advertisement

Symbology NAS to PC

Recently got a new pc and for the life of me can not remember how to set it up so that I can access my NAS music and video folders directly from my pc. On my old one I could just drag and drop directly now I’m having to go through a load of nonsense just to upload a file. I can map a drive, but only one at a time, the music or the video folder. I’m sure it’s something simple I just can’t remember.

Recently got a new pc and for the life of me can not remember how to set it up so that I can access my NAS music and video folders directly from my pc. On my old one I could just drag and drop directly now I’m having to go through a load of nonsense just to upload a file. I can map a drive, but only one at a time, the music or the video folder. I’m sure it’s something simple I just can’t remember.
Right click 'This PC' and select 'add a network location'. It'll then be accessible as if its on your machine for all drives on the remote station.

Cheers,

DV

You need create a share on the NAS, ie Music, then you’ll need to map the folder as a drive via windows. If you’re using W10 it’s really easy. Map a drive/folder is in windows explorer, just below the pull downs.

Last edited:
You need create a share on the NAS, ie Music, then you’ll need to map the folder as a drive via windows. If you’re using W10 it’s really easy. Map a drive/folder is in windows explorer, just below the pull downs.

I have tried this but it only lets me map one drive, the music or video. It makes me erase one map if I want to use the other. Bit of a nuisance.

Windows 10?

Click/Double Click as appropriate - This PC / Network / NAS / Folder - highlight the path in address bar or make a note - be along lines of \\NAS\Public\Music or \\NAS\Public\Video (Slashes are different to Internet located next to Z key)

Home Menu / Drop down Easy Access / Map as Drive / Choose Z:

copy \\NAS\Public\Music into Folder - Finish

Home Menu / Drop down Easy Access / Map as Drive / Choose Y:

copy \\NAS\Public\Video into Folder - Finish

Also make sure network discovery and file and printer sharing is switched on for your private network
If you click on your network and my PC icons you should be able to see your synology NAS and its drives you may have to enter the admin password to access the first time

Alan

Still not got this running despite numerous attempts. First of all it was only letting me map one drive to my account now it’s asking for a password that doesn’t exist. Fed up with it completely and ready to bin the lot.

The password I ended up using to access my NAS is not the same as the one I log in to Windows 10 with. At some point I must have named my PC "Admin" and (luckily) allocated my generic password to it. I must have done this when setting up the home network.
When I launch the Synology Assistant software (do you have that?) it prompts me to enter the name of the PC (Admin) and its password.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back