

I like your double width shelves too. Would be really good for my set-up summat like that, but they are insanely expensive that type of shelving.
NAC 82/Supercap/NAP 250. Hi Cap gives secondary PS to Naim CD5 player. Mk 1 Lingo that was serviced by Darren at Class A in Sheffield and had the mains filter altered so it works better with Naim electronics. Made a major difference to the Lingo as it was over 20 years old. Darren has serviced and provided most of my Naim gear and is a top guy.

Bottom shelf has Blue Ray player, HDMI switch box and EE8 network switch as router is on wall behind hifi Streamer is Innuos Zen Mini Mk3 plus Innuos LPSU and Denefrips Ares 2 DAC

Speakers are Neat Iota Alpha's which are amazing for their size. I also use Iso Acoustic pucks and Gaia feet on the speakers

I bought the Quadraspire shelves around 14 years ago so not so expensive then relatively. the secondary isolation walnut sheft at the bottom of the rack was added a year or two ago, one site was selling second condition shelves at that time for £75 each and I bought some new feet for them. Quadraspire have changed the size of the AV shelves now from the old ones I have (wider and longer I think). As you say it's bloody expensive, I believe it would be around £3000 ( 5 shelves @ £600/shelf) to get what I have now with all the support columns which is mad. But then again Naim Fraim isn't cheap either. That's without getting into Quadraspire Reference shelves.

Worth talking to them about it, they suggest using Room EQ Wizzard that Darko uses, I was too mean to spend £100 on a microphone to use it and I dont have a personal laptop, only a old iMac, work will not let me put external software on their laptop so never mind.
You don't need a laptop. I use REW on a 2010 and 2012 Mac Mini and connect the UMIK-1 with a 5 metre long* USB cable.

I recently extended this to 6.5 metres with a 1.5 metre long USB3 male-to-female cable and it still works flawlessly.

That’s super nice and tiny - did you have an opportunity to compare it with native Naim streamers?
I didn't want to spend so much on a current Naim DAC/Streamer. I didn’t compare.

The Emerson is a stealth piece of kit. It matches the Nait50 in materials, build quality and like the Nait, a minimalists piece. The SQ is much better than my Unitilite setup.

2nd system update, with the AE2s and new to me Lyngdorf TDA2200 (upgraded to TDAi spec). Not 100% sure how long the AE2s will stay, wanted to revisit them for old times sake but I think there may be better options for the more 'nearfield' listening that I do in this room. Ideally some ATC SCM10s (in Yew if I can find a pair) or possibly revisiting KEF Reference again.

System 2 by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

System 2 by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

The R9s have not sold so stuck them into the 2nd system, sounding really good, so much so I've swapped out the AE2 and they are off to a new home this weekend. Bit OTT but until I can find a nice pair of ATC SCM10s and/or KEF 201/2s they will at least get some use!

Library System by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

Library System by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

So this is my listening space in Manchester, UK.
It’s in my front room and is also an office (desk is in the bay window to the right).
I’ve not had a dedicated space for about 20 years and it’s nice to be able to play with the layout and adjust things. Also the room is a bit of a shrine to all my hobbies, containing the road bicycle and some retired or damaged motorcycle helmets.

System is:
PTP Lenco L75 with Original Live Onyx and RigB’d VM95 with EN stylus.
Rega Elex-r
Exposure cd player
WiiM Pro into Chinese NOS DAC for streaming
Q Acoustic Concept 30s

The speaker stands were stools, with the tops replaced and the speakers bolted to them, plus rubber feet. Saw off some much more expensive conventional metal stands.

Enjoying the setup and space - next is a bearing upgrade for the Lenco and then pondering about a separate phono stage…

room-1.jpg

room-2.jpg

It’s in my front room and is also an office (desk is in the bay window to the right).
I’ve not had a dedicated space for about 20 years and it’s nice to be able to play with the layout and adjust things. Also the room is a bit of a shrine to all my hobbies, containing the road bicycle and some retired or damaged motorcycle helmets.

System is:
Rega Elex-r
Exposure cd player
Q Acoustic Concept 30s

The speaker stands were stools, with the tops replaced and the speakers bolted to them, plus rubber feet. Saw off some much more expensive conventional metal stands.

Enjoying the setup and space - next is a bearing upgrade for the Lenco and then pondering about a separate phono stage…

room-1.jpg

room-2.jpg
I love all the bits and bobs. Are you looking at an SPH bearing?

System is:
Rega Elex-r
Exposure cd player
Q Acoustic Concept 30s

room-1.jpg

room-2.jpg
Cool space (and stealth bike) 👍

System is:
Rega Elex-r
Exposure cd player
Q Acoustic Concept 30s

room-1.jpg

room-2.jpg

System is:
Rega Elex-r
Exposure cd player
Q Acoustic Concept 30s

room-1.jpg

room-2.jpg
Love the look of the stands and speakers, just shows how a bit of lateral thinking and repurposing can yield good results.

You don't need a laptop. I use REW on a 2010 and 2012 Mac Mini and connect the UMIK-1 with a 5 metre long* USB cable.

I recently extended this to 6.5 metres with a 1.5 metre long USB3 male-to-female cable and it still works flawlessly.
You’ll probably tell me it’s all there on the REW site when I ask what else is involved ie. getting music to the system as my PC is the opposite side of the room to my system. The PC is connected to a NAS and my WiiM Pro connected to my RME DAC and amp picks up the NAS no problem. I’m asking as I seem to be unwittingly following you by having an A-S3000 and now Celestion 66 you probably saw me post about. And I enjoyed following your 2015, 2018 and 2019 66 journeys by the way on those other forums!

You’ll probably tell me it’s all there on the REW site when I ask what else is involved ie. getting music to the system as my PC is the opposite side of the room to my system. The PC is connected to a NAS and my WiiM Pro connected to my RME DAC and amp picks up the NAS no problem. I’m asking as I seem to be unwittingly following you by having an A-S3000 and now Celestion 66 you probably saw me post about. And I enjoyed following your 2015, 2018 and 2019 66 journeys by the way on those other forums!
Thank you for your feedback, it's good to know my obsessions with the Ditton 66 are of interest to some folk! I'm pretty sure you need a direct wired audio connection from computer to DAC for REW to produce sound output from your system but I don't quote me on that as streamers and networking isn't my area of expertise! I'd recommend running a long USB cable from your computer to your DAC while using REW as that's the only connection method I have used, but I'm sure a long SPDIF coax or toslink optical work work fine too if you have those outputs on your PC. USB cables up to 5m in length should work fine. Longer than 5m may require an active USB extender, you won't know until you try. The key question as to whether or not the hassle is worth it to you is the reason for wanting to measure your room in the first place and the tools you have at your disposal (or are willing to acquire) to ameliorate the acoustical problems with your room that REW flags up?

Thanks for coming back TTM, yes I’ve wanted to measure the room for some time now as it is bright. When I’ve posted pics you’ll see it has the challenge of the alcove(s) either side of the fireplace and hard surfaces. Alas for family life and getting the most out the room the hifi set-up is dictated. I will add a rug and possibly some grip-mat on the table and will be building a 2m x 0.5m ish diffuser behind the head ie. just above the listening sofa, described to me as sorting the W effect of the Pac-Man bouncing of sound from speaker to wall to fireplace to listener.

But I have wanted to understand the room at different frequencies and then negotiate on the cosmetics, I doubt ceiling diffusers will get approval for example. The acoustics are possibly the reason I prefer the 66 to the RS10 in this room, they’re not challenging the room as much.

advertisement

Back