advertisement

System pics 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
1000RPM,

Nice system!!!

The coolness factor of all that CB gear is off the chart!

Louballoo

agreed- the CB's look great. As do the smaller 1/4 width boxes? mm they'd look as fab as CB's but for the logo on front (a bit of friday pm logo design there?) Id black them myself. Very kewl lot tho- CB's barely look dated do they?

5401519106_b2bcbb7cb3_z.jpg

Lefty

Nice pic Lefty - whatever one says or thinkgs about toobs, they can certainly be photogenic. :)

I'm stilling mulling over moving back to the 'other side' for a while - my rig's not really gelling at the moment, and I've got so many ideas whizzing around in my head I'm giving serious consideration to selling the lot and starting again, carefully, from scratch. This is not a bad thing, in fact I'm quite excited by the prospect of a 'clean sheet start'. :)

Many thanks matey!

I'm stilling mulling over moving back to the 'other side' for a while - my rig's not really gelling at the moment, and I've got so many ideas whizzing around in my head I'm giving serious consideration to selling the lot and starting again, carefully, from scratch. This is not a bad thing, in fact I'm quite excited by the prospect of a 'clean sheet start'. :)

I know the feeling - I've been there many times and explored all sorts of different paths. As ever, I'll be interested in hearing which route you decide to take :)

Lefty

I know the feeling - I've been there many times and explored all sorts of different paths. As ever, I'll be interested in hearing which route you decide to take :)

Lefty

It was your enthusing over the A30 in your email the other which got my mind ticking over the idea of going thermionic again. I think the last time we spoke, I made mention of the time when my rig was giving me so much musical joy, and at the heart of it was the good old A30 but of course like the plonker I am, I got rid. :rolleyes:

There's the KEL84 on eBay at the moment, but much as I adored that little amp, it really hasn't got the oomph I need now in the larger room we have now and it would mean some serious speaker re-consideration - the Royds are an easy load but they really seem to thrive on a stiff psu'd amp with plenty of driving power.

Happy days!! :)

Cesare - when we talk about a system in a music room... you have won Sir. Truely, this is the essence of "source first" :) :) :)

Well, the other end of the room has the usual bits to play back what other talented people can do with these items. Sadly my ability to play piano is about to be overtaken by my 10 year old son (who is the harp player). The missus plays the piano. I just sit about and listen.

It was your enthusing over the A30 in your email the other which got my mind ticking over the idea of going thermionic again. I think the last time we spoke, I made mention of the time when my rig was giving me so much musical joy, and at the heart of it was the good old A30 but of course like the plonker I am, I got rid. :rolleyes:

There's the KEL84 on eBay at the moment, but much as I adored that little amp, it really hasn't got the oomph I need now in the larger room we have now and it would mean some serious speaker re-consideration - the Royds are an easy load but they really seem to thrive on a stiff psu'd amp with plenty of driving power.

Happy days!! :)

An interesting predicament.

I wonder, are the problems with your current rig down to the little Royds not being suited to your new larger room? I ask because everytime I have moved house over the last few years, it has always resulted in a system which was previously working well, suddenly falling apart due to the speakers not being suited to the new environment.

Perhaps more efficient speakers with valve amps are the answer? :cool:

Lefty

An interesting predicament.

I wonder, are the problems with your current rig down to the little Royds not being suited to your new larger room? I ask because everytime I have moved house over the last few years, it has always resulted in a system which was previously working well, suddenly falling apart due to the speakers not being suited to the new environment.

Perhaps more efficient speakers with valve amps are the answer? :cool:

Lefty

Could be, Lefty - I'll have to try and borrow some other speakers to see where things stand on that issue. The Merlins seem ok - bass is firm, not over-blown, and I can use them nearer to the walls - where they were designed to be in fact. I bought a pair of Minstrels the other day but one of the drivers is slightly dicky but I could tell they had the potential to work very well. I'll sell these on as a spares/repair though.

If I could get a speaker which goes a bit deeper (but doesn't put out any more bass output) and has the pep and bounce of a Royd then I'd be very interested. I've got loads of space either side of the speakers, but need to have something which will work no more than 18" from the back wall. Room is 20'x11'6" with speakers firing across the width.

New addition (apologies for blurry photo):

DSCF1568.jpg

Replaced a Whest Two: It portrays subtle rhythmic interplays far better, songs just hang together in a more structured way. It feels like there's a huge amount of additional detail, but what it's done is just removed layers of mush. It's a wonderful piece of kit, and I cannot stop playing records until silly o'clock.

If I could get a speaker which goes a bit deeper (but doesn't put out any more bass output) and has the pep and bounce of a Royd then I'd be very interested. I've got loads of space either side of the speakers, but need to have something which will work no more than 18" from the back wall. Room is 20'x11'6" with speakers firing across the width.

So you'll be looking for a pair of Briks then? :D

Linn Index IIs? Not to be confused with the horrible 1s, which is why I think they are so cheap :)

As with all Linn speakers they work flat to a wall. They don't do really deep bass like their Keilidh / Kaber elder brothers as they only have a single mid-bass unit.

On the end of a LP12/Ittok/DV10x4/72/HiCap/180 they sounded great, plenty of tail-wagging bounce :)

Not very different visually,

P1000831.jpg

P1000856.jpg

P1000832-1.jpg

P1000849-1.jpg

need a piccie of the deck with apheta, oh well

That really does look domestically benign; a treat for the eyes if a little suspect from a purist's point of view. Hope that switched single socket doesn't feed that lot, though!:)

Don't get to post much these days but a few pics of my current system minus reck=ord decks:

Agathons.jpg

Rack002.jpg

Rack003.jpg

Gryo SE/309/Shelter 5000
Garrard 401/3009/sonus bluegold

Lumley valve amps
Ear 834P
MF X-RayV8
Horning Agathon Ultimate Loudspeakers (huge, sublime)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back