advertisement

System Pics 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Old Valve Git The MiniDSPSHD acts as a controller/pre amp. It accepts inputs from the LP12, Zenith and also the Av Reciever. It then sends a digital, corrective eq’ed signal to the D&D speakers. All the room eq measurements, sorted by Lee from Strictly Stereo, are in the MiniDSPSHD.

If you have any more questions, please ask away?

Andy.

Bit of a dusting session, so, my current rig...

Hifi and cinema 18-4-20 by Andrew Clarke, on Flickr

Hifi and cinema 18-4-20 by Andrew Clarke, on Flickr (could not be bothered to faff too much with this picture lol)

Clever location for the sub : we want to hear it but we don’t want to see it ! That’s what my wife tells me anyway.
Your speakers look so sweet they make me want to eat chocolate !

@Old Valve Git The MiniDSPSHD acts as a controller/pre amp. It accepts inputs from the LP12, Zenith and also the Av Reciever. It then sends a digital, corrective eq’ed signal to the D&D speakers. All the room eq measurements, sorted by Lee from Strictly Stereo, are in the MiniDSPSHD.

If you have any more questions, please ask away?

Andy.

Andrew, very nice neat set up. Tidier than mine. I do seem to have about the same distance between my 8c's and an almost identical amount of toe in though. I am intrested in your connections to and from the MiniDSPSHD as I have been considering one. All of your digital conversion for all your sources takes place in the SHD? Then your using Spdif out from the SHD to the 8c's AS3 XLR input, hence the Neutrix impedance transformer. I assume that is because there is no AS3 xlr output on the SHD?

Currently I'm using analogue in via xlr from my preamp and the conversation takes place in the 8c's. I do also have some eq set in the 8c's app after Keith measured the room. Turntable is still main source by far, but my CD player/dac is also used, but of course that gets double conversion. I am very happy with the sound, but I don't really do streaming at present and considering adding that. If I were to use an SHD As a dac converter / pre amp I could possibly simplify the system somewhat, just add streamer or laptop via USB.The other option is to leave as is and add Roon Core to a laptop and use the 8c's as a Roon end point via the Ethernet connections.

@poco a poco The connections are as you say. I needed two analogue inputs - one for the LP12/Heed, and the other as I also use the 8c's as front left and right mains in a 5.0 surround system. My room has enough bass issues to not risk a subwoofer in there yet. I've not ruled that out, but with a decent Bluray there is more than enough bass! The room eq is programmed into the MiniDSP. There is no room correction or eq happening in the 8c's. They are set at neutral. I could foresee the MiniDSP being a good controller for any active speaker where said combo is being used in a room that needs eq.

Streaming has transformed my listening, tbh. It's so convenient. I still play LP's, but only about 5% of the time.

@poco a poco The connections are as you say. I needed two analogue inputs - one for the LP12/Heed, and the other as I also use the 8c's as front left and right mains in a 5.0 surround system. My room has enough bass issues to not risk a subwoofer in there yet. I've not ruled that out, but with a decent Bluray there is more than enough bass! The room eq is programmed into the MiniDSP. There is no room correction or eq happening in the 8c's. They are set at neutral. I could foresee the MiniDSP being a good controller for any active speaker where said combo is being used in a room that needs eq.

Streaming has transformed my listening, tbh. It's so convenient. I still play LP's, but only about 5% of the time.
Andrew thanks for the reply.
Ideally I probably need at least three analogue inputs, but the SHD has 4 I think if you can use xlr as well? I have two Tone arms on my turntable and one problem is if I wanted to remove the preamp to simplify the system then to match the quality of its phono amp modules would be very expensive and I would need two or one with two inputs. I could use record out from the pre of course, but then I have just added another box not simplified.

Although all your eq is in the SHD I assume the wall distances are still set in the 8c's or can you compensate for that as well in the SHD? Luckily after adding the wall distances my room is fairly trouble free so I only have a very little eq in the bass only.

Although all your eq is in the SHD I assume the wall distances are still set in the 8c's or can you compensate for that as well in the SHD?
I forgot that bit - yes my wall distances are done in the 8c's. It has two analogue stereo inputs. I use the phono inputs for my Heed Quazar phono stage, and the XLR inputs from the Onkyo Av Reciever. I'm not sure it has enough analogue inputs for what you need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back