advertisement

Streamers...next step from Bluesound Node?

Found this from a seller:

“improved output stage
OPA1612 Op-Amp (instead of OPA1462)
Femtosecond clocks
Gold-plated “Master Edition” on the front panel
The first three points ensure that the DMP-A6 provides better sound when used both as a Streamer and d/a converter. If you intend to use the DMP-A6 with an external d/a converter, you do not need the Master Edition.”

Where did you learn that? My friend just ordered the Master Edition for himself, but he'll almost certainly be using an external DAC. If what you say is true, I'm sure he would like to change to the lesser unit.
I think it was on the Eversolo forum.

@Ginger I'll follow your thread closely.

I'm also convinced that my Bluesound Node 2i is the bottleneck in my stereo setup.

I am now seriously considering using a Roon server and whatever streamer I'll use will just be a Roon Endpoint feeding a Denafrips Pontus II.
I subscribe Tidal, Qobuz and I also have a local music library.
At first I'll probably keep the Node 2i but upgrading it will probably happen sooner or later.
Any suggestions for a Roon Endpoint to feed a Pontus II DAC?

Thanks!
If you can find a used Lumin U1 Mini, it will be an excellent Roon endpoint. Of course, you can also use it’s player software, which has better SQ than Roon.

If you can find a used Lumin U1 Mini, it will be an excellent Roon endpoint. Of course, you can also use it’s player software, which has better SQ than Roon.

Good to know. I'm not sure about the OP since he's upgrading from a Bluesound Node but I upgraded from a laptop to Lumin U2 Mini and it's surely a noticeable or significant uplift in sound quality to me. Although the U2 mini is the entry-level model, it's all I need since I don't intend to spend a lot of money on a streamer.

Something else coming to the party. Just noticed this from denafrips.

We are thrilled to introduce the DENAFRIPS Ares 12TH-1 DAC, a product of our utmost delight. Expanding upon the tremendous success of its predecessor, the Ares 12th-1 takes the remarkable build quality of the Ares 12th to even greater heights. With the addition of an anodized aluminum chassis, the Ares 12th-1 undergoes a transformative enhancement. This revolutionary step sets the stage for the forthcoming DENAFRIPS streamer(!), which will follow the same compact form factor as the Ares 12th-1, presenting options in both sleek silver and elegant black finishes.

Sorry, have to disagree, having been where the OP is, the Node is the bottleneck, even the dCS NWB I tried was way better than the Node into the same DAC . A much better digital transport will drag more performance from the DAC.
I’m not sure I’d go as far as to use such a negative word as bottleneck. Every system is held back from the next level of greatness by something in the playback chain. I suppose I prefer to call these opportunities for improvement rather than weaknesses; too long working in management!

My Node has been at the heart of my system for years. Mega-pimped in stages, each of which reaped rewards. Yes, I’ve now shifted to Innuos streaming like you, but that’s because of the Pulse range performing even better… and without pimping (I too dropped the Mutec when I moved to Innuos). I remain a fan and advocate of the Node but now have to mention Innuos every time someone asks for a recommendation.

I’m not sure I’d go as far as to use such a negative word as bottleneck. Every system is held back from the next level of greatness by something in the playback chain. I suppose I prefer to call these opportunities for improvement rather than weaknesses; too long working in management!

My Node has been at the heart of my system for years. Mega-pimped in stages, each of which reaped rewards. Yes, I’ve now shifted to Innuos streaming like you, but that’s because of the Pulse range performing even better… and without pimping (I too dropped the Mutec when I moved to Innuos). I remain a fan and advocate of the Node but now have to mention Innuos every time someone asks for a recommendation.

Which Innuos if I may ask?

What about a second-hand Naim ND5XS? They seem to sell for around £600 and, from my own experience, work really well as a digital source. I had planned to sell mine when I got my Innuos Zen Mini, but I was surprised how much better the Naim sounded than the Zen when feeding my Chord Qutest, so I have kept it.

What about a second-hand Naim ND5XS? They seem to sell for around £600 and, from my own experience, work really well as a digital source. I had planned to sell mine when I got my Innuos Zen Mini, but I was surprised how much better the Naim sounded than the Zen when feeding my Chord Qutest, so I have kept it.
Do you use the Zen Mini LPSU?

No, just the bare-bones unit, does the LPSU improve it much as a digital source?
I fully expected the Naim and the Zen to sound the same through my DAC, tbh.
I have never used mine with the supplied brick, but I understand from others that the power supply makes a substantial difference.

I know from personal experience with other kit like the Node that a PSU probably makes more difference than any other component. The DC3 made a massive difference to my Node, and that is using it purely as a digital source into an external DAC.

If you look inside eg a Zen Mini vs a Zen, for example, you won't see much difference if any in the digital circuitry but you will see a difference in the power supply and I've heard the same about eg Auralic.

On the Zen Mini specifically, the voltage range it will accept is wide at 9-24v. All other things being equal, higher voltages within that range (but not higher than it!) should give better performance. The supplied SMPS brick is 12v. The LPSU is 16v.

Anyway, if you get the chance to hear an LPSU in your system, you might find the gap with the Naim is much smaller.

I have never used mine with the supplied brick, but I understand from others that the power supply makes a substantial difference.

I know from personal experience with other kit like the Node that a PSU probably makes more difference than any other component. The DC3 made a massive difference to my Node, and that is using it purely as a digital source into an external DAC.

If you look inside eg a Zen Mini vs a Zen, for example, you won't see much difference if any in the digital circuitry but you will see a difference in the power supply and I've heard the same about eg Auralic.

On the Zen Mini specifically, the voltage range it will accept is wide at 9-24v. All other things being equal, higher voltages within that range (but not higher than it!) should give better performance. The supplied SMPS brick is 12v. The LPSU is 16v.

Anyway, if you get the chance to hear an LPSU in your system, you might find the gap with the Naim is much smaller.
It would be an interesting exercise, but the LPSU costs pretty much what I would expect to sell the Naim for second hand and the Naim app is much better than the Innuos one, so I think I'll stick with my current setup. Maybe if I could pick up a second hand LPSU...

It would be an interesting exercise, but the LPSU costs pretty much what I would expect to sell the Naim for second hand and the Naim app is much better than the Innuos one, so I think I'll stick with my current setup. Maybe if I could pick up a second hand LPSU...
I have no experience of the Naim app but know how many people enjoy Innuos Sense; must get my eyes on the Naim app at some point, for academic interest of course.

I was thinking you might be able to get an LPSU on demo, that's all. Or borrow one from a local trustworthy fishie owner...

I also have an upgraded Node, it might be worth going for the Fidelity Audio clock upgrade as for me it has delivered further improvements. That with a DAC that is supposed to have first class jitter suppression. I grabbed mine from Nye and it has both an upgraded clock and the RFI pads:

https://www.fidelityaudio.co.uk/clocking--emi--rfi-treatment-380-c.asp

The Teddydac is an excellent DAC at it’s price point, it may be worth borrowing another
one but I imagine you’d need to spend a couple
of grand to significantly better it.

Nigel, is the Innuous kit much better as I have to say mine sounds pretty darn good?

Conversely, I’ve decided not to throw time and money at my Node. It’s fine for the limited headphone use (with a separate headamp) I bought it for but even plugged into a Chord 2Qute, it is surprisingly worse than a MacBook Pro going into the same dac and the speakers.

Nigel, is the Innuous kit much better as I have to say mine sounds pretty darn good?
Perhaps a separate conversation but yes, I was surprised too. My multi-pimped Node had been a great journey, with each pimp bringing much satisfaction in the sound quality improvements, and the end result impressed me and many others for 2-3 years. I merely wanted to scratch the itch and a PulseMini came up at an affordable price; I bought it to try the app as much as anything, and at the same time picked up from this very forum the matching Zen Mini LPSU. I was surprised; it was a significant enough difference to make the commitment to change away from Node 2i, and I’ve been a Node fanboy forever. I don’t know how it does it!

advertisement

Back