Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Streaming thru Hifi

Discussion in 'audio' started by Steve Burns, Jan 14, 2021 at 10:46 AM.

Tags:
  1. Steve Burns

Steve Burns New Member

Hello

Have an old but not too bad hifi system - I am after recomendations for a simple way to stream music through it eg from Deezer. It will be into a Naim pre-amp - using old 5 pin din connectors.

Cheers
    Steve

2. Amber Audio

Amber Audio This is the Day

Naim DIN to 2xRCA cable. then take your pick of streamers with analogue out. Plenty threads if you search. Budget? To name but a few

Raspberry Pi with DAC Hat
    SONOS
    BlueSound Node2i
    SBT
    Yamaha

Or any of the Naim ones ND5XS for example

3. halvis

halvis pfm Member

A Google Audio Chromecast is the simplest way i can think of and cheap. I have used one for years, doesn't even need an external DAC. I power mine with a large powerbank rather than the cheap wall plug, this makes it far more audiophile.

They should be less than £30 off of eBay, i am not sure they make them anymore.

It sounds way, way, way better than it should.

You will need a 3.5mm jack to Naim cable

4. Snufkin

Snufkin pfm Member

5. RichardH

RichardH Bodging pleb

...I think you'll find it is 3.5mm not 2.5mm - not trying to be a pedant, just making sure you get the right cable. I use a Chromecast audio along with the Google ethernet adapter/power supply - this means it doesn't rely on wifi for the streaming.... though to be fair the wifi method works pretty well.

halvis likes this.
  6. halvis

halvis pfm Member

Thanks, you are correct. I will update the post as well.

7. Steve Burns

Steve Burns New Member

Thanks all - some useful pointers there.
    To RichardH - I do have a google chromecast device but this only has a HDMI output. Do you mean something else?

8. Amber Audio

9. narabdela

narabdela who?

You can get an adapter to extract audio only from the HDMI Chromecast.

10. Steve Burns

Steve Burns New Member

Thanks - so it looks like the Chromecast audio coupled with this 3.5 mm jack to 5 pin din adapter (amazon.co.uk/kenable-3-5mm-Stereo-Audio-Cable/dp/B00KQUZQ4O?th=1) should do the trick.

To narabdela - that would be a good option as I have the chromecast/HDMI but struggling to find a HDMI/din adapter.

PS couldnt post the full link so dropped the www

RichardH likes this.
  11. Amber Audio