advertisement

System pics 2024

Please excuse the dust and clutter.

Lenco GL75 > Croft Phono Integrated > Altec 9842. Plus some other stuff.

V1n6nGe.jpg
Love this system! Love your music tastes! Pharoah! Billy Harper! First ever Black Saint album - #001!

Love this system! Love your music tastes! Pharoah! Billy Harper! First ever Black Saint album - #001!

The Black Saint and Soul Note record labels are fantastic, equally as important as Blue Note and ECM to my mind.

The sound quality of the LPs is impeccable and if you enjoy adventurous solo piano records, try to track down a copy of Don Pullen's "Evidence of Things Unseen" - it's right up there with anything recorded by Cecil Taylor.

The Black Saint and Soul Note record labels are fantastic, equally as important as Blue Note and ECM to my mind.

The sound quality of the LPs is impeccable and if you enjoy adventurous solo piano records, try to track down a copy of Don Pullen's "Evidence of Things Unseen" - it's right up there with anything recorded by Cecil Taylor.
Shhhhuh...please, not so loud, I still have many albums to pick up...

Let others chase Blue Notes, Strata East, Black Jazz...

I have most of Don Pullen's albums, the latest acquisitions being Warriors and Sixth Sense. And Billy Harper, David Murray, oh my...

I have most of Don Pullen's albums, the latest acquisitions being Warriors and Sixth Sense. And Billy Harper, David Murray, oh my...
I think the only Don Pullen LP I've ever owned was the Montreux record which I didn't get on with.

Nommo with Milford Graves was reissued last year. Perhaps I should investigate that.

vOBJ9aW.jpeg
Big changes going into 2024. Out with the Klipsch Cornwalls and Quad II monos in the living room and a move upstairs to a cosier space with Falcon LS3/5A and NAIT 50. Thinking of trying the JBL 4309 which could recover some of the presence and dynamics of the Cornwalls.

After being a committed valve devotee for at least 35 years, & being extremely happy with my system, I had a thought, which was could I build a solid state balanced system to rival the valve one. To that end, out go the BigBottle 3 phono stage, Alpha2Delta pre & Line Magnetic 845 amp, & in come a ClearAudio Balance Plus phono stage, a B1 buffer preamp made by a guy who frequents the Wam, Disarmament, & a Bladelius Advantage S150 power amp, all chosen because they can be run balanced or single ended. The house NA Ace Spacedeck, with Analog Instruments Siggwan 12 inch unipivot arm, & ClearAudio Pradikat MC cartridge, Meridian 500 transport & Eastern Electric Minimax Supreme DAC, & hORNS Aria II floorstanding speakers, stay.
Without going into much detail, I do think I have managed to achieve my goal, although I needed to introduce one other component in order to fulfill the brief, a Tannoy TS10 balanced sub.

qn4Hdam.jpg

6MkYlSP.jpg

zvrV0wK.jpg

HTKJ1aG.jpg

8nSw36d.jpg

After being a committed valve devotee for at least 35 years, & being extremely happy with my system, I had a thought, which was could I build a solid state balanced system to rival the valve one

I like the shonky cabinet with dodgy hinges supporting the turntable and containing the equipment, it says a big “**** you” to the (useless) £30,000 equipment racks

I like the shonky cabinet with dodgy hinges supporting the turntable and containing the equipment, it says a big “**** you” to the (useless) £30,000 equipment racks
It is actually a brand new cabinet, but I see your point regarding the top hinge, I hadn't noticed that. Blame the tool holding the screwdriver, ie me.

After being a committed valve devotee for at least 35 years, & being extremely happy with my system, I had a thought, which was could I build a solid state balanced system to rival the valve one. To that end, out go the BigBottle 3 phono stage, Alpha2Delta pre & Line Magnetic 845 amp, & in come a ClearAudio Balance Plus phono stage, a B1 buffer preamp made by a guy who frequents the Wam, Disarmament, & a Bladelius Advantage S150 power amp, all chosen because they can be run balanced or single ended. The house NA Ace Spacedeck, with Analog Instruments Siggwan 12 inch unipivot arm, & ClearAudio Pradikat MC cartridge, Meridian 500 transport & Eastern Electric Minimax Supreme DAC, & hORNS Aria II floorstanding speakers, stay.
Without going into much detail, I do think I have managed to achieve my goal, although I needed to introduce one other component in order to fulfill the brief, a Tannoy TS10 balanced sub.

qn4Hdam.jpg

6MkYlSP.jpg

zvrV0wK.jpg

HTKJ1aG.jpg

8nSw36d.jpg
Ah another hORNS owner. I have the FP15s currently playing off 180 solid state watts from Concert Fidelity and they sound fabulous, although I do think that this is ostensibly because the amps are biased to Class A for the first 30 watts and since the speakers never push a need beyond that this is all that's currently serving them.

I think the only Don Pullen LP I've ever owned was the Montreux record which I didn't get on with.

Nommo with Milford Graves was reissued last year. Perhaps I should investigate that.
To me the Montreux album is ok but quite a different kettle of fish to his Black Saint output, which tends towards free jazz. His albums on Soul Note with George Adams were different again, more conventional. Pullen was a fine pianist, percussive in style with a hint of gospel, and a bit less demanding than Cecil.

I think you will find much to like about his Black Saint records.

Been the same for ~9-months now since the NS1000Ms arrived. The DVP-S9000ES is in the 2nd system with a pair of Acoustic Energy AE2s arriving, more on that to follow in a few weeks, still looking for an amp to go with it, currently an old Cambridge Audio A5 that was in the loft.
On the amp hunt, depends on what it is but it might go into the main system and the Bryston B60R with the AE2s, not sure yet.

NS1000Ms have proven to be excellent toddler proof speakers, with the grilles on they are of no interest and even if they did get 'attacked', the metal grilles on the speakers are there for peace of mind!

System by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

Been the same for ~9-months now since the NS1000Ms arrived. The DVP-S9000ES is in the 2nd system with a pair of Acoustic Energy AE2s arriving, more on that to follow in a few weeks, still looking for an amp to go with it, currently an old Cambridge Audio A5 that was in the loft.
On the amp hunt, depends on what it is but it might go into the main system and the Bryston B60R with the AE2s, not sure yet.

NS1000Ms have proven to be excellent toddler proof speakers, with the grilles on they are of no interest and even if they did get 'attacked', the metal grilles on the speakers are there for peace of mind!

An interesting system. What is the cd player please?

advertisement

Back