advertisement

Streaming music

Ian, I can't help you with the technical stuff but I am quite certain that once you get streaming sorted, there's no going back.

Can I ask what your current listening sources are? Vinyl or CD? Both?

Take it back ask for your money back and you may return after you have more thoroughly researched your needs. It may be a few weeks. Thank you.

I like what the Yamaha streamers do for the money. Similar to Sonos but with Hi-Res, and support Tidal, Spotify, Deezer, Qobuz and Airplay. Seem to be very stable over WiFi, although this will always be pushing it if you play Hi-Res files. WX-AD 10 is what I would consider, or if you want a built in preamp, WX-C 50.

My advice would be to take it back and get a Bluesound Node :)
I am going to speak to Arcam’s customer service tomorrow and get a definitive answer about if I can actually play 24/196 files
I like what the Yamaha streamers do for the money. Similar to Sonos but with Hi-Res, and support Tidal, Spotify, Deezer, Qobuz and Airplay. Seem to be very stable over WiFi, although this will always be pushing it if you play Hi-Res files. WX-AD 10 is what I would consider, or if you want a built in preamp, WX-C 50.
I did look at the WX-AD10 online but it wasn’t in stock and I really wanted to get up and running, that’s the annoying thing really as the device I have now ‘should’ be what I need...

A decent dac gives you many options. The Chromecast Audio does't do hi res but is very good and dirt cheap. I find its a bit flaky sometimes over wifi so will often just connect my phone or mac to the dac and drive that way.

Last edited:
Is there any advantage in having a dedicated streamer over a laptop running say JRiver?

Yes, you don't have to have your laptop running to listen to music. I control my streamer (Squeezebox touch) with my phone.

advertisement

Back