advertisement

System Components

Oscons never sounded good from the off, they appeared to burn in somehow. Same for Teflons, but I've never experienced hundreds of hours, maybe 10.

Rule 5 sounds a bit dodgy to me. If your existing system has a fault, and you can show that the fault doesn't exist with other equipment, then surely it's rational to buy new equipment.

- Richard.
Surely this is a non sequitur. What has this to do with warranty?

A serious walk on new boots will give you blisters as big as a Naim Nait Two's power supply. A factory run-in won't prevent this. :)

Could be wrong here but rule 5 reads to me like he's advising folks not to buy a flawed component to compensate for another flawed component, rather, fix the problem at the source (get rid of the component which caused the problem.)

All of his advise makes sense to me.

I think dave has it.

As for Rule 1, this makes sense, but I've also sometimes found it telling to use some music which I don't like, but which I suspect I should like. Sometimes, a new component will show me a strength in some music which I hadn't previously appreciated, so I can recognise what others like in it, even if it's not to my taste. It's wise not to ignore those sort of insights.

Could be wrong here but rule 5 reads to me like he's advising folks not to buy a flawed component to compensate for another flawed component, rather, fix the problem at the source (get rid of the component which caused the problem.)

All of his advise makes sense to me.

Well, which bit of this leads you to that conclusion?

Rule 5) A product is often bought to compensate for a problem in the system, say like buying a new "soft" sounding CD player, because the system sounds bright. However this is like the classic case of the man who goes to the doctor because his toe hurts, not realising that the problem is his shoe is too small. There is often another reason for this. Our experience is that when a system does not play musically, the listener starts listening for faults, exactly like when you see a boring film and start to notice the poor quality of the picture, whereas the opposite happens when you see a good film, so that you can even forget that it is in black and white!

- Richard.

The first sentence Richard - the scenario has a chap replacing an existing CDP with a "soft" sounding CDP without any troubleshooting to determine what's actually causing the system to sound bright or objectionable.

The net result may be less brightness but possibly a loss of musical information as well if the replacement CDP isn't as good as the original CDP. Better to locate and fix only the problem instead of possibly throwing out the baby with the bathwater using a shotgun approach. Just my opinion of course.

regards,

dave

It is true that if your system plays in tune and in time* you will not notice that your room acoustics are less than perfect.

*For the pedants, faithfully reproducing music played in tune and in time.

It is true that if your system plays in tune and in time* you will not notice that your room acoustics are less than perfect.

*For the pedants, faithfully reproducing music played in tune and in time.

I find room acoustics important but they don't override any other aspect of the system or its setup unless they are horrendous. And if they were...I'd be thinking about using another room altogether.

As with my previous post, I'm not one for forcing a square peg into a round hole as there are usually additional unwanted consequences. Better to buy the right peg (or switch rooms IMO;-)

The first sentence Richard - the scenario has a chap replacing an existing CDP with a "soft" sounding CDP without any troubleshooting to determine what's actually causing the system to sound bright or objectionable.

The net result may be less brightness but possibly a loss of musical information as well if the replacement CDP isn't as good as the original CDP. Better to locate and fix only the problem instead of possibly throwing out the baby with the bathwater using a shotgun approach. Just my opinion of course.

regards,

dave

OK. Since troubleshooting hadn't been explicitly mentioned, I assumed that it had been determined that it was, say, the CDP that was the problem. Of course, it would be irrational to replace an element in a system that had a fault without having good reason for thinking that that element was the cause. But buying a new "soft" sounding CD player, because the system sounds bright might actually be the solution, and if one chose wisely it might not lose musical information.

- Richard.

OK. Since troubleshooting hadn't been explicitly mentioned, I assumed that it had been determined that it was, say, the CDP that was the problem. Of course, it would be irrational to replace an element in a system that had a fault without having good reason for thinking that that element was the cause. But buying a new "soft" sounding CD player, because the system sounds bright might actually be the solution, and if one chose wisely it might not lose musical information.

- Richard.

It isn't a solution, it is sticking plaster. The two-ends-meeting-in-the-middle or mix-'n-match approach is a recipe for an inoffensive sound rather than an involving listen.

Btw, I used Densen amplification from 2000 to 2008. It is good stuff and Thomas's philosophy concurs with mine.

- Richard.

I'm pretty sure Thomas was referring to folks fixing what isn't broken to compensate for what is instead of fixing the real problem with plaster as Steve puts it or as I call it, a "Band-Aid".

I'm on his side here...I used to see a lot of this sort thing when I worked in the industry. You always seem to loose something taking that approach.

FWIW, I've never heard Densen's gear. Sounds like they have a clue - I'd consider them if I were looking for a change.

Why don't you elaborate on your magic system hypothesis? You are saying that if your system plays in time and tune, then it is magically exempt from the acoustics of the room you put it in? You are either spectacularly dim, trolling, or mad.

advertisement

Back