advertisement

System pics 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey....Sorry forgetting your name friend.

Anyway I seem to have this recollection that you had a very lovely and generous rich aunt who gifted you a pair of Keltiks??? Where are those badboys?
I bought a lot of kit, Keltiks included at dealer trade in rates from her but sold everything at the beginning of the year to fund a house move. I do miss them but I needed to move, I don’t have to deal with stairs anymore. I think Keltiks would be too much in my listening room anyway... they’d work in the other room but that’s a combined dining/living room. I’m keen to revisit 242s or possibly Akudoriks/Akubariks in the future but I don’t want to be in any debt for it, I sold everything to avoid that.

She has Akubariks driven by Klimax Exakt kit now, unfortunately she lives about 250 miles away but when I get a chance to visit, I’ll try and get some pics.

I’m keen to revisit 242s or possibly Akudoriks/Akubariks in the future but I don’t want to be in any debt for it, I sold everything to avoid that.
No one should be in debt over their hifi its just daft and your new home looks excellent. I'm moving in the new year and your images have given me ideas!

No one should be in debt over their hifi its just daft and your new home looks excellent. I'm moving in the new year and your images have given me ideas!
I’ve don’t it in the past, especially when I’ve had a bargain piece of top end Linn kit dangling in front of me but I’ve gotten much less impulsive as I’ve grown up and I’m pretty satisfied with my LK setup. Thanks for the kind comments, there’s some work to do (kitchen renovation, decorating and generally making it my own) but it’s so much money suited to my needs. Good luck with your house move, start packing what you can and getting rid of anything you don’t want now, you’ll thank yourself for it.

Main system with Tannoy Monitor Gold 12:
45171763894_c22baae888_o.jpg

Main system with Celestion Ditton 66:
45171764504_fb155e3890_o.jpg

@jamesd Thank you very much.
@JensenHealey and @Fretbuzz Thank you both too.

I also love those speakers! We’ve seen the room before and I like it a lot, sadly I’d be unable to get away with the treatments you have!!

Yours would be the perfect space to experiment and analyse the differences a rug can make.. you have treated the front wall, the back wall and the ceiling but the floor is left untreated.. have you ever experimented with a blanket on the floor (or even an acoustic panel you have hanging around) on the floor at the first reflection point? Of all the primary reflection points (sides, ceiling and floor) the floor would be the most detrimental reflection of all, possibly bringing the image down... I’d be VERY curious to hear your thoughts on this and what a difference it could make. If you can hear the advantages of treating the ceiling, surely the floor which is after all closer to the horn drivers would play a bigger part? If your in the UK I’d be willing to send you something big enough to play with, but I’d need to know the width it should be so it’s big enough to sit at both primary reflection points.

Lovely system!!

@Tin Sorry I don't get it (I'm no native speaker).
@Rug Doc Please don't start another rug discussion here.
But I will try to answer your question:
I have an acoustic stuff dealer who has a very good knowledge (he equips studios) about acoustic and he told me that most normal rooms don't need damping in the heights.
That is the only part where rugs work.

You can easily over damp the heights if you have much acoustic stuff like me. He gave me the advice to not use a rug. Also he told me that the reflection from the floor is something humans are used to and it is more natural sounding if it isn't covered. Even in studios there isn't always a rug. I also find rugs unhygienic above all if you have a dog like we do.

PLEASE don't take the rug discussion any further, I'd like to join more pictures instead of talking/reading about rug.;)

@Rug Doc Please don't start another rug discussion again. But to answer your question:
I have an acoustic stuff dealer who has a very good knowledge (he equips studios) and he told me that most normal rooms don't need damping in the heights. That is the only part where rugs work. You can easily over damp the heights if you have much acoustic stuff like me. He gave me the advice to not use a rug. Also he told me that the reflection from the floor is something humans are used to and it is more natural sounding if it isn't covered. Even in studios there isn't always a rug. I also find rugs unhygienic above all if you have a dog like we do.

PLEASE don't take the rug discussion any further, I'd like to join more pictures instead of talking/reading about rug.;)

Haha. Not a problem and very interesting about the floor reflections being the ones that humans are used to.. never any intention to take it off topic. I’ve posted loads of my system so I’ll leave it to others..

It is difficult for me to describe it in English above all because it was many years ago since he explained it to me. Sorry.

@Rug Doc Please don't start another rug discussion here.
But I will try to answer your question:
I have an acoustic stuff dealer who has a very good knowledge (he equips studios) about acoustic and he told me that most normal rooms don't need damping in the heights.
That is the only part where rugs work.

You can easily over damp the heights if you have much acoustic stuff like me. He gave me the advice to not use a rug. Also he told me that the reflection from the floor is something humans are used to and it is more natural sounding if it isn't covered. Even in studios there isn't always a rug. I also find rugs unhygienic above all if you have a dog like we do.

He wasn’t right about the rug, floor and ceiling bounce are never constructive, it’s all to do with where your ears are.
Keith

We are not talking about studio use. He was interviewed in the German (studio) "Beats Magazine" because of his keen knowledge about acoustic so I think he I think he knows what he is talking about.

Quote Reinhard Weidinger: "Ein gern gemachter Fehler ist, dass nur absorbierende Materialen eingesetzt werden. Dies hat zur Folge, dass der Hochtonbereich, der durch eine normale Einrichtung häufig schon fast ausrei- chend absorbiert wird, oft überdämpft wird. Für die Absorption empfehlen sich Akustikschaum, Basotect oder Mineralwolle. Für die Ecken müssen Tieftonab- sorber verwendet werden, diese kann man auch mit Mineralwolle gefüllt selbst bauen. Es gibt im Netz viele sinnvolle Anleitungen und Tipps hierzu. Der Ein- satz von Helmholzresonatoren, Plattenschwingern im Tieftonbereich kann funktionieren, muss aber nicht. Hier sollte man auf jeden Fall etwas Erfahrung beim Eigenbau haben, ebenso bei Diffusoren."

#5089 Quote Reinhard Weidinger: "Ja, sag ich doch das Teppich nix bringt, Höhendämpfung ist in den meisten Fällen kontraproduktiv, die Reflektionen verhindern normale Teppich nicht. Hab ich was anderes geschrieben? Bringen ja, aber nix positives"

Toole/Olive’s research found that while lateral reflections ‘can’ add spaciousness, reflections from floor and ceiling are always harmful.
It’s all covered in Toole’s ‘Sound reproduction’.
Keith

You know that there is no 100% always right solution in acoustic because of physical laws everything has pro and contra.;)
If you only damping the heights with the rug you get an unbalanced sound reflection and maybe over damp the heights and the sound will be dull.

I would suggest that we go back to topic: System pics 2018

They're in unbelievably good condition.

Thanks. The walnut veneer comes up beautifully after a polish with some WW5 woodwax. The grilles aren't original, I made them myself from vintage NOS fabric sourced from eBay a few years ago and now no longer available sadly, which is a real shame because it's the nicest looking grille fabric I've come across. It's a real PITA to work with though as it has zero stretch and tears very easily when pulled taught.

44082266040_a7d7fabb7b_o.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back