advertisement

Streamers...next step from Bluesound Node?

Ginger

pfm Member
Apologies if this has been done elsewhere: does anyone have experience of the nest step from the bluesound node? Like several others here, mine is pimped with fidelity audio power board and an aftermarket LPSU. And a Teddy DAC. What, if anything, makes a realistic and appreciably better next step?

Are you looking to improve sound quality, usability, or both?

If it's sound quality then a better DAC would be the best route. If you want it to be more usable then look at Roon.

I went from pimped Node2 & Black Ice DSD to an Innuos ZenITH 3 in Oct 22 and it was a significant leap in SQ to my ears. Did an a/b at the dealers over a few hours, using a prepared Qobuz playlist and it became apparent quite quickly that the Node2 was severely lacking in most areas. The sound was thin and congested with little richness and bass definition when compared to the ZenITH.
If you definitely don't need storage or ripping then there is now the Innous Pulse which is cheaper and will do the same. The Sense App is also brilliant, as easy to use as BluOS but more powerful, once you get used to the slightly different task pathways (within 5 minutes) you'll love it.
When I got the ZenITH home I tried it without my Mutec MC-3usb in the chain (same as at dealer dem) and never put the Mutec back in, it just wasn't needed.

Last edited:
MOON 280d Mind 2 ( by SIMAUDIO)

I just upgraded to this unit from my BRYSTON BDP1-USB Network player / streamer and BRYSTON BDA-2 DAC stablemates, that were damn good in their own right. Highly recommended.

Features

https://simaudio.com/en/product/280d-streaming-dac/

MOON NEW UNIT Warranty

For original new buyers who register within 30 days from an authorized dealer, , it’s extended for free to 10 years

MOON TRADE-IN Upgrade Path

If you upgrade within one year (1) of purchase from your authorized dealer, MOON will give you 100% of your original purchase price as trade in as long as it is a brand new unit of higher value

If you upgrade within two years (2) of purchase from your authorized dealer, MOON will give you 75% of your original purchase price as reside in as long as it is a brand new unit of higher value

Sample Reviews herein ( Google the rest )

https://darko.audio/2021/07/refined-precision-moon-by-simaudios-280d-streaming-dac/

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/simaudio-moon-280d-streaming-dac-review

https://hifiandmusicsource.com/2021/08/moon-280d-streaming-dac/

https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/moon-announces-upgraded-and-updated-280d-streaming-dac/

If it was me, I'd be upgrading in two separate stages, most probably the dac first, but you're looking at at least £1500 new. The usual suspects of Gustard, Holo, Denafrips and Chord, plenty of info on forums and the net with these brands.

If it was me, I'd be upgrading in two separate stages, most probably the dac first, but you're looking at at least £1500 new. The usual suspects of Gustard, Holo, Denafrips and Chord, plenty of info on forums and the net with these brands.
Sorry, have to disagree, having been where the OP is, the Node is the bottleneck, even the dCS NWB I tried was way better than the Node into the same DAC . A much better digital transport will drag more performance from the DAC.

@Ginger I'll follow your thread closely.

I'm also convinced that my Bluesound Node 2i is the bottleneck in my stereo setup.

I am now seriously considering using a Roon server and whatever streamer I'll use will just be a Roon Endpoint feeding a Denafrips Pontus II.
I subscribe Tidal, Qobuz and I also have a local music library.
At first I'll probably keep the Node 2i but upgrading it will probably happen sooner or later.
Any suggestions for a Roon Endpoint to feed a Pontus II DAC?

Thanks!

Sorry, have to disagree, having been where the OP is, the Node is the bottleneck, even the dCS NWB I tried was way better than the Node into the same DAC . A much better digital transport will drag more performance from the DAC.

I'll agree with you if the op has a budget of £6k, I've assumed he hasn't, of course I could be wrong, if not I think he would be better doing one upgrade at a time. Peoples opinions on whether the dac or streamer makes the most difference could be argued all day. My vote goes to the dac.

Go have a listen to some upper end kit like a Bartok, Linn DSM Klimax and Meridian 818. That will at least give you an idea of what’s possible and whether you can tell the difference. I know that none of those are cheap, but at least it’ll give you some context and then you can think about where you want to pitch your actual budget

Money isn’t my issue but I’ll confess that I wasn’t thinking in terms of £6k!

Nice. :D

I've ordered a Eversong DMP-A6 streamer/dac. there's a thread on here so you could read that and also Google, plenty of stuff on YT, and according to the review I watched the strong point of this unit is the streamer so a better dac could easily be added. I will add my views in 2-3 weeks when I receive it. I use a Lumin U2 mini which I can recommend as well. Lumin,Auralic and Aurender all seem to get good reviews.

Nice. :D

I've ordered a Eversong DMP-A6 streamer/dac. there's a thread on here so you could read that and also Google, plenty of stuff on YT, and according to the review I watched the strong point of this unit is the streamer so a better dac could easily be added. I will add my views in 2-3 weeks when I receive it. I use a Lumin U2 mini which I can recommend as well. Lumin,Auralic and Aurender all seem to get good reviews.
I'll probably test one DMP A6 Master Edition soon. It apparently ticks almost all the boxes (the exceptions being no Linear PSU and no I2S digital out for stereo).

Note that apparently there is no benefit to the Master Edition when used with a separate DAC. Apparently. Which is why I decided to go for the Cooncil Edition.

I’ve just got a TeddyDac as I felt the sound from my cxn v2 was good but not great. Sounded quite boring and almost squeezed together if that makes sense. I added the dac just out of interest to see if it would make a difference and the difference was amazing. It’s come to life! I’m just enjoying listening to the music now. I have to agree with all the reviews about it having an analogue but still detailed sound.
So, I would imagine you’d need to spend quite a bit on a dac to improve the sound. Like others have said I’d imagine the node to be the problem as that’s providing the source. I was wondering whether a streamer transport would improve on the cxn v2, something like an older auralic or innous. Interested to see which path you take. Keep us updated

Note that apparently there is no benefit to the Master Edition when used with a separate DAC. Apparently. Which is why I decided to go for the Cooncil Edition.
Where did you learn that? My friend just ordered the Master Edition for himself, but he'll almost certainly be using an external DAC. If what you say is true, I'm sure he would like to change to the lesser unit.

advertisement

Back