advertisement

Although nothing looks much different to 2022, there are a few notable changes to mention. First is the addition of a Shunyata Hydra Triton power conditioner and Sigma power chord. This made a huge difference, improving every aspect of the replay quality in a way I was not at all expecting. It was a wonderful surprise to say the least, as big an improvement as adding a pre-amp to replace the VC in the DAC.
Next change was to the power cables, with a mixture of Luna Mauve and Orange on the front end (shukko into the Hydra) and some oddity prototypes from Z-Axis for the power amps directly into the wall. This was a useful albeit more subtle shift, improving the overall cohesion of the music; one or two cables were not really noticeable but all five being replaced was very apparent.
Finally I managed to get my hands on a matched pair of original WE300b tubes for the DAC. Apart from the craziness of being able to obtain what is regarded the holy grail tube the difference they make is remarkable. I can well understand why these are so highly prized and revered; sonically they are utterly sublime. The best bit is that I paid under a grand for them. They have only about half their life left but in a DAC the strain is so minimal that they will easily last the life of the DAC.
One last change is that I’ve finally got around to mounting the room treatments to the wall. Wish I’d done that sooner as it’s also made a significant to the room acoustics (prior to this they were just sitting on the floor), dropping the brightness considerably.
I feel very fortunately to have this system and to have held on to it. I lost my job in October last year and was close to having to sell bits or most of it to tide me over until I got back into work but I’ve managed to secure a new position and so the hifi stays.

System Summary -

LDMS Mini Music Derver
Lampizator Golden Gate DAC MK1 with WE300b output tubes
Concert Fildelity CF-080 SLX Pre
SilverCore 833 MKII SET power amps
Horns FP10 with silver wiring
Z-Axis Audio SPDIF & IC (DAC to pre)
High Fidelity CT1 Ultimate IC (pre to monoblocs) and speaker cable
ProAudio Bono suspended rack
Rogoz speaker and amp stands
Graphite Audio isolation

IMG_1151 by Greg Turner, on Flickr

IMG_1152 by Greg Turner, on Flickr

IMG_1153 by Greg Turner, on Flickr

IMG_1154 by Greg Turner, on Flickr

IMG_1155 by Greg Turner, on Flickr

Although nothing looks much different to 2022, there are a few notable changes to mention. First is the addition of a Shunyata Hydra Triton power conditioner and Sigma power chord. This made a huge difference, improving every aspect of the replay quality in a way I was not at all expecting. It was a wonderful surprise to say the least, as big an improvement as adding a pre-amp to replace the VC in the DAC.
Next change was to the power cables, with a mixture of Luna Mauve and Orange on the front end (shukko into the Hydra) and some oddity prototypes from Z-Axis for the power amps directly into the wall. This was a useful albeit more subtle shift, improving the overall cohesion of the music; one or two cables were not really noticeable but all five being replaced was very apparent.
Finally I managed to get my hands on a matched pair of original WE300b tubes for the DAC. Apart from the craziness of being able to obtain what is regarded the holy grail tube the difference they make is remarkable. I can well understand why these are so highly prized and revered; sonically they are utterly sublime. The best bit is that I paid under a grand for them. They have only about half their life left but in a DAC the strain is so minimal that they will easily last the life of the DAC.
One last change is that I’ve finally got around to mounting the room treatments to the wall. Wish I’d done that sooner as it’s also made a significant to the room acoustics (prior to this they were just sitting on the floor), dropping the brightness considerably.
I feel very fortunately to have this system and to have held on to it. I lost my job in October last year and was close to having to sell bits or most of it to tide me over until I got back into work but I’ve managed to secure a new position and so the hifi stays.

System Summary -

LDMS Mini Music Derver
Graphite Audio isolation

incredible room and photograpy. looks like a fantastic place to be

System Summary -

LDMS Mini Music Derver
Graphite Audio isolation

Love everything about your system and your decor. can I ask what’s the colour of the green paint called (if you can remember)

incredible room and photograpy. looks like a fantastic place to be

Also very kind of you . The room is very much my happy place, a sanctuary I very deliberately conceived of in my post divorce life as being somewhere I could escape to.

The boy and the goat is not mine - that is shot by my favourite photographer, Laura Pannack. The other two images on the walls are mine.

The r/h speaker looks like it's essentially just firing into the arm of the sofa.

The bass unit is slightly occluded, the tweeter isn't. It does alter the stereo balance slightly (the left channel is very slightly louder than the right), but that's easily compensated for by sitting slightly to the right of the centre. I've had a few people with their own high end systems have a listen, including one close friend who I know for sure would tell me if the seat location was a problem, and no one has commented on it so far.

But your point is well made. My room is tiny; 3.4m by 3.8m and this is really the only layout that works, either aesthetically or practically.

PXL-20230308-213733856-2.jpg
PXL-20230308-213844724-2.jpg
PXL-20230308-213930268-2.jpg
PXL-20230308-214035229-2.jpg
PXL-20230308-214942569-3.jpg
PXL-20230308-215141135-3.jpg
PXL-20230308-215358307-4.jpg

PXL-20230308-230511448-2.jpg

This is my second system in my little music snug - with today's addition a new Rega Elex-R.

Technics SL-1210GR / Audio Technics AT-VM95ML

Rega Saturn CD Player

Kenwood KX-5010 Direct Drive Cassette Deck (for nostalgia)

Chromecast Audio - Tidal/BBC Sounds/Logitech Media Server

Rega Elex-R Integrated Amplifier

Tannoy Revolution XT Mini Loudspeakers

Okki Nokki Record Cleaner

I'm very fortunate to have a nice view out of my small window too ❄️

PXL-20230118-090918856-3.jpg

Last edited:
This is my second system in my little music snug - with today's addition a new Rega Elex-R.

Technics SL-1210GR / Audio Technics AT-VM95ML

Rega Saturn CD Player

Kenwood KX-5010 Direct Drive Cassette Deck (for nostalgia)

Google Chromecast Audio - Tidal/BBC Sounds/Logitech Media Server

Rega Elex-R Integrated Amplifier

Tannoy Revolution XT Mini Loudspeakers

Okki Nokki Record Cleaner

I LOVE this! And those Tannoy speakers look great!

Get those tannoys isolated from the surface, it will transform the bass. Some isoacoustics will do the trick or even some small isolation foam pads £15 amazon.

The Friars in Aylesbury. Takes me back. The font suggests they were touring the Lamb at the time

advertisement

Back