advertisement

Great systems! If you don't mind me asking, what are your living room speakers?
Hi rischa, they are Falcon Q7's with the gold badge crossover. The come as a kit but I bought mine 2nd hand from the person who had ordered and built them. They are like an LS3/5A with a slightly deeper cabinet.

Hurrah - Had a change around today. Moved the music room from the sun room to the larger front room, the TV is now in the middle room and the dining table in the sun room.
20230102_160319.jpg

Just enjoying the new lease of life the new room is making with the extra volume of the room :)

'Rock Family Trees' is an essential for anyone with an interest in UK and US music in the second half of the last century. Could well be my Desert Island Disc book.

The 2023 state of things.
All will remain this year - bar one pending incoming in a few months.

@badger748 didn't you have a lengthy thread last year about downsizing your system?! :) (I am counting 8 boxes, excluding the subwoofer(s?))

On a less leg-pulling note, great system - is this a class A/B Luxman, or a class A? I find the TAD speakers really interesting (never seen them in the flesh, let alone heard them though) but I think they are not efficient enough for my class A power amp.

@badger748 didn't you have a lengthy thread last year about downsizing your system?! :) (I am counting 8 boxes, excluding the subwoofer(s?))
On a less leg-pulling note, great system - is this a class A/B Luxman, or a class A? I find the TAD speakers really interesting (never seen them in the flesh, let alone heard them though) but I think they are not efficient enough for my class A power amp.

Greetings - yes you are right, I did go for a massive downsize for various reasons. And tbh the much higher end stuff I had was all sold and there were quite a few more boxes! So I DID downsize. But then it grew, a bit. Obviously I'm now only running one TT, one integrated amp, etc - so the box count is far less. But yes, still a lot, I guess.

The Luxman is the 30W Class A one. I'd previously had one of these donkeys years ago and really loved it, so I guess I went back to what I knew I'd like. The TAD's were bought as standmounts and I am space restricted, and are quite fantastic. I auditioned them with many different amps before committing to the L590 AX II. It took about a year to run them in and get them working properly as very sensitive to placement. I put Gaia feet on them which helped a lot. Sub-wise, I have tried many and settled on x2 KC62, again, setting these up took ages - but I persevered and now they are seamless.

The system is really good. Obviously I can upgrade the LP12 and DAC module if I get itchy feet, but the system really hits the spot. I don't have that much regret over stuff I've owned and sold - I mean it's just stuff right? Some pieces I miss more than others, but if i missed them "that" much, I'd just buy them again.

This is mine, somewhat simplified from last year. It’s a Naim NDX2, XPSDR, Supernait 3 and ProAc Tablette 10 Signature speakers. I sometimes think it looks a bit boring compared to some on here, but it’s neat and tidy and works for us.
80-D8-BAD5-1870-4-BCC-ADBD-A91-B8175-EA6-C.jpg

53645-AA9-261-E-415-E-ADC1-33-DDD8-C8-E00-F.jpg
Far from boring (or modest) Nigel, its a wonderful system.

Not full range though... :rolleyes:

mmm thats interesting , their blurb says they are but you never know !!

We believe that full-range speakers can create an illusion of live music that multi-way loudspeakers struggle to match. Amazing soundstage, absolute holography, magical midrange, open and direct sound that gives you the most emotional presentation possible of your favourite music.

If you have ever heard a good implementation of a full-range speaker, you know exactly what we are talking about.

Most full-range drivers are not “full range”, though. They are just “wide range” at best. Designing a real full-range speaker is the biggest challenge possible for any speaker engineer. The fight is not easy because it is a fight against the rules of physics. In general small drivers tend to have insufficient bass, and bigger ones struggle with high frequencies. The speaker needs adequate mass, cone surface, and excursion to have great low frequencies extension. The bigger the mass, the harder it is to have a very good high-frequency response, and with greater excursion comes greater distortions. Designing the ultimate full-range speaker is an unfair fight from the beginning.

When we started designing the Fa8 and Fc8 drivers, our goal was to create the best full-range speaker there is. The speaker has deep but tight and well-controlled bass, without the need for huge cabinets that will take all the space in your room. We wanted an amazing midrange, without characteristics for such type of constructions, nasal-sounding vocals and high frequencies that will beat most high-end tweeters. It was a courageous goal, but we were determined by our passion.

The journey took us over two years of research and development. Over 200 prototypes were made. We tested multiple ideas and finally came up with speakers that we believe will change the general perception of full-range speakers. It wasn’t easy, though and required the in-house design and implementation of many unique solutions.

https://www.hificollective.co.uk/drive-units/cube-audio-fc8.html

Love these threads. I've a brand new living room under construction and I'm bringing the hifi out from the dedicated listening room into it, so loads of ideas in and amongst these photos. Must have another look through last year's thread too.

Hurrah - Had a change around today. Moved the music room from the sun room to the larger front room, the TV is now in the middle room and the dining table in the sun room.

My speakers now have room to breathe and they are sounding awesome :)
Had to make up some speaker cable (gone from 2 metres to 7 metres.....) but not an issue.

Now looks like this:

20230102_202704.jpg

20230102_201831.jpg

20230102_201734.jpg

20230102_201726.jpg

Some records waiting to be moved......
20230102_160319.jpg

Just enjoying the new lease of life the new room is making with the extra volume of the room :)

Excellent. Bet that rattles the ornaments.

mmm thats interesting , their blurb says they are but you never know !!

We believe that full-range speakers can create an illusion of live music that multi-way loudspeakers struggle to match. Amazing soundstage, absolute holography, magical midrange, open and direct sound that gives you the most emotional presentation possible of your favourite music.

If you have ever heard a good implementation of a full-range speaker, you know exactly what we are talking about.

Most full-range drivers are not “full range”, though. They are just “wide range” at best. Designing a real full-range speaker is the biggest challenge possible for any speaker engineer. The fight is not easy because it is a fight against the rules of physics. In general small drivers tend to have insufficient bass, and bigger ones struggle with high frequencies. The speaker needs adequate mass, cone surface, and excursion to have great low frequencies extension. The bigger the mass, the harder it is to have a very good high-frequency response, and with greater excursion comes greater distortions. Designing the ultimate full-range speaker is an unfair fight from the beginning.

When we started designing the Fa8 and Fc8 drivers, our goal was to create the best full-range speaker there is. The speaker has deep but tight and well-controlled bass, without the need for huge cabinets that will take all the space in your room. We wanted an amazing midrange, without characteristics for such type of constructions, nasal-sounding vocals and high frequencies that will beat most high-end tweeters. It was a courageous goal, but we were determined by our passion.

The journey took us over two years of research and development. Over 200 prototypes were made. We tested multiple ideas and finally came up with speakers that we believe will change the general perception of full-range speakers. It wasn’t easy, though and required the in-house design and implementation of many unique solutions.

https://www.hificollective.co.uk/drive-units/cube-audio-fc8.html

Full range is 20Hz to 20KHz +/-3dB - Note it is -3dB and not -6dB.

Here is the spec for the Cube speaker:
  • Frequency response: 36 Hz - 23kHz (6db)
The -6dB figure means the bass will be rolling off above 100Hz, so the 3dB point is likely to be about 70Hz/80Hz (Full range is 20Hz) and at the high frequencies it will be rolling off well before 15KHz with a -3dB point around 18KHz (Full range is 20KHz).
Having had most full range drivers here none got much past about 13KHz. You can't beat the laws of physics. To get low frequencies you need a large cone. A large cone will mechanically not move fast enough to reach the higher frequencies. This is why speakers use multiple drivers each suited to a particular range of frequencies to cover the whole audio frequency range.

At best the Cube is a wide range speaker, not a full range speaker...

Might be all you need! I love my Sansui.
Your probably right this had the boards out corrosive glue removed and recap /service. Been in the box for 2 years so just working on the pots to get rid of the noise then lubricate. Sounds bloody good to be fair.

Greetings - yes you are right, I did go for a massive downsize for various reasons. And tbh the much higher end stuff I had was all sold and there were quite a few more boxes! So I DID downsize. But then it grew, a bit. Obviously I'm now only running one TT, one integrated amp, etc - so the box count is far less. But yes, still a lot, I guess.

The Luxman is the 30W Class A one. I'd previously had one of these donkeys years ago and really loved it, so I guess I went back to what I knew I'd like. The TAD's were bought as standmounts and I am space restricted, and are quite fantastic. I auditioned them with many different amps before committing to the L590 AX II. It took about a year to run them in and get them working properly as very sensitive to placement. I put Gaia feet on them which helped a lot. Sub-wise, I have tried many and settled on x2 KC62, again, setting these up took ages - but I persevered and now they are seamless.

The system is really good. Obviously I can upgrade the LP12 and DAC module if I get itchy feet, but the system really hits the spot. I don't have that much regret over stuff I've owned and sold - I mean it's just stuff right? Some pieces I miss more than others, but if i missed them "that" much, I'd just buy them again.

Thx for that - so the Lux has no problem driving these TADs? I have heard Accuphase Class A into inefficient speakers (Magico, KEF), and it was never happy pairing, at least not to my ears.

What was the reason why you went for those TADs + 2 subs instead of the floorstanding version of those TADs? (Evolution 1 TX, I think)

advertisement

Back