advertisement

I sincerely hope this works….

Edit: it finally worked. I’m new here, had some trouble trying to post images in this forum. Now I can! Anyway this is my temporary (main) set up in my studio, having to drive a pair of kudos X3s.

55-D891-E2-6-AF4-4929-8-B01-701-C8-F6-AAB0-D.jpg

Kudos driven by Exposure ...nice!

There is a set of identical Exposure pre/power for sale on certain sales site at the moment, not yours are they ?

That's your temporary set up? Wow.

Are my eyes plating tricks or are your Exposure boxes midi sized?

I’ve yet to set them up nicely in the room. They are indeed midi sized, an anniversary edition of the vii and viii pre/power set.

Kudos driven by Exposure ...nice!

There is a set of identical Exposure pre/power for sale on certain sales site at the moment, not yours are they ?

They are very nice indeed! A lovely pairing.

Those are not mine, however. :)

Picked up a classic Denon DVD-A11 to use as a CD / SACD transport.

Seriously impressed with this unit. I never really considered a DVD / multi player as a transport before now.

A Rega Planet R may be on the way soon so I may end up selling it.

PA9A1020.jpg

PA9A1022.jpg

PA9A1025.jpg

PA9A1030.jpg

Very nice, I used a Meridian 596 DVD player as a CD player for a few years and thought it was an excellent machine, both for watching movies and listening to CDs.

So a 4 day weekend, what better to do than DIY .... getting to old for this but the result seems worth the effort.

Before moving the radiator, plug sockets and a some other domestic items:

And after........ Finished last night so testing the lights before hanging the pics,

Day shots :)

What the pics don't show is the amount of treatment that's gone into the wall:
50mm acoustic rockwool in the studs on top if the party wall, then 15mm hardwood ply applied to the outer surface/plasterboard, and finally 22mm acoustic finish by https://www.naturewall.co.uk/.

Last edited:
So a 4 day weekend, what better to do that some DIY ... I'm getting to old for this but the result seems worth the effort :)

And after :)

That room and it's contents look amazing! great looking setup and space

So a 4 day weekend, what better to do than DIY .... getting to old for this but the result seems worth the effort.

And after........ Finished last night so testing the lights before hanging the pics,

50mm acoustic rockwool in the studs on top if the party wall, then 15mm hardwood ply applied to the outer surface/plasterboard, and finally 22mm acoustic finish by https://www.naturewall.co.uk/.

Great room
Do you have pictures if how you built the wall?
How many walls were treated in the room?

Thrown this together in the conservatory and it has genuinely surprised me with how good it sounds!

The Quad stack is my late 34, FM4, 306 setup from the living room. The speakers a pair of cheap (£18) B&O CX50s bought with rotten surrounds and looking very tatty. Rather than refoam I decided to replace the bass drivers with FaitalPro 4FE32s (drop in replacement, you need big m3 washers and take some material out of the grille frames for clearance).

So what they don't do is bass, but with the bass control on the 34 wound well up they do a decent attempt and the midrange is FAR better than it has any right to be for the money. Its a very listenable little system.

(Bit apprehensive about posting this after Cerial Killers efforts, superb execution!)

Thrown this together in the conservatory and it has genuinely surprised me with how good it sounds!

The Quad stack is my late 34, FM4, 306 setup from the living room. The speakers a pair of cheap (£18) B&O CX50s bought with rotten surrounds and looking very tatty. Rather than refoam I decided to replace the bass drivers with FaitalPro 4FE32s (drop in replacement, you need big m3 washers and take some material out of the grille frames for clearance).

So what they don't do is bass, but with the bass control on the 34 wound well up they do a decent attempt and the midrange is FAR better than it has any right to be for the money. Its a very listenable little system.

(Bit apprehensive about posting this after Cerial Killers efforts, superb execution!)
LOVELY !

Great room
Do you have pictures if how you built the wall?
How many walls were treated in the room?

Thanks, didn't take any pics, perhaps in hindsight I should've but if you imagine the party wall on the left and the timber slats on the right, this is the sectional build-up:

Apartment party wall
45 x 50mm top-hats attached to the above at 400mm vertical and 600mm horizontal fixing points.
25 x 52mm British Gypsum studs attached to the top-hats.
All sockets, radiator pipes, CAT6, sat and TV points repositioned within the cavity created by the studs and top-hats.
2 layers of 50mm iso acoustic rockwool packed in between the studs where possible.
15mm of BG soundblockF plasterboard, taped and jointed.
15mm of plywood fixed through the plasterboard to the BG studs.
LED tape applied to the wall just above the plywood.
22mm natural wall fixed to the plywood but over sailing the top by 50mm to cover up the LED on the vertical.

What a superb job that is, I don't comment often in this thread, but as a keen house renovator myself your work there is exemplary, nice one. I am planning something similar when I get to the detail side of my renovation.

This is probably the best room seen on here, very simple layout with perfect execution.

Very nice, I used a Meridian 596 DVD player as a CD player for a few years and thought it was an excellent machine, both for watching movies and listening to CDs.
The 596 is excellent as a CD player - the audio side is basically the same as the highly rated 588 CD player, just minus the balanced outputs. The 'DVD' status makes the 596 an absolute bargain, even if you fit a new drive and have it recapped, as I have :)

Has the panelling/rockwool insulation made a significant difference to the sound? Seen these panels before and am thinking of using a 2.4m piece behind each speaker...they do look very sleek. Do they need that extra...say 50mm rockwool behind them for them to be effective for lower frequncies or can they be used as supplied? Bit of a novice with this type of thing, any input would be good, thanks.

Just finished complete room renovation and perhaps these panels could be the finishing touch...

Room refurb all done. Many nasty jobs...stripping old paper of walls/ceiling, chanelling out for cabling and back boxes, opening out the fireplace, sanding the pine floorboards...painting and decorating...knackered now but it's been worth it.

the hifi is the same but tinkered with speaker stands... an extra central column was added and speakers are now bolted to the stands along with being painted black.

advertisement

Back