advertisement

System pics 2012

lovely cart so far with the best yet to come ...

7563784820_3d0d4cc947_c.jpg

Thanks guys.

The amps are Michell Alecto Mono's. I had the ATC integrated before, it had a tighter bottom end for sure and was faster. The Michell's go lower though, but have less control and are slower, but I like that - less hifi more music to these ears. They are a bargain for what they go for 2nd hand IMO.

Hey Halvis - superb system. I've thought about an alecto powered system myself. How do they compare with your old ATC amps? And how's the Dino phono stage against your old Era Gold V?

one thing - I see sources, I see power amps, I see speakers...where's the volume control?

My "new" arm and cartridge combination. I've wanted a classic LP12/Ittok/Troika since about 1986, now I know what all the fuss was about. :)

IMG_3627.jpg

nice work, John. I remember talking LP12's with you all those years ago, your patience appears to have paid off.

nice work, John. I remember talking LP12's with you all those years ago, your patience appears to have paid off.

Rico,
I bought my LP12 in 1991, but I didn't really use it much after the CDS2 arrived, so it was sitting in its box in the loft until a couple of months ago! Got to love ebay/PFM, I have picked up an Ittok, Troika and SBLs for a fraction of their new cost and all were pretty much mint. So glad I got the LP12 out again, I have really enjoyed the nostalgia of playing vinyl I collected in my teens and early twenties.
John

those speakers are certainly big ,do you have details of the system looks interesting

Speakers are 2-way JBL's, inspired by K2 9800 using the same H9800 horn but with a JBL2452 /4" Beryllium compression driver over the standard 3" 435 Be/045Be combo.
Runs ballanced, active xover/DSP is a XTA/Tannoy 226 feeding 2x MC2 MC650 Power amps, 700w a side. Mac mini/ SBT via MDAC all balanced using Klotz cables.

yes, (sorry John) I just un-archived the other fragment of that memory while reading back through this thread - you'd had one for ages but not been using it post CDS2. age and lack of defragging is cluttering up my storage unit (noggin).

SBLs - w00t!

next stop - a lingo in case you have some 12" singles from back in the day. what do your offspring reckon of the old vinyl?

next stop - a lingo in case you have some 12" singles from back in the day. what do your offspring reckon of the old vinyl?

I have a mkI Lingo which was also bought in 91 and I have a lot of rave/house/jungle/techno vinyl on 12" so the 45rpm gets a lot of use. The kids have not taken much notice of the deck, which is lucky, I don't want a toddler trying to hand cue my Troika!

yes, (sorry John) I just un-archived the other fragment of that memory while reading back through this thread - you'd had one for ages but not been using it post CDS2. age and lack of defragging is cluttering up my storage unit (noggin).

SBLs - w00t!

Reminds me Rico of one Saturday about 10 years ago, after the usual record/CD shopping and pub with the LNL gang when we went back to your place in North London for a curry (I think) and you whipped out the silicon sealant gun to demonstrate how easy it was to set up SBLs even after a few beers! :)

guilty as charged!

our kids have grown up with vinyl, and know not to touch it. I have had to replace a set of SBL tweeters, though.

time I whipped up a system pic.

Hey Halvis - superb system. I've thought about an alecto powered system myself. How do they compare with your old ATC amps? And how's the Dino phono stage against your old Era Gold V?

one thing - I see sources, I see power amps, I see speakers...where's the volume control?

Thanks 1000, good to hear from you.

In Hifi Mag speak I would say that the ATC integrated had a 'vice like grip' on the drivers. This was great for some material but very dry on others, and I did go and listen to other systems at one stage to compare. I found I was was enjoying the music better on these (often valve based) systems more.

So I did actually try a couple of valve amps in my system with the ATC speakers. A KT88 35W integrated drove them fine actually, plenty loud enough as well. However, it didn't do everything I wanted and the Alecto's are actually a great compromise between the speed and grip of the ATC amp and the extra depth and big sound of the KT88, but which was a little too slow and lacked clarity.

The Era Gold I was using would have been used with a different cartridge (probably AT OC9) so would be difficult to compare the two tbh. However, the vinyl front end I have now is the best I have had ever had by quite a margin, but its also the most expensive. I did pitch the Dino and a Dynavector P75 head to head with the DV 20xl cartridge mounted. To my surprise I kept the Dino and sold on the DV. The P75 sounded flat to me with the Dino having a larger sound stage and more air, this was with the standard PSU on the Dino as well. I couldn't hear anything better about the P75 at all and I wanted to like it.

The Audiolab CDQ takes care of volume control and selection as it has a built in pre-amp. Is also a DAC and CD Player too. I got mine brand new for less that £600 as it wasn't the latest model and then upgraded it to the latest model for £100. So for less than £700 it was an absolute bargain, as the pre-amp is actually pretty good, better than many I have used. I have tried it against a Benchmark Dac 1 and there wasn't really any difference to hear really.

Hope you are well, whats happening your end?

New cartridge not run in yet but already sounding very good i'll have to start saving for the mono version asap.

011.jpg

012.jpg

My LP12 is now back from WYS&H, after a couple of upgrades, many thanks Colin.
Here is the obvious one close up:

DSC07796-1.jpg

DSC07794-1.jpg

advertisement

Back