advertisement

any flex in the Ladderax shelves with the vinyl?
I mean some... but theres flex with them no matter what you put on them. It's not that bad. I had contemplated getting a small black square tube foot, to put in the middle of the shelf for support, but in reality it doesn't bow enough to be an issue.

Well. It’s that time again! System update!

I’ve been struggling for pretty much the entire of 2023 to get to a setup I was happy with. I had a hegel h200 back in the day that I liked, and I tried upgrading to the h390 and that was the biggest mistake I ever made. Utterly dreary amplifier, sluggish, muted, soft and hopeless, especially through its built in DAC!

I got rid and tried an audio analogue for a while and I really quite liked that, still on the warm side, but with snap, resolution and toe tapping fun. Sadly it’s 80 watts weren’t really enough to make the most of my low ish sensitivity Harbeths.

I played around with a primaluna pre and bryston power for a while, but it went way too far the other way, sterile, sharp, dry and too concerned with being accurate to be musical!

Well, yesterday I picked up the new toy, and with reasonable certainty the one that is here to stay!

Luxman L509X

It’s just brilliant, to my ears, fundamentally flawless in delivery, smooth, musical, engaging, detailed, dynamic, punchy, with just epic bass heft!

Rest of the system remains the same:

-Auralic Aries G1
-Chord TT2
-project Perspex 6 SB, with project uni RS power supply
-Transfiguration Phoenix Cart
-Audiolab DC Block 6

Assorted unexciting cables, some Kimber hero between source, and some QED XT40i speaker cable!

About the only upgrade I’d consider now, might be adding an MScaler to the DAC

HzvxmbY.jpg

DMALBde.jpg

XmM8zdn.jpg

WmP2HyJ.jpg

BXHGEAc.jpg

spVCieG.jpg

I have also the same dust magnet of a turntable, with the same power supply, although fitted with the Ortofon Quintet Blue.

Shrink,

Love the system. Including, that interesting Japanese issue of 'Woman to Woman' by Shirley Brown. Great album, not heard the Japanese pressing.

Colin.

It’s probs not my end game turntable. I keep eyeing up the DR Feickert Woodpecker!
I understand, although it is a very decent TT for the price... until 2021. It really went up, like most things.

Off topic: I am selling all my analogue front end because I don’t care about vinyl anymore, just CDs. But otherwise I would keep it and try a better cartridge.

I understand, although it is a very decent TT for the price... until 2021. It really went up, like most things.

Off topic: I am selling all my analogue front end because I don’t care about vinyl anymore, just CDs. But otherwise I would keep it and try a better cartridge.

Im actually for the second time In life finally getting around to listening to more vinyl and building up my collection.

I’ll likely go through one more cart on this deck before I chop it in :)

Not much new here, other than a move around on the shelves to make way for an Apple SuperDrive.

The Musicbook has a usb in, and Lindemann recommend the little drive as a cd transport.

I’ve been wanting to get my CDs out of storage for a while now that I have a dedicated room to listen in, and this seemed like an easy, affordable way to play them again.

If you connect a powered USB hub to your Musicbook‘s USB input you can connect your CD drive to the hub and also attach an NTFS formatted SSD or hard drive to the hub. This way you can have both CD drive and local storage. I run my Musicbook source with a powered USB hub connected to the USB port and have attached a Dell CD drive and a portable 2 TB western digital USB hard drive to the hub. Both, the CD drive and the hard drive with nearly a 1000 CDs stored on it, show up on the Lindemann app.

Hope you find this information useful

Not much new here, other than a move around on the shelves to make way for an Apple SuperDrive.

The Musicbook has a usb in, and Lindemann recommend the little drive as a cd transport.

I’ve been wanting to get my CDs out of storage for a while now that I have a dedicated room to listen in, and this seemed like an easy, affordable way to play them again.
Does the Lindemann carry out Analogue to Digital conversion of the signal from the TT, if so how does it sound?

Cheers BB

IIRC, all analogue inputs are amplified and sent to the analogue outputs. No A/D is involved.

Haven't used the phono on mine yet. I am currently working away from home - no phono - and this is my ‘portable’ system wIth the Source feeding a pair of Neumann KH-80s. Sources are internet radio, USB connected hard and CD drives. However, given Lindemann’s engineering expertise, I am pretty confident phono inputs will be adequate.

if interested in learning more about the KH 80s see this link:

Re. Analogue inputs: verify with Lindemann; their customer service is pretty good.

Does the Lindemann carry out Analogue to Digital conversion of the signal from the TT, if so how does it sound?

Cheers BB
Nope, all in the analogue domain. From the manual

“The analog preamp of the SOURCE II uses a purely analog volume level control. Analog sources are processed on the analog domain. The built-in phono MM preamp offers an exceptionally musical reproduction and is identical in construction to the highly appreciated Limetree Phono.”

I’m really happy with the phono stage. I’ve had some top notch stand alone phono preamplifiers in the past (Vida, Art Audio Vinyl one, Tube Tech MAC) and I don’t miss them at all.

Nope, all in the analogue domain. From the manual

“The analog preamp of the SOURCE II uses a purely analog volume level control. Analog sources are processed on the analog domain. The built-in phono MM preamp offers an exceptionally musical reproduction and is identical in construction to the highly appreciated Limetree Phono.”

I’m really happy with the phono stage. I’ve had some top notch stand alone phono preamplifiers in the past (Vida, Art Audio Vinyl one, Tube Tech MAC) and I don’t miss them at all.
Thanks Lord M, it's an interesting combo, I really like the small form aesthetic, only read good things about them too.

Cheers BB

Thanks Lord M, it's an interesting combo, I really like the small form aesthetic, only read good things about them too.

Cheers BB

I love it. I’d got to the point where I just wanted to sit down and enjoy music and move away from box swapping and loads of kit everywhere. Like you, I loved the look of the Lindemann kit, so I took the plunge.

I’m really glad I did. The updated app is brilliant, and streamer/dac is world class imo. It so easy to use and it sounds brilliant in the process.

The downside is the lack of inputs. Only one optical and one coax SPDIF input on the sourcebooks. That is woefully inadequate for a main system. The earlier Musicbooks had two of each and a front panel USB port.

Are the Obs significantly directional at low frequencies to make toe-in necessary? A speaker I have yet to try.

advertisement

Back