advertisement

System pics 2014 part II

Hi Leebo,
Here you go...... Actually there is a story behind them, I bought them from e bay for about 300 pounds and when I went to pick them up the owner had the boxes and full internal packaging intact I also noticed the instructions were still sealed in the plastic bag? As we began to dismantle the boxes I realized the gaskets were not sealed and never had been. He also threw in 2 X 7m lengths of white naca5 for 30 quid. I couldn't believe my luck.....[emoji4]

The speakers are sat atop of a 125 mm of sandstone.

66f2475d5d7dd121403f098549d730a8.jpg

Hi nirvanah
lucky man !!!!

I paid more for mine !!!
but they had been upgraded in MKII

the SBL are my last speakers for life :D

My latest acquisition, a Lehmann Linear, sounding great with the HD600's!

Now, do I want a pair of HD800's or Audeze LCD-2's, that will be an interesting listen.

Getting there slowly with the new room. Both TTs are now set up - and at a decent distance from the speakers at last. The 'shelf' they sit on is brick and concrete and is integral to the structure of the house, so its extremely stable and an audible improvement on the nasty 80s hifi rack I was using before. The little Tisbury Pre allows me to select which TT feeds the phono stage, via it's fixed output.

15600895682_d94abc7e2d_c.jpg

It's been a while since my last confession. Guess what? I've changed (almost) everything again! It all started with an innocent visit to a 'pro' audio store. I wanted to buy some cheap active speakers for the dining room and after listening to and buying a pair of humble Focal Alpha 65, I was asked if I wanted to listen to 'the big ones'. Turned out these were a pair of PMC IB1-SA and they caused my jaw to hit the floor.

I had always thought that 'pro' speakers were meant to be clinical, boring and unmusical. Turns out I was wrong. This started me out on a journey to see whether the pro world could offer something that would be on a par with my traditional hi-fi setup for sensible money. After listening to a number of different models (PMC TwoTwo 6, Sveda Audio DAPO, MEG Geithain MO-2 and Focal Twin) and home demming some of them, I settled on a pair of Neumann KH310a.

They are sealed box speakers which genuinely go down to 34Hz (-3dB). They have a wonderfully mature, even handed sound with a superb midrange. The 3 way design means that the bass doesn't modulate the midrange allowing voices to come through with wonderful clarity. I would urge anyone looking for a pair of actives in the £3k price bracket to listen to a pair. They are superb (IMHO)

Apologies for the makeshift wooden boards under the speaker stands. This is temporary whilst I source a pair of stands which allow the speakers to be raised to the proper height.

Lefty

PS - the picture is already out of date. I've just changed the BM DAC 1 HDR for a BM DAC 2 HGC :eek:

15604679911_090276fae3_h.jpg

Nice one Lefty, and great to see you in lateral thinking mode with the speakers - they sound highly intriguing. :)

Sealed boxes too - hurrah!! Not enough of them on the market imho.

Have fun!

Many thanks Gromit!

I've definitely gone off on a tangent, but I'm enjoying the detour :D

Sealed boxes too - hurrah!! Not enough of them on the market imho.

Completely agree. Of all the speakers I heard, the two that came top of the pile were both sealed box designs.

Lefty

PS - I've also changed my Origin Live Conquerer (a superb arm in its own right) for a NA Ace Spacearm. Despite the price differential, I prefer the sound of the Ace Spacearm to the Conquerer on my Ace Spacedeck. (Goes to show the value of system synergy!)

Lefty

PS - I've also changed my Origin Live Conquerer (a superb arm in its own right) for a NA Ace Spacearm. Despite the price differential, I prefer the sound of the Ace Spacearm to the Conquerer on my Ace Spacedeck. (Goes to show the value of system synergy!)

Is this the one under £1000? did you go 10" or 12" i know what you mean about the NA arms i love mine :) so bloody musical.

You never stop upgrading :p

Dean

Yup - in the end I went for the 10" Ace Spacearm. I had more to spend but figured that since the humble Ace Spacearm was giving me everything I wanted, why pay more?

Incidentally, I visited Divine Audio today for the first time (to get a pair of 31" stands for my speakers) and was shown the Analogue Works TTs while I was there. They look very nice indeed. I must get a listen to the TT 2 once it is complete :)

Lefty

yep my thoughts as well. I had a listen to the NA and fell in love with what i heard. was just right is the best i can describe it.

The TT 2 is already finished unless you mean the "other" ;-) TT

Dean

+1 on the Spacearm - a somewhat underrated (by some) bit of kit. I still remember the day I fitted one to my old Spacedeck - I'd moved from a fully OL-pimped RB250 - it was one of those all-too-rare, genuine jaw-drop moments.

Would love to hear one on a Garrard too, I've a feeling it could be a formidable combination - the heft & drive of the idler with the Spacearm's finesse and effortless musicality. Sweet. :)

advertisement

Back