advertisement

System pics 2024

Very nice! Which model Genelec are they and how do you find they compare to previous systems you had?
They are 8361As. Previously I have had active ATCs and prior to that Neat Ultimatums with biamped Naim 250s and 52.

For me, moving to 100% digital, really understanding room acoustics and the potential of digital EQ, was night and day.

Like never before I feel I now a have a 'window' to whats actually on/in recordings. There is an immediacy, dynamism and clarity I've never heard from analogue systems. I'm now focussed on finding the best masterings of my favourite albums and really 'hearing through' to the studio /venue. Most of all I now have bass that is tight articulate and extended (flat to 25Hz) that I have never experienced any other way.

Downside? A system like this is physically boring - there is nothing to tweak or improve. Its always on point and 'right'. Sometimes I Iong for those afternoons spent stripping my Linn down, rebuilding it and feeling that it was suddenly 'better than ever'. Reality of course, it was all in my head.

Doug

421f55.jpg

A bit different .....
What make are the stands?

What make are the stands?
They are kinda Frankenstands! I had some dedicated stands made when I got the 8361s, but they didn't look right. So I discarded the conventional top plates and fitted Genelecs own model-specific mounting plate and sprayed it all to match. Genelec were really helpful with RAL numbers for this. The speakers also have a special compliant base that allows for adjustment of tilt - the rounded looking bit just underneath them.

The speakers are enormously heavy and with no parallel sides or anything to hold onto manhandling them is tricky. There is a rear strap thing but it only gets you so far.

That’s way posher than the one our moggy has :)

Would like to hear your system, do you have subs in the mix?
It works really well in encouraging her to drink - the water is always moving. Plus, it tells me how much she drinks and when.

No subs at present. My room isn't that large and bass as is is impressive - very tight and controlled right down to 25Hz in room. The speakers use Genelecs own room correction software to tidy everything up - akin to Dirac.

It works really well in encouraging her to drink - the water is always moving. Plus, it tells me how much she drinks and when.

No subs at present. My room isn't that large and bass as is is impressive - very tight and controlled right down to 25Hz in room. The speakers use Genelecs own room correction software to tidy everything up - akin to Dirac.
Our daughter has a similar water fountain for her cats. Our dogs get water everywhere when they go round.

Cheers BB

They are 8361As. Previously I have had active ATCs and prior to that Neat Ultimatums with biamped Naim 250s and 52.

For me, moving to 100% digital, really understanding room acoustics and the potential of digital EQ, was night and day.

Like never before I feel I now a have a 'window' to whats actually on/in recordings. There is an immediacy, dynamism and clarity I've never heard from analogue systems. I'm now focussed on finding the best masterings of my favourite albums and really 'hearing through' to the studio /venue. Most of all I now have bass that is tight articulate and extended (flat to 25Hz) that I have never experienced any other way.

Downside? A system like this is physically boring - there is nothing to tweak or improve. Its always on point and 'right'. Sometimes I Iong for those afternoons spent stripping my Linn down, rebuilding it and feeling that it was suddenly 'better than ever'. Reality of course, it was all in my head.

Doug
They sound like they form a great system. I think the digital room EQ is a life saver in your average domestic room. I use active speakers too and a manual form of dsp that I adjust after taking measurements with a mic and REW.

Doug

Exactly this... Similar for me but I've got the smaller 8341's and a 7350A GLM sub and it's phenomenal - not only good bass (22Hz at -6dB) but the imaging and midrange are sublime. I've been really enjoying Tidal and ignoring that system with the odd 'OMG' moment so it's doing its job :) Try TOOL's "Chocolate Chip Trip", any Billie Eilish, deadmau5's "Let Go" and London Grammar's "Hey Now".

Agree on the downside too although I'm looking to get some GIK room treatment and buying more music.

Just zoomed in on the cats face, it doesn’t look happy🤬. The top of that right speaker is just a step away as well. Have you had any scary moments?
Ha ha, she is a shy and sweet cat, loves me, my partner less so! She sits on top of either speaker all the time. The speaker's high mass and that of the stands means she can do no harm. They are also cast aluminium so there is no risk of claw damage.

advertisement

Back