advertisement

Streaming

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Thanks again. So 3.5mm connector out to this adapter and Bluetooth connection via the adapter. Is there much quality loss via this route? Would it still show the benefit of using better headphones such the B&W PX or Sony WH-1000mx2 over what I have?

I would probably use the Vault 2's optical output instead. This will eliminate unnecessary digital > analogue > digital conversion steps. Also, it will allow you to hide to adapter around the back. This adapter claims to support aptX, so the quality with the B&W PX and Sony WH-1000XM2 should be pretty good. However, I have not tried the adapter or either of those headphones myself. There are lots of other similar adapters available. This is just the first one I found on Amazon. For best results, look for one that has aptX HD.

I would probably use the Vault 2's optical output instead. This will eliminate unnecessary digital > analogue > digital conversion steps. Also, it will allow you to hide to adapter around the back. This adapter claims to support aptX, so the quality with the B&W PX and Sony WH-1000XM2 should be pretty good. However, I have not tried the adapter or either of those headphones myself. There are lots of other similar adapters available. This is just the first one I found on Amazon. For best results, look for one that has aptX HD.
Thanks. That clarifies what I thought might be happening it is going through da >ad conversion and that can't be good, but if that can be eliminated then losses should be less. I suppose there may also be differences in the quality of the Bluetooth adapters?

Thanks. That clarifies what I thought might be happening it is going through da >ad conversion and that can't be good, but if that can be eliminated then losses should be less. I suppose there may also be differences in the quality of the Bluetooth adapters?

Possibly, but in theory aptX provides lossless transmission. In any case, you will probably find that all of the available models share just a two or three of different chipsets.

Another solution for streaming to headphones that doesn’t rely on reduced quality Bluetooth is to use wired headphones and your mobile phone. Put a suitable UPnP renderer app on your phone that suits your server - for example Plugplayer, iPeng, JRemote -and you can stream full fat cd quality to your phone from your server. iPeng works with the LMS squeezebox software, and is also an excellent control point. JRemote does the same with JRiver - makes your phone or tablet a control point which can also be an endpoint.

Barely!
I feel that I have been hijacked, spoon fed gruel and left to hang out to dry! How could I possibly have known what my simple question would produce?
Think I'm going to go down the SBT route: it was only to dip my toes into internet streaming; not storing, not setting up/building my own unit or even paying huge amounts of wonga!!
Thanks to everyone, anyway, and enjoy the thread!

Barely!
I feel that I have been hijacked, spoon fed gruel and left to hang out to dry! How could I possibly have known what my simple question would produce?
Think I'm going to go down the SBT route: it was only to dip my toes into internet streaming; not storing, not setting up/building my own unit or even paying huge amounts of wonga!!
Thanks to everyone, anyway, and enjoy the thread!
SBT-great choice. Enjoy your journey.

I have a couple of Chromecast devices. Great and cheap solution. I am keeping them in the hope that Roon integrates them into their set up. I can use them with LMS.

advertisement

Back