advertisement

Subs n Lows

REL is one of the most beloved manufacturers of subs for 2-channel systems, so I assume there's some validity to it. I've had lots of experience building amplifiers, setting up stereos and studios, etc., but I don't consider myself more capable than them when it comes to subs.

Regarding phase alignment, I'm also a proponent, although it's much less critical at lower frequencies, where SPLs rise and fall over much longer periods. Even so, when I've setup subs, I generally try to position them between the two speakers, lessening the possiblity of phase misalignments. If the sub needed to be placed in a more unusual location, then I would have to futz with timing more, and a DSP would become more critical.
REL doubtless still make, or have made for them, decent subs. Over the years I’ve had a couple of RELs and three SVS, and have in practice found the SVS better sounding and, last time I looked, at a lower price for any particular spec.

Using a high level connection to preserve the quality of the amp? Well, Richard Lord did have some interesting beliefs, that wasn’t one of the most useful or valid of them Imho!

REL doubtless still make, or have made for them, decent subs. Over the years I’ve had a couple of RELs and three SVS, and have in practice found the SVS better sounding and, last time I looked, at a lower price for any particular spec.
I have both REL and SVS subs. For music there is no contest. REL is way better (and probably way more expensive too nowadays) for comparable specs.
Some ten years ago the price difference was considerably smaller.

I have no reason not to believe you. But I was directing my speech to the average layman that, including myself, doesn't posses golden ears. To us mere mortals there is no substitute to measurements, I'm afraid. ( ;) )

And as long as you haven't measured you don't know it might have been even better, do you?
There's something that's worth pointing out here. There are two general groups of people here:
  • The first doesn't feel it's possible to tune a sub with their ears, and probably wouldn't trust the results if they did. They prefer calibrated measurement equipment, and enjoy acquiring the gear and skills necessary to do the task. In the end, they feel that their approach is "correct", and therefore everyone should use it.
  • The second isn't so keen to pull out the laboratory equipment. They're willing to experiment with the settings directly, gauging the result over time with their own ears and sensibilities. They typically achieve results which are satisfying to them, which is all that really matters with this hobby.
These two groups are fundamentally incompatible, and will general view the other with derision and dismissal. ;)

Yes. The output from the main speakers themselves (check any distorsion measurement of speakers at low frequencies) has 'character' that vastly overshadows that from any decent amplifier driving them, so we are not 'preserving' anything useful by feeding the sub via the power amplifiers.

On the contrary, by using a proper HP filter before the amplifiers we relieve the poor main speakers of the bass they probably aren't that good at reproducing. By just adding bass from a sub we only gain half of what is possible.
Some speakers actually do a very good job with bass, my Klipsch Cornwall IV being a good example, reaching down to 32Hz. I don't want a relatively inexpensive sub to replace that well articulated bass, but merely to supplement the very low frequencies (perhaps 20-50Hz).

I have both REL and SVS subs. For music there is no contest. REL is way better (and probably way more expensive too nowadays) for comparable specs.
Some ten years ago the price difference was considerably smaller.
I don’t suppose either of us have used all models from both manufacturers in their systems but ime of 2 REL subs and 3 SVS I’ll spend my pennies on an SVS sub - ymmv.

There's something that's worth pointing out here. There are two general groups of people here:
  • The first doesn't feel it's possible to tune a sub with their ears, and probably wouldn't trust the results if they did. They prefer calibrated measurement equipment, and enjoy acquiring the gear and skills necessary to do the task. In the end, they feel that their approach is "correct", and therefore everyone should use it.
  • The second isn't so keen to pull out the laboratory equipment. They're willing to experiment with the settings directly, gauging the result over time with their own ears and sensibilities. They typically achieve results which are satisfying to them, which is all that really matters with this hobby.
These two groups are fundamentally incompatible, and will general view the other with derision and dismissal. ;)

Too true!

After living with large, 3-way Maggies for 30 years ... when I added a pair of subs (and a miniDSP 10x10HD to connect them up correctly) ... I was devastated how much I had been missing out on, for the previous 30 years. :(

Some speakers actually do a very good job with bass, my Klipsch Cornwall IV being a good example, reaching down to 32Hz. I don't want a relatively inexpensive sub to replace that well articulated bass, but merely to supplement the very low frequencies (perhaps 20-50Hz).

I guess it depends what music you listen to. Female vocals and a guitar ... 32Hz no problem. But Bach organ music or Yello - you need subs to deliver (flat) below 20Hz.

You’re probably right in that folk broadly fall into the “measure“ or “tune by ear” camps, although in practice there is another group that sets up with measurements and then fine tunes by ear. As always measurements are only of use if one knows how they correlate to the sound one hears. As someone in that third category I’m relieved to say that I feel no need to view anyone with derision or dismissal! ;)

If I set up a sub in a new room, say, then measurements to show what the room/mains need will get me to the fine tweaking stage in less than hour. Without that assistance from REW I would take weeks and, unless very lucky, have to listen carefully to bass region of a great number of tracks. Personally I’d prefer to set up reasonably quickly and get on with enjoying the music rather than tweaking the sound.

REW is just a tool, not an alternative philosophy, and as with all tools it’s usefulness is in the hands of the user.

I don’t suppose either of us have used all models from both manufacturers in their systems but ime of 2 REL subs and 3 SVS I’ll spend my pennies on an SVS sub - ymmv.
I certainly didn't use all the models. But I did listen to at least six from REL and five from SVS. We probably don't even value the same attributes in a subwoofer so what's best for you probably isn't best for me. Which is perfectly fine, of course. I was just giving my opinion based on first hand experience.

REL is one of the most beloved manufacturers of subs for 2-channel systems, so I assume there's some validity to it. I've had lots of experience building amplifiers, setting up stereos and studios, etc., but I don't consider myself more capable than them when it comes to subs.

Regarding phase alignment, I'm also a proponent, although it's much less critical at lower frequencies, where SPLs rise and fall over much longer periods. Even so, when I've setup subs, I generally try to position them between the two speakers, lessening the possiblity of phase misalignments. If the sub needed to be placed in a more unusual location, then I would have to futz with timing more, and a DSP would become more critical.
The main reason that some subwoofer companies offer two inputs, high level and low level is for convenience. A large number of preamplifiers, or integrated amplifiers don't come with 2 sets of pre-amp outputs so the only way of connecting to the sub(s) is via the high level speaker connections. I've used both very successfully. For 17 years I used the high level connections on all the Avantgarde Horns from Uno to Trios and this worked extremely well. For the last 10 years I have used the second preamp output connections to the Horn base in my Cessaro Liszts. Both options work extremely well. On the Cessaro's there are a good few more adjustments to get the best integration without the need for any DSP. The newer Avantgarde Horns now offer a similar level of controls.

I guess it depends what music you listen to. Female vocals and a guitar ... 32Hz no problem. But Bach organ music or Yello - you need subs to deliver (flat) below 20Hz.
Yes, but don't forget the subs are amplifying the low frequency harmonics in the music that goes to help make the instruments, voices etc sound more real, as well as reproducing the room acoustics where the recording was recorded in. This helps enormously to make the sound more realistic. Also helps soundstage width and depth, ambience, timbre etc in the recording too.

I'm thinking of getting a sub for use in my hifi rig only, won't be used for home cinema as I don't have a need for that. I'm not incredibly clued up on what subs do apart from the obvious, so looking for some help on that front. I'm not really looking for a sub that will necessarily give more bass grunt because I think I have enough of that already, but I have heard that a good sub can take the strain of your main speakers by dealing with the low end, thus allowing your main speakers to focus on the mid range and treble. Is that the case with all subs, or do different subs do different things?
My amps and speakers are Quad Artera Pre and also Artera Stereo Power amp. and my speakers are a pair of Gato FM 50 floor standers. I'd be looking to connect the sub to the Pre Out connections on my pre amp. I'd prefer a fairly small sub (well my wife would!)if poss.

Love to hear some recommendations, cheers.

Yes, but don't forget the subs are amplifying the low frequency harmonics in the music that goes to help make the instruments, voices etc sound more real, as well as reproducing the room acoustics where the recording was recorded in. This helps enormously to make the sound more realistic. Also helps soundstage width and depth, ambience, timbre etc in the recording too.
Very glad to see this written down so clearly. Thank you. I'm going to save it and repeat it the next time some goon tells me its 'just bass mate'

I'm thinking of getting a sub for use in my hifi rig only, won't be used for home cinema as I don't have a need for that. I'm not incredibly clued up on what subs do apart from the obvious, so looking for some help on that front. I'm not really looking for a sub that will necessarily give more bass grunt because I think I have enough of that already, but I have heard that a good sub can take the strain of your main speakers by dealing with the low end, thus allowing your main speakers to focus on the mid range and treble. Is that the case with all subs, or do different subs do different things?
My amps and speakers are Quad Artera Pre and also Artera Stereo Power amp. and my speakers are a pair of Gato FM 50 floor standers. I'd be looking to connect the sub to the Pre Out connections on my pre amp. I'd prefer a fairly small sub (well my wife would!)if poss.

You have no idea what you are missing. Quite simply, buy the biggest, best sub you can afford, preferably two. I use REL's but I'm sure the other usual suspects work well too. Try to audition if poss.

I have used a rel storm sub for years, now its disconnected, not really needed as my dynaudio speakers have good bass, and i don't want annoying neighbours. But it will be back soon.

You have no idea what you are missing. Quite simply, buy the biggest, best sub you can afford, preferably two. I use REL's but I'm sure the other usual suspects work well too. Try to audition if poss.
Thanks for reply. So what am I missing? :)
Unfortunately I won't be going big, and will only be one sub and not two. I also won't be able to audition, but I guess the fact that most hifi dealers that I buy online from give you a 30 day money back guarantee I pretty much will be able to audition at least one or two at home with the option of returning them.

G
Thanks for reply. So what am I missing? :)
Unfortunately I won't be going big, and will only be one sub and not two. I also won't be able to audition, but I guess the fact that most hifi dealers that I buy online from give you a 30 day money back guarantee I pretty much will be able to audition at least one or two at home with the option of returning them.
Generally speaking, REL makes great subs to pair with 2-channel systems, so you won't go wrong with something from their T/x Series.

Budget?

Around the £5-600 mark— REL T5 or SVS SB1000 Pro. The SVS has a very handy phone app which would sway me if I wasn’t going to use a DSP/EQ solution either built into the amp or external like Antimode/MiniDSP.

If you’re looking for a small footprint the SVS 3000 Micro would be worth checking out. The REL T-Zero I tried was pretty disappointing. My mate has a Sunfire miniature sub but it’s much more an AV centric choice, goes louder than you’d expect for a small cube.

BK Electric offer good value subs and have an outlet on eBay - search for BK sub or bkelectronicsshop

G

Generally speaking, REL makes great subs to pair with 2-channel systems, so you won't go wrong with something from their T/x Series.
Thanks. I had looked at REL T series earlier. I liked the look of the Tzero MKIII, mainly drawn to it's size. I was a bit confused about how to connect it to my Quad pre amp though. What is the High Level connector and where and how would I connect on my pre amp? There is a Low Level input and an 1/LFE input as well, where do they connect to on my pre amp? Sorry for the dumb questions but I just assumed I'd be running a pair of RCA cables from the Pre Outs on my pre amp to a couple of input connections on the back of the sub.

Budget?

Around the £5-600 mark— REL T5 or SVS SB1000 Pro. The SVS has a very handy phone app which would sway me if I wasn’t going to use a DSP/EQ solution either built into the amp or external like Antimode/MiniDSP.

If you’re looking for a small footprint the SVS 3000 Micro would be worth checking out. The REL T-Zero I tried was pretty disappointing. My mate has a Sunfire miniature sub but it’s much more an AV centric choice, goes louder than you’d expect for a small cube.

BK Electric offer good value subs and have an outlet on eBay - search for BK sub or bkelectronicsshop
Thanks. I wouldn't want to go much more than £4-500 if I could manage it. Wouldn't rule out a used or refurbed sub either, especially if it was from a dealer on ebay which brought the price down a bit.
I hadn't read your post before I replied to Mike, what in particular disappointed you about the Tzero?
I'll check out BK Electric, thanks.

advertisement

Back