advertisement

Superb cables on a budget

My system is fairly high end (Wilson speakers, whatever ...), but besides cheap ethernet cables, my main signal cable is a Chord-C usb cable that came in a blister pack off some £4.99 magazine in W H Smith at least 10 years ago. It's a well made cable, showing no signs of wear after those 10 years, what bugs me is that they now sell it for £50. It seems the profiteering starts even on the "budget" stuff.

I've used Amazon Basics cables, but some have fallen apart. They need to develop an upgrade path.

What I don't get about the ASR Acolytes is why they need to constantly spam their shit in other people's faces. If someone has a very expensive system and they enjoy listening to it as a hobby, then what's the problem with them spending a fair wedge on cables if they like the way they look, the construction, materials or whatever? Hell, even if they get a certain amount of placebo out of it then who is anyone else to knock them down and tell them they're so wrong? Live and let live, surely...

The crusade against sketchy profiteering is one thing, but it's the smug tone and obvious sense of superiority that drips from their constant need to prove themselves right that loses me.

Cable marketing always implies there will be an improvement in sound quality no?
Would they sell as many if they simply stated that they looked nice?
Keith

You know what, I actually believe they probably would, yes, at least, at the higher end of the market value. Look at any hobby, you will find extraneous, overpriced nonsense in just about everything. Motorcycles and cars have literally thousands of pointless tweaks that are purely aesthetic and people still buy them. That's quite an extreme, very visible example, but literally, think of any hobby and I bet you can find over the top products that "enhance" the hobby and waste your money. Hobbyists have always been and will always be a lucrative market for any company dealing in the respective spaces.

Thank you for pointing that out. It was amusing for a while.

I once bought something recommended in ASR. It took about 2 months to arrive from China, by which time I'd forgotten I'd ordered it, and then took 3 months to expire. I read ASR sometimes during slow moments to get my blood pressure up, so it serves purpose.

The problem I have with ASR is that when I read it I forget that hifi is about listening to music. It just seems to be full of engineers obsessed with charts and numbers. I suspect when Amir goes to buy a suit he already knows his inside leg measurement and asks for one that reflects light at 450nm.

Some of the HFWW comments were well thought out, but someone distilled it down to "ASR are nutjobs". +1

I knew where this was going as soon as I saw the Pink Panther. Perhaps a better thread title might be

'Superb measuring cables, on a budget' *

*measurements performed on a bench in a test lab (garage) using a 1KHz test tone, no actual music was listened to and absolutely no system level tests were performed. No effort has been made to investigate noise rejection either radiated or conducted. Your ears are wrong, my measurements are right. You are deaf / deluded / an idiot.

Last edited:
What I don't get about the ASR Acolytes is why they need to constantly spam their shit in other people's faces. If someone has a very expensive system and they enjoy listening to it as a hobby, then what's the problem with them spending a fair wedge on cables if they like the way they look, the construction, materials or whatever? Hell, even if they get a certain amount of placebo out of it then who is anyone else to knock them down and tell them they're so wrong? Live and let live, surely...

The crusade against sketchy profiteering is one thing, but it's the smug tone and obvious sense of superiority that drips from their constant need to prove themselves right that loses me.

No one likes a know-it-all.

Another thing ASR doesn't take into account. Personally, I'd had a HiFi system for about 12 years without changing so much as a fuse, then streaming came along in my late 40's and that became an opportunity for HiFi to be my mid-life crisis. It was an interesting journey and in retrospect the mistakes were not that financially painful. Judging by friends and colleagues who for a mid-life wobble chose divorce, HiFi offers fantastic value for money.

Everyone needs something to get all het up about, whether it's cables, politics, the football, house prices, music or how everything went wrong after [insert year/decade]. For me, it's the use of the phrase 'train station' instead of 'railway station', though I'll probably find myself unthinkingly using the former phrase before long.

But, cables, really? Buy what you like, fit and forget. Don't worry about whether some bloke on the internet thinks you spent too much, or too little, or that you should use exactly the same cables that he does.

As Trollope put it: 'There is nothing perhaps so generally consoling to a man as a well-established grievance; a feeling of having been injured, on which his mind can brood from hour to hour, allowing him to plead his own cause in his own court, within his own heart, and always to plead it successfully.'

advertisement

Back