advertisement

Streaming music

You assume incorrectly, there is a depth to the sound of vinyl that I have not heard replicated from CD’s, sorry if it’s not a scientific answer, I’m pretty sure that a million experiments can be performed stating CD is superior but quite frankly the only thing I use to measure sound quality is my ears...

You might want to edit your posting to fix the formatting error.

Seems I assumed correctly, as you make it clear that your only justification of claiming vinyl superiority is your own subjective preference.

This from earlier is still confusing me Ian

“ . . . surely the best you can stream online is CD quality?”

This from earlier is still confusing me Ian

“ . . . surely the best you can stream online is CD quality?”
Being new to streaming music I was in the process of finding out how everything worked, I was under the impression that CD and streamed music were of the same sample/but rate?

You might want to edit your posting to fix the formatting error.

Seems I assumed correctly, as you make it clear that your only justification of claiming vinyl superiority is your own subjective preference.
Seems your a tad patronising...

Being new to streaming music I was in the process of finding out how everything worked, I was under the impression that CD and streamed music were of the same sample/but rate?

Beyond CD the amount of bits per sample and the sample rate are not really measures of quality. The important distinction with streaming is lossy vs. lossless encodings, and, with lossy encodings, their data rates. A lossy codec processes the material and selectively discards material that are likely to be inaudible thanks to masking (for example, subtle wind sounds during a very loud cymbal crash). The data rate reflects how much data is retained. Typical lossy codec speeds for codecs like MP3, ALAC and ogg are between 128 kbit/s and 320 kbit/s (still resulting in a 16/44.1 or even 24/48 output). A lossless codec like FLAC encodes the full, original data stream without discarding anything, but packs it more efficiently, so that a 16/44.1 raw data stream of 1411 kbit/s requires something like slightly more than 700 kbit/s.

I think ALAC refers to Apple Lossless Codec Format which is, as it states, lossless not lossy. When using iTunes to rip a CD it's important to check the settings to ALAC and not the default AAC (Advanced Audio Codec) which is lossy if you want lossless files.

Hi looking for a little advice currently run a sonos connect through a Metrum Dac using dezzer & CD's ripped to flac files. I keep looking at the bluesound Node 2 so I can reduce the box count but not sure how the DAC would compare to the sound of the Metrum.

Hi Mike. I know nothing about the Metrum but I'm a massive fan of the Bluesound stuff. I think it's incredible value for money.

If you rip CDs and want to reduce box count then why not consider the Vault 2 instead of the Node?

I have the Vault and was very impressed with it using its onboard DAC. Admittedly using it with my Mytek Brooklyn is considerably better but I could have live with the Vault on its own.

Thanks for the reply Harry have put add in classifieds as have a Sonos ZP120 I don’t use so could part exchange for a node 2 and that way can try it against the connect with and without the dac. Tall order but you never know.

I have now set up the Arcam rPlay using a windows laptop and playing Tiday Masters, I have to say I am genuinely impressed, I haven’t played vinyl and digital at the same time but will do at some point to see if there are any differences or if it’s just my own preference for one format over another

advertisement

Back