advertisement

Suggestions for larger 'classic' stand mounts

Maybe you should consider a pair of Dynaco A25s. 29cm W x 50cm H x 25 D. Or a modern replica like World Designs or Aural. They are pretty position tolerant too.

I’ve seen tannoy oxfords and Oxford golds for less than your budget. They look like eatons if you leave the grille on

I can't emphasize enough, how successful a speaker is the Rogers ls4a. They sell for peanuts, and are thoroughly un-collectible, under the radar mostly.
I love mine and am always enjoying music through them, with any amp I care to hook up. They may be just what you are looking for.

Did you say where you are?
I've always Liked Castle speakers http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=143784223271
s-l1600.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Another vote for KEF 104ab's. I have the KEF Calindas which are floor standers so wouldn't be any good to you. But the KEF 104ab's use the same driver line up and were very well respected.

Thanks for the suggestions. Kef 104ab were among the first that came to mind, the colour of the wood finish is pretty much ideal and I have always liked Kef speakers I've heard (I've owned a couple of more recent models, too). In the meantime I have sourced a pair of speakers to fill the void left by the recent sale of my Rega floorstanders, incorrectly oriented on the stands I have (they were designed for horizontal set up, I think) but still sound pretty nice once you're sat on our sofa, and look the part in a very vintage way:

PA120021 by Chris To Go, on Flickr

I'm not saying they are keepers but I am in no rush to get shot of them so can spend a bit of time searching for a replacement at a good price.

Pageants are decent enough, but Keesonic KRFs are in another league entirely. Basically a Spendor BC1 sized box, but to my ears the best of all of the UK-built Spendor lookee-likees. Paper-coned drive units as well, so no Bextrene quack and easy to drive. Particularly pretty in their walnut veneer. (Brown grille cloths too).

There are a few Keesonic fans on here and the Wam, so if you search the respective archives you should find some more info/comment.

Last edited:
B and W dm5 ..i picked up a mint pair for £80 last winter and they're still here the only speakers that i've flirted with replacing them with are Jr149's
I can't fault them.. with one caveat they are fugly without their grilles!

I can't emphasize enough, how successful a speaker is the Rogers ls4a. They sell for peanuts, and are thoroughly un-collectible, under the radar mostly.
I love mine and am always enjoying music through them, with any amp I care to hook up. They may be just what you are looking for.
I acquired a pair and plonked them on a pair of rusty old stands I literally rescued from the tip. I needed stop gaps and bought almost on a hunch because they were cheap, fairly local and I've never owned any Rogers before and felt like I should! OK so I am cheating a little with my SHD's DSP witchcraft and rolling over to twin Gemini II subs at 80Hz, but wow! If only they weren't "black ash" :(

advertisement

Back