advertisement

System pics 2024

Agree on the downside too although I'm looking to get some GIK room treatment and buying more music.
What's your approach here? I have some basic absorption panels but knowing exactly what to put where (and not 'just bung in some diffraction') is trickier. My Genelec GRADE report has been helpful, as has understanding REW, but 'd be interested in how you are going about it.

What's your approach here? I have some basic absorption panels but knowing exactly what to put where (and not 'just bung in some diffraction') is trickier. My Genelec GRADE report has been helpful, as has understanding REW, but 'd be interested in how you are going about it.

I’m tempted to get GIK in to have a look but I’m conscious that I might be into diminishing returns. That said, I like how the GIK panels look and so may do something that’s just visually appealing - there’s some flutter echo I can hear in the GLM setup that I’d like to try and get rid of.

I’m tempted to get GIK in to have a look but I’m conscious that I might be into diminishing returns. That said, I like how the GIK panels look and so may do something that’s just visually appealing - there’s some flutter echo I can hear in the GLM setup that I’d like to try and get rid of.
Yes, I agree they do look good.

My problem is I have some intractable problems (e.g comb filtering from reflections behind listening position) that can't easily be sorted without making my sitting room into an audio room - which my other half won't stand!

I'm kinda just ignoring it (and dreaming of a bigger rom).

Yes, I agree they do look good.

My problem is I have some intractable problems (e.g comb filtering from reflections behind listening position) that can't easily be sorted without making my sitting room into an audio room - which my other half won't stand!

I'm kinda just ignoring it (and dreaming of a bigger rom).

Some things we just have to live with 🙂

How big is your room and how’s it furnished ?Mine’s 6m x 4m and 2.3m high and pretty dead - heavy carpet and curtains.

Some things we just have to live with 🙂

How big is your room and how’s it furnished ?Mine’s 6m x 4m and 2.3m high and pretty dead - heavy carpet and curtains.
Very similar 5 x 4 x 2.3. Well furnished. Absorption behing listening position and side wall. I might make a suspended ceiling panel - but more because I want to rather than any evidence it's what's needed!

Go for it! I’m a bit conscious of making my room too dead but I do like those panels - thinking of three on the wall behind my sofa to start with.

And the 2nd System starting to come together in the 'Library' which is our Hobby/Games/Spare Room, up till now its been storage for old bits of hifi rather than a proper 2nd system. The large bass cabinets and mini-monitors are left over from an Active DIY project that might get resurected in the future. The AE2s will go in here, with an upgraded amp at some point. I use the Yamaha WX10 for Streaming to.

Library by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

2nd system update, with the AE2s and new to me Lyngdorf TDA2200 (upgraded to TDAi spec). Not 100% sure how long the AE2s will stay, wanted to revisit them for old times sake but I think there may be better options for the more 'nearfield' listening that I do in this room. Ideally some ATC SCM10s (in Yew if I can find a pair) or possibly revisiting KEF Reference again.

System 2 by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

System 2 by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

Nait50 & Emerson Analog

Nait50-Emerson-Analog.jpg

Please excuse the dust and clutter.

Lenco GL75 > Croft Phono Integrated > Altec 9842. Plus some other stuff.

Woah, dude, they are some seriously industrial-looking speakers! 😀

Some absolutely gorgeous looking set-ups here. HiFiman's massive Naim stack gives me envy, lovely room too!

Here's mine, which is the standard Linn/Naim. Early 80s Sondek with a Mose PSU, NAC82 IIRC, hicap, NAP250, Rega Elas (which I adore - gorgeous sounding speakers). Then some surround sound gear for the TV. Everything was bought second hand over the years (other than the Elas), the oldest thing from the original gear is the LP12 that I bought second hand in '85. All the Naim gear has slowly been upgraded, the NAP250 the latest upgrade that I got off ebay in 2020.

This is a lovely sounding room, easily the best room I've ever had the gear in. Tried it in another room in the house and it sounds dead in comparison. Amazing what a difference a room makes.
hifi.JPG

I have a couple of GIK acoustic bass traps and diffusor panels on my front wall, no room elsewhere to fit them without tearing up the room. It’s my lounge in the end and not a recording studio. GIK have an online form you can complete and with this they can give you free advice. I was more than happy with my panels and they did not push me to just plaster the room with lots of stuff. I spoke with them on the phone as well and can recommend them. I went for their impression panels so look nice as well. I could try much more but as you say there may be the law of diminishing returns here. i have a relatively small room at just over 5 x 3 m size so the panels tamed the bass and gave a lively but not bright mid and highs. Anyway ask for their advice, it’s free with no obligation to buy. They also have a slight seconds store on eBay.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info !
Your welcome, my room wasn't that bad, bit of slap echo and that has diminished as well. These treatments are a route to an improved SQ dependent on how bad your room acoustics are at the monent, and how reflective your walls and coverings are, size of the room, size and output of your speakers etc etc. so all I am saying is that if your room is really bad and you get lots of slap echo and bass boom etc then the effect of these treatments are a way of improvong it. there are many YouTube videos out there and GIK do have a library of their own which go through the fundementals. Also see John Darko's channel for his video's on room acoustics. He did a few last year on the subject

They are 8361As. Previously I have had active ATCs and prior to that Neat Ultimatums with biamped Naim 250s and 52.

For me, moving to 100% digital, really understanding room acoustics and the potential of digital EQ, was night and day.

Like never before I feel I now a have a 'window' to whats actually on/in recordings. There is an immediacy, dynamism and clarity I've never heard from analogue systems. I'm now focussed on finding the best masterings of my favourite albums and really 'hearing through' to the studio /venue. Most of all I now have bass that is tight articulate and extended (flat to 25Hz) that I have never experienced any other way.

Downside? A system like this is physically boring - there is nothing to tweak or improve. Its always on point and 'right'. Sometimes I Iong for those afternoons spent stripping my Linn down, rebuilding it and feeling that it was suddenly 'better than ever'. Reality of course, it was all in my head.

Doug
I think these look great in white. Could easily see these as endgame if I had the room and money for them. Seems to me this is what high fidelity reproduction actually means and it's weird to me how some audiophiles dismiss active pro monitors as something not fit for home listening.

How does streaming from Qobuz to these work - you don't need a dedicated streamer?

About finding the best masterings of music I feel this would ultimately necessitate either the purchase of a Redbook CD player or ripping CD's to NAS (which I presume is what you do?).

Your welcome, my room wasn't that bad, bit of slap echo and that has diminished as well. These treatments are a route to an improved SQ dependent on how bad your room acoustics are at the monent, and how reflective your walls and coverings are, size of the room, size and output of your speakers etc etc. so all I am saying is that if your room is really bad and you get lots of slap echo and bass boom etc then the effect of these treatments are a way of improvong it. there are many YouTube videos out there and GIK do have a library of their own which go through the fundementals. Also see John Darko's channel for his video's on room acoustics. He did a few last year on the subject

Yeh I’ve seen some of the Darko videos and glad as the room has such a massive effect on sound quality. I’ll give GIK a call - wonder if they’d be interested in my Genelec room report. 🤔

I have a couple of GIK acoustic bass traps and diffusor panels on my front wall, no room elsewhere to fit them without tearing up the room. It’s my lounge in the end and not a recording studio. GIK have an online form you can complete and with this they can give you free advice. I was more than happy with my panels and they did not push me to just plaster the room with lots of stuff. I spoke with them on the phone as well and can recommend them. I went for their impression panels so look nice as well. I could try much more but as you say there may be the law of diminishing returns here. i have a relatively small room at just over 5 x 3 m size so the panels tamed the bass and gave a lively but not bright mid and highs. Anyway ask for their advice, it’s free with no obligation to buy. They also have a slight seconds store on eBay.

Nice!

Is that a couple of monoblock power amps you have there? Lingo Mk something for the Linn? hicap and a NAC82? Details please, details! 😆

I like your double width shelves too. Would be really good for my set-up summat like that, but they are insanely expensive that type of shelving.

advertisement

Back