advertisement

Super near field monitor recommendations

This would be my choice. Having had a fair number of full-range driver based projects, including a pair of the little TD-508, they are ideal for nearfield listening. Even with a sub to help out on the low end.
I think the amazing coherence and the way they deal with timing lets them connect with the bit of your brain which responds to music, on an almost subliminal level. Yes, they have limitations in terms of frequency extremes, and dynamic levels (which is less critical in the near field IME) but what I learned from using them was that, for me at least, the FR and dynamic stuff was second order in terms of importance, and if the timing coherence thing was right, the other stuff became more about hifi than about music.

I have a pair of active Buchardt A500s in order. I am not planning of using them for near field listening, but I see that among the various setups there's one that should be optimised for near field use. Online reviews are quite encouraging.
In the latest newsletter Buchardt Audio has announced the release of a smaller speaker A300 which should fall in the 2500 € price range. I have no idea if the A300s will be more intended for near field use comparing to the A500 (I would assume so).
Buchardt offers a 45 days return policy and are very comunicative, should you have some questions about their products. I never tried them yet, I'll use the 45 days to make my own decisions.
You might consider these options too.

Pmc result6 is a great option too. I’m a bit biased using pmc actives at home, but they’ve impressed me every time I’ve heard them.
not the prettiest units though, if that matters.

I never found IEMs very comfortable and they seemed to exacerbate my tinnitus; have you tried good full enclosure headphones?

I'm only using cheap old Sennheiser HD280s and Momentum 3 s but they are so much more comfortable and natural sounding than my Shure IEMs were.

At 75cm nearfield you might be forever wanting to get your head in the sweet spot.

Ha yes - indeed I moved my Dynaudio XE10 into the office for a few days, and I am pretty underwhelmed when comparing to the £2-£4K TOTL IEMs that have wowed me recently!

Maybe I’ll need to get spending on some of the suggestions like Eclipse TD or Beonicke.

Really reticent to get passives though and the hassle of extra boxes.

The Genelec one maybe an option if I can find used.. and Buchardt look interesting will do some research on those :)

Last edited:
Thinking now I might get some nice floorstanders for downstairs and just have background music in the office with something cheap .... new thread started for now :)

Thinking of giving up on IEMs which I have used last year or so - but have started getting some tinitus so want to make sure it doesn’t get worse.

So might go to some near field monitors in my office space - maximum 75cm to 1 meter away for listening at moderate volume.

What’s the best way to spend £2-£4K and blow my mind? :)

Preferably active / even digital active like mini Kii Three kind of things?

Look forward to some ideas to get me going.....

What music do you listen to? Movies?

I've used neumann kh120 but a big big warning. The speakers is very dry. Any vocals heavy will sound very dry. They are very sterile speakers and suck emotions out of songs. If you listen to edm, then kh120 is for you.

I recommend harbeth or ls3/5a for vocals and tight bass.

Personally, atc scm 11 is the best I've used for nearfield. Pair that up with hegel amp and you are good to go. Proac sm100 is great as well. Deeper bass but less mid range magic

I've never found any 2-way conventional speakers that sound their best at 1m. The best I've heard are the tiny and astonishing audience ClairAudient one full range micro monitors, but they are necessarily constrained around both bass and spls and need to be regarded as uber- satellite speakers. I imagine they would be transcendent with something like Quad IIs. They sound like a cross between really good open backed cans and ESLs.

I have yet to hear the bigger audience 1+1 with dual drivers and resonators, but they would be on my list.

advertisement

Back