advertisement

F1612-FDB-FDB6-497-E-AD4-D-07-F4339-BF76-D.jpg

My humble system in my tiny 8.75 x 9.5 ft listening room. I’ve been a member for a long time and this is my first post on this thread.
Looks like a nice listen.

Recently upgraded speakers to the Spendor Classic 3/1, along with their matching open stands. This was following a lengthy (second) demo of the 3/1, after prolonged time owning the 4/5 and not being satisfied with their scale.

Absolutely loving the 3/1s, and the open stands make such a difference. Upon demoing the 3/1 a second time (using these stands and playing with positioning), they came alive. Tight, supple, detailed and perfectly integrated bass, coupled to lovely, natural flowing midrange, and detailed / smooth highs. Good scale and punch too.

I pull them well out into the room when in use (about 60cm from any walls, 2m apart, 2 metres from listening position).

Arcam SA30 amp / streamer, on the err...floor, but a media unit is incoming!

Spikes are fitted on the stands now (but some of the photos below don't have these pictured).

2022-0402-11243000-01.jpg

2022-0317-12011200-01.jpg

2022-0317-11584400-01.jpg
2022-0317-12013800-01.jpg

Recently upgraded speakers to the Spendor Classic 3/1, along with their matching open stands. This was following a lengthy (second) demo of the 3/1, after prolonged time owning the 4/5 and not being satisfied with their scale.

Absolutely loving the 3/1s, and the open stands make such a difference. Upon demoing the 3/1 a second time (using these stands and playing with positioning), they came alive. Tight, supple, detailed and perfectly integrated bass, coupled to lovely, natural flowing midrange, and detailed / smooth highs. Good scale and punch too.

I pull them well out into the room when in use (about 60cm from any walls, 2m apart, 2 metres from listening position).

Spikes are fitted on the stands now (but some of the photos below don't have these pictured).

Lovely! These really interest me. I’m enjoying my falcons and proac tab 10s but I know I’m going to want better bass response before long. I was thinking about Harbeth m30s but I think these will fit my space better. How tall are stands if you don’t mind me asking?

Very nice @Goat Without exception I always find open frame stands better or at least as good as dense pillars .

What else did you demo? Those speakers have some similarities with the Dynaudio Special 40s - but no idea if they are in the same price bracket…

Spirit level required for that double socket asap

Lovely! These really interest me. I’m enjoying my falcons and proac tab 10s but I know I’m going to want better bass response before long. I was thinking about Harbeth m30s but I think these will fit my space better. How tall are stands if you don’t mind me asking?

The stands are 57.5cm without the spikes, and the speakers are 39cm tall.

Very nice @Goat Without exception I always find open frame stands better or at least as good as dense pillars .

What else did you demo? Those speakers have some similarities with the Dynaudio Special 40s - but no idea if they are in the same price bracket…

Quite a few:

Ls50 Meta
Kef R3
Spendor A4
Dynaudio Evoke 10
Dynaudio Special 40
ATC Scm11
PMC 21
Q Acoustics Concept 300
Spendor Classic 4/5

Out of that list, the Dynaudio Special 40 and ATC SCM11 were the closest runners up. The former excelled at pace, liveliness, airy treble, but I found them slightly tipped up in the treble/upper mids and the bass was slightly bloated. Midrange wasn't quite as natural either. The ATCs were fast, cohesive and imaged beautifully, but I found them slightly forensic and sterile in the mids and upper mids, lacking emotional pull.

Whereas I find the 3/1 the best all rounders. Their greatest strengths are tone, coherence, overall engagement ('musicality' as it were) and lack of fatigue, despite being really detailed and open. Just a great combination of virtues IMO.

Quite a few:

Ls50 Meta
Kef R3
Spendor A4
Dynaudio Evoke 10
Dynaudio Special 40
ATC Scm11
PMC 21
Q Acoustics Concept 300
Spendor Classic 4/5

Out of that list, the Dynaudio Special 40 and ATC SCM11 were the closest runners up. The former excelled at pace, liveliness, airy treble, but I found them slightly tipped up in the treble/upper mids and the bass was slightly bloated. Midrange wasn't quite as natural either. The ATCs were fast, cohesive and imaged beautifully, but I found them slightly forensic and sterile in the mids and upper mids, lacking emotional pull.

Whereas I find the 3/1 the best all rounders. Their greatest strengths are tone, coherence, overall engagement ('musicality' as it were) and lack of fatigue, despite being really detailed and open. Just a great combination of virtues IMO.

There’s some good info there, thanks. Two questions if I may … what are they like at low volume? And do they need much space off the front wall?

There’s some good info there, thanks. Two questions if I may … what are they like at low volume? And do they need much space off the front wall?

At low volume they sound good to me, without any complaints, but I realise that's subjective. I tend to listen at only low to moderate volumes anyway.

Depends on the room, but I do find they benefit from a bit of space behind and to the side, as they produce a good amount of bass. I tend to have them up against the wall when not in use, then pull them out about 50cm when in use, 2m apart, bit of toe in and about 2m from listening position. Certainly they're less flexible than ls3/5a type speakers, which (if necessary) can be shoved nearer walls and corners.

When positioned well though, the bass is respectively deep, well intigrated, punchy and realistic sounding. Double basses and kick drums are really addictive, whereas for example with the Ls50 Meta, there was decent depth but more lumpy and unengaging.

Would def recommend a home demo though, as it's so room and taste dependent.

They are lovely looking stands. I'm getting palpitations imagining the fun my dog and cat would have knocking the speakers off them within seconds though!

Quite a few:

Ls50 Meta
Kef R3
Spendor A4
Dynaudio Evoke 10
Dynaudio Special 40
ATC Scm11
PMC 21
Q Acoustics Concept 300
Spendor Classic 4/5

I also have the 3.1’s and moved from A7 which I couldn’t live with. Love the 3.1, they have an uncanny knack of having lots of detail whilst also being slightly warm and completely non fatiguing. After the A7 I really appreciate the textures and timbres in the mid and upper bass regions which were missing

Very bachelor pad vibe, regardless of your domestic arrangements. I like it.

advertisement

Back