advertisement

System pics 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats! Nice system, too. Is that a Braun turntable on the left?

Hi Markus,
No it's my Thorens TD124 in a slate plinth, here's another shot (hopefully)

IMG_0036-2.jpg

IMG_0035-2.jpg

There may be a photo here, but the chances are there will not:(

Whoops....there you go then.....perseverance and all that.

Looool, Hi Dave, are you my brother just by coincidence? :D Or I'm I your mini-me? :) Love you set-up and envy 989's.

Hi Teti,

Yes I wondered whether we might be related when I saw the photo of your setup. It's a small world as they say around these parts:D

I do like ESLs I must say, I got started with a pair of 57s and then went to the 989s and I suppose ultimately I'd love to try a pair of 2905s but I don't think it's gonna happen unless anyone's out there wanting to do a down-size (?) for not too much money:)

Cheers......Dave

Hi David
Tell us about your slate plinth and dust cover on your TD124
would like to see a close up pic of the 124 and plinth if you've got one
Gerard

Hi David
Tell us about your slate plinth and dust cover on your TD124
would like to see a close up pic of the 124 and plinth if you've got one
Gerard

IMG_0013.jpg

Here's a shot of it with it's previous cartridge. (I'm currently using a Technics EPS310mc out of my SL10-stunning too).

The dust cover was custom made by "The Fraser Company" and although rather expensive, worth it IMO. The plinth is I believe Westmorland Slate which I had made about 25-30 years ago by a local Stonemason in Belper, Derbyshire for about 30/40 quid as I recall and the mat is an original "Dumpa" Plattamat made in France, very heavy/tacky, again purchased 25+ years ago.

Cheers....Dave

Very nice Dave, I am looking to change the plinth on my TD124 to something similar in size to yours as the plinth I have now looks just to big for the room.

I've got just upgraded tubes in preamp (its pre + phono) in linestage 3x paired ECC83 / 12AX7 vintage McIntosh and line 3x paired ECC83 /12AX7 vintage Hitachi. It sound like Heaven!!! Much punchier and tighter bass + natural midrange. Finally it's not killing my ears anymore.
In monobocks I have already upgraded Aero EL34 and upgraded caps.
Today I received speaker cables, lovely ones... Nordost Heimdall

Very nice indeed!

I have fond memories of my PMC GB1s - superb speakers that kept me happy for over 3 years.

Enjoy!

Lefty

What amazes me about a lot of the pics is you are always being told isolate this isolate that don't coil cable etc etc

But on these pics they are just normal everyday set up with none of that which I assume still sound great !!

One last look, before a large part of my humble little rig undergoes some major changes...

CRW_4701-1.jpg

CRW_4711.jpg

Will report back in a month or so. :)

What kind of Royds are they Gromit?

Jay

Hi Jay - they're Merlins, basically a stripped down version of the Sorceror - front-ported and without the damped/lined cabinets. I absolutely love 'em. :)

Sure they can be a bit loud'n'lary and even somewhat uncouth at times but they just hurl great chunks of music at the listener. Still haven't heard many speakers (and certainly none I've owned) which time/pitch like these.

They were about £350 when new apparently. Don't think I'd even sell them if someone offered me that for them.

so whats next then Gromit?

The $64,000 dollar question. :D

Got what looks like a very clean Inca Tech Claymore coming in the next few days (the Exposure rig is sold) which will form my single box amp/phonostage bit.

I really yearn for a better turntable - the Thorens is a lovely thing, and this one's a credit to its first owner (I'm only the 2nd owner in 40+ years) and it sounds pretty good. Trouble is, whilst being a nicely musical little device, it's a bit polite - possibly a consequence of the 3009. I'm hoping to raise itro £1.5k with all my sales which will put me within sniffing distance of a nice, late-spec P9 that Central Audio have for sale. I'd also consider a good, used Rega P7 if one came up.

Failing that I'm still looking at possibilities in the Garrard line. Always wanted one, perhaps now is the time to get one. :)

The Royds aren't going anywhere though.

Gromit
do not sell that 150. Don't do it ! You'll regret it. Why not try a better /more modern arm ? Rega P whatever over a 150 ? Don't !

Gromit
do not sell that 150. Don't do it ! You'll regret it. Why not try a better /more modern arm ? Rega P whatever over a 150 ? Don't !

Think I've just become a little bit frustrated with the Thorens - much as I loved my old LP12's, I'm starting to fall into the same 'is it set up quite right...maybe if I just tweak this etc etc' trap. No doubt the arm, whilst being a thing of great beauty, is letting the side down a little but I'm not 100% convinced I want to start throwing funds at it.

A Mose psu, a new arm, a new plinth etc it all costs and I'm left wondering if I may as well just get an LP12...which I really don't want to do. Seeing Lefty's mint P7 up for sale hasn't helped matters!! :D

Reckon I'll have approx £1.4k to spend on a turntable/arm/cart once everything that I'm going to sell, has been sold. That buys a hell of a lot of (used) turntable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back