advertisement

System pics 2014 part II

Hello to Everyone,

For all of the nonsense we see posted at PFM, the general membership that has taken the time to post pics of their systems here all show exceptionally good taste.

I am particularly impressed by the well thought out smaller "sweet" systems that integrate well into the home environment and as I can only imagine play beautiful music at enjoyable volumes.

Louballoo

PS: I love systems with vintage gear and turntables!

Nothing fancy but does sound nice

(image snipped)

The disco mixer is a early 1976 Bozak CMA 10-2DL, all discrete and runs in class A. Replaced the PSU caps, psu rectifier and pots few months ago. Got RK-27's for balance and RK-40's for the level pots.

Technics SL-PS620 CD player?
Technics RSB-965 Cassette Deck?

The disco mixer is a early 1976 Bozak CMA 10-2DL, all discrete and runs in class A. Replaced the PSU caps, psu rectifier and pots few months ago. Got RK-27's for balance and RK-40's for the level pots.

Which do you prefer the Stanton 680 or the Shure?

Leema looking good Ian.

Thanks Geoff, I wasn't familiar with Leema until I bought your Agena, but it's beautifully made kit with tank like build quality. To my ears it easily sounds as good as the Tom Evans kit I had (which I still like), but more flexibile in its functionality.

I never got on with NBLs either. Kind of exciting but the odd tonality dominated too much. DBLs are big, cuddly sounding things. This can tip over into sounding as if a cloth has been flung over them in the wrong circumstances, but I've never had too much of an issue making them sound OK here.

Technics SL-PS620 CD player?
Technics RSB-965 Cassette Deck?

Technics SL-PS640A CD player and a modified Technics RS-B755 cassette deck.
It was modified by A.N.T. (he used to work for Creek) It's got new heads and some mods to the rec+playback amps. I brought it from him like that.

The CD player was a £5 boot fair find and it replaced another cheapy CD player (Marantz CD-53 I think, can't remember)
I prefer the Technics sound and find it closer to analogue playback i.e. not harsh.

re carts.. Stanton, I'm a big vintage Stanton fan especially the early NYC made ones (later ones were made in Florida where quality dropped)

If I could have it my way I'd be using Stanton till the day I die, unfortunately they no longer make em. The Stanton brand now is about the equivalent to toilet paper.
A friend of mine has a 981 HZS on a micro seiki ddx-1000, it sounds stunning!

I just use the Shure's as they are cheap and still made, they sound b***ocks compared to the Stanton's but I prefer them over Ortofon's.

Got a few more bits too errrr

KEF-104aB's now in my little studio
547464_10153122369115182_1935928659_n.jpg

Also have some KEF Reference Model One's in the living room but they are currently being repaired (LF drivers being re-foamed)
They were another boot fair find!

The 103.2's are so far my favourite KEF's out of the 3, might go to 105.2's one day

1495514_10154802065645182_63418319143273818_n.jpg

You know that having the Audiolab in there will mean running everything at +8 to try to get some pace into the system? If you are here for long you will get the history lesson and end up trying to buy the dynamically named Lentek Amplifier.

Nice to see a "working" system and not just a listening hi-fi. Have you ever heard or seen a Bozak amplifier? IIRC there was a tie up with Saul Marantz or McIntosh amplifiers, I just remember big and American audio royalty. I am sure google will be your friend here.

Got a few more bits too errrr

KEF-104aB's now in my little studio
547464_10153122369115182_1935928659_n.jpg

Also have some KEF Reference Model One's in the living room but they are currently being repaired (LF drivers being re-foamed)
They were another boot fair find!

The 103.2's are so far my favourite KEF's out of the 3, might go to 105.2's one day

Just spotted the 700s. The first synth I ever spent any time with, that puts me in good company. :D:D:D;););););)

Hi Fay, what do you mean by running everything at +8? You mean into the pre or to the power amp?

I have to say at the moment I'm quite happy with the power amp but always open to other things.

I have seen Bozak amps but only on the internet, not in person. I also have heard something along those lines re McIntosh but not sure where from.
I still occasionally speak to Buzzy who worked at Bozak back then, I may ask him next time I speak to him what the deal was with the amps.
He helped me getting some bits to refurbish my mixer.
I have never seen them for sale in the UK though, you'd need one hefty step down or replacement transformer though if I was to get one :-D

Hello to Everyone,

For all of the nonsense we see posted at PFM, the general membership that has taken the time to post pics of their systems here all show exceptionally good taste.

I am particularly impressed by the well thought out smaller "sweet" systems that integrate well into the home environment and as I can only imagine play beautiful music at enjoyable volumes.

Louballoo

PS: I love systems with vintage gear and turntables!

G'wan, show us yours . . .

;)

advertisement

Back