advertisement

Suggestions for larger 'classic' stand mounts

starbuck

pfm Member
I am on the look out for some speakers for our lounge music + TV system, with the emphasis on lounge rather than necessarily the ultimate in fidelity, if you see what I mean. I want decent sound but am happy to sacrifice a bit if the look/fit of the speaker is what my wife and I are after. Cabinets can be no more than 63cm in height, in order to fit on the stands I already have and stay below the level of cupboards above and the sight line of the TV, but can be up to 38cm wide and 30cm deep. I was thinking along the lines of some vintage 70s speakers. I don't want to spend a lot as this is an experiment at present, so the likes of the more desirable Rogers/Spendor/etc models are likely out of the question. Real wood (brown) finish rather than anything black ash, brown grill cloths ideally, too. I don't mind what would potentially now be thought of as dated looking, it may well suit our decor.

Can anyone suggest anything suitable that fits my requirements list above? I am wanting to compile a list of possibles so I can keep an eye on ebay/gumtree/etc., feel free to get in touch if you have something you think may suit that wont cost too much (~under £200), or can recommend any 'sleepers' to look for.

Thanks for reading.

Mordaunt Short Paegent or almost any vintage Tangent speakers would me my choices.
A Kef with bextrene or dopped paper woofer and a small fabric tweeter can be interesting as well.

Another vote for Pageant IIs. In fact I picked up a mint pair for £30 at the weekend as they were the first speakers I owned, and I wanted to hear them again 30 years on. The tweeter series capacitors were miles off. Should be 5.0uF and measured at 14, 19, 28 and 57! The LF bypass caps were closer at 12 and 13 (should be 10). Bear that in mind when buying/listening.

Given the great deal I had I'm going to treat them to new PCBs which will be drop in replacements for the originals, mounting points and all. I get them made at Seeed, so will buy 10. So if anyone is interested in a pair, let me know.

Another vote for Pageant IIs. In fact I picked up a mint pair for £30 at the weekend as they were the first speakers I owned, and I wanted to hear them again 30 years on. The tweeter series capacitors were miles off. Should be 5.0uF and measured at 14, 19, 28 and 57! The LF bypass caps were closer at 12 and 13 (should be 10). Bear that in mind when buying/listening.

Out of interest, how do they presently sound (with the incorrect crossover values)? Just wondering how much of what I may end up hearing will possibly be down to out of spec. original components, on whatever I get, to know how/if they could be improved.

The tweeter series capacitors were miles off. Should be 5.0uF and measured at 14, 19, 28 and 57! The LF bypass caps were closer at 12 and 13 (should be 10). Bear that in mind when buying/listening.
Electrolytics often seem to go high in value as they dry out and go high ESR. My guess is that the aluminium oxide is getting very thin. Maybe with bipolars ,which are effectively two 10uF in series in this case, one polarity has gone short

Out of interest, how do they presently sound (with the incorrect crossover values)? Just wondering how much of what I may end up hearing will possibly be down to out of spec. original components, on whatever I get, to know how/if they could be improved.
I was unable to audition on pickup so did it very briefly when I got them home, and then only to confirm that all four drivers were working. I then stripped the crossovers out to examine them, so I cannot define their sound. Sorry!

Too bad the Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary speakers are so new. They aren't huge, have really good frequency response (40Hz to 20KHz at -3dB). I'd be looking closely at them if I was buying speakers. They appear to be on sale at a few retailers, but still the lowest price is around the £1000 mark.

Maybe in a few years? :)

Too bad the Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary speakers are so new. They aren't huge, have really good frequency response (40Hz to 20KHz at -3dB). I'd be looking closely at them if I was buying speakers. They appear to be on sale at a few retailers, but still the lowest price is around the £1000 mark.

Maybe in a few years? :)

these would probably be perfect but massively over budget, as you say they’re still circa £1000, I’ve yet to see any used ones for sale

advertisement

Back